Surround speakers and central channe

kaushik_dhume

Dear all .I own a marantz 1506 and a pair of wharfedale 10.6 towers which I use mostly for music. Was luking to add surround speakers and central channel speaker .Hi fi mart are currently running a discount on wharfedale 10 dfs and 220 c.would this be appropriate for my setup.I am not a big movie buff but would like to occasionally enjoy my movie in Dolby. .also do I need to add a subwoofer ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hi

If you are satisfied with the bass coming from the towers, then you dont need a sub....check the lowest frequencies of the towers and then decide to buy a sub or not....towers usually deliver 35-45hz which is good for music....movies go as low as 20hz...so a sub may be required depending on whats your ratio of music vs movies...

Wharfedale pair well and you can add 10 dfs or the 200s or 210s as surrounds.....center will be the 220...

Taga brand is also good but bit on the brighter side....

If you are open to Polks (specifically RTi series.)...it would be much much better...ProFx would possibly rope in 10% discount...

Buy a center if u watch movies. It will make your movie experience go up ten fold. U will be amazed.

Is it absolutely necessary that my central and surround speaker be of the same make as my towers ( in my case wharfedale) ?.Wharfedale 220C is quite costly when compared to Mission LX-C and MX-C1 ( On HIFI mart ) . Will These be gud enough ? There is also the Taga Harmony PLATINUM C-90 SL and Boston Acoustics A 225C .All of these are in the price range of 10k-13k. Wharfedale costs 17K.
Considering the fact that i am not a big movie buff is it ok to buy one of these cheaper speakers or should i stick toWharfedale? And if the answer is yes which of these would you suggest? What is the difference between LX-c and Mx-c1 ?
Kindly clear my doubts and oblige
Regards

Preferable but not absolutely necessary at all.
Similar size and type of drivers as the 220C will be advantageous.

Is it absolutely necessary that my central and surround speaker be of the same make as my towers ( in my case wharfedale) ?.Wharfedale 220C is quite costly when compared to Mission LX-C and MX-C1 ( On HIFI mart ) . Will These be gud enough ? There is also the Taga Harmony PLATINUM C-90 SL and Boston Acoustics A 225C .All of these are in the price range of 10k-13k. Wharfedale costs 17K.
Considering the fact that i am not a big movie buff is it ok to buy one of these cheaper speakers or should i stick toWharfedale? And if the answer is yes which of these would you suggest? What is the difference between LX-c and Mx-c1 ?
Regards

What is your AVR? From another thread i see, you have Diamond 10.6 FS.. Do you have a sub ?

Edit : I juz saw your AVR on the first post.. Anyways, It would be better to match the center (Wharfedale 220C) with the fronts (Diamond 10.6).. You can have surrounds from different brand..

Last edited:
Regards

There is nothing called absolutely necessary. But if you are looking for a good audio set up, you would want to maintain the same sound signature for at least the front three speakers (RCL). In a 5.1 setup, the center channel does almost 70- 80% of the work while playing movies. So do not cut corners on that. Also you will not want the sound signature to change while the audio (say dialogue) shifts from the center to L/R channels. Speakers from different manufacturers (even different series from same manufacturer) sound quite different.
You have a little more tolerance with the rear channels and you can use other brands provided you do not intend to play music with all channels driven. Hope this helps. :)

What is your AVR? From another thread i see, you have Diamond 10.6 FS.. Do you have a sub ?

Edit : I juz saw your AVR on the first post.. Anyways, It would be better to match the center (Wharfedale 220C) with the fronts (Diamond 10.6).. You can have surrounds from different brand..
Ok. Really greatful for your reply

There is nothing called absolutely necessary. But if you are looking for a good audio set up, you would want to maintain the same sound signature for at least the front three speakers (RCL). In a 5.1 setup, the center channel does almost 70- 80% of the work while playing movies. So do not cut corners on that. Also you will not want the sound signature to change while the audio (say dialogue) shifts from the center to L/R channels. Speakers from different manufacturers (even different series from same manufacturer) sound quite different.
You have a little more tolerance with the rear channels and you can use other brands provided you do not intend to play music with all channels driven. Hope this helps. :)
This helps immensely. Thanks a lot .

Ter is a preowned whafedale diamond 10cc available for sale. User has used for 5 months only. supposed to be in mint condition. Will it match my 10.6 towers ?

I have audition WD 220c center speaker . Really very nice Center speakar, a lot better than what you have mentioned above. Invest adequately in Center speakar and will enhance your movie watching experience.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back