SVS PB-1000 or BIC PL-200 II?

pantpank

Hello,

On the recommendation of one of the forum members, I have shortlisted the mentioned subs in the title. My budget was restricted to 40k but I might increase it a bit to get SVS PB 1000 provided if its really worth the extra price. I haven't audition either of the subs as I live in a small town. I will be building up a dedicated HT room with some basics room acoustics done and floor carpet. My room dimensions are 13 feet (L) X 11 feet (W) X 10 feet (H). My requirements from the sub are to give crisp and tight bass that fills up the room. It will be 100% for movies only.

My current setup-

AVR- Onkyo HTIB S3300 receiver (no pre-out for sub)
Sub- Onkyp htib S3300 passive sub
Front LCR - Pioneer Andrew Jones SP FS52 floorstands and C22 center channel
Rear- Old kenwood hifi speakers

My question is-

1) Can my Onkyo receiver (with no preout) be connected to SVS-PB1000 or BIC PL 200II? I have seen the pics of both the subs, the BIC PL-200 has high level input and output, but the SVS-PB 1000 has only high level speaker level input and no output. So will I have problem connecting SVS sub to my old Onkyo receiver?

2) Will SVS PB-1000 be really worth the extra money in terms of sound quality and my requirements? Since my room is not big enough and will be acoustically treated, will BIC-PL200ii suffice my needs?

PS: I will be getting a denon 2500h or Pioneer LX 302 when i have enough budget maybe in 4-5 months, so it will solve the sub pre-out problem but now just want to upgrade my sub for better sound performance.

Last edited:
Hello,

On the recommendation of one of the forum members, I have shortlisted the mentioned subs in the title. My budget was restricted to 40k but I might increase it a bit to get SVS PB 1000 provided if its really worth the extra price. I haven't audition either of the subs as I live in a small town. I will be building up a dedicated HT room with some basics room acoustics done and floor carpet. My room dimensions are 13 feet (L) X 11 feet (W) X 10 feet (H). My requirements from the sub are to give crisp and tight bass that fills up the room. It will be 100% for movies only.

My current setup-

My question is-

1) Can my Onkyo receiver (with no preout) be connected to SVS-PB1000 or BIC PL 200II? I have seen the pics of both the subs, the BIC PL-200 has high level input and output, but the SVS-PB 1000 has only high level speaker level input and no output. So will I have problem connecting SVS sub to my old Onkyo receiver?.

I use a BIC PL 200 and yes you can connect the same to your AVR....As per SVS PB 1000 manual...page 10/11, you can make similar connections to your front speakers......you may lose out on the actual bass signals as my understanding is that these would ideally go to the dedicated woofer section of AVR.......you can perhaps try connecting one side (Either L or R) from sub to this woofer section of avr....

Hello,

My current setup-

My question is-

2) Will SVS PB-1000 be really worth the extra money in terms of sound quality and my requirements? Since my room is not big enough and will be acoustically treated, will BIC-PL200ii suffice my needs? .

Honestly you need to decide.....not many are using the PB 1000 but read many comments on this forum and external about the SB 1000 / 2000 models which work well in an acoustic treated room.

BIC as a brand is value for money, i did not want to invest in SVS as honestly,,,,in a given day...i would use the system for 4 hours...weekends maybe 6-8 hours each day.....it all depends on what one wants.....I am using this brand now (2 different models) over past 3 years now and i can say it is a good decent sub which performs well for music and movies......clean tight bass.....

As per your location (Gurgaon) if you can visit Delhi, there are many dealers who can provide auditions....carry your favorite movie clip and music and decide.....there are dedicated owner threads for major brands where you can refer to first hand feedback......(Taga/Yamaha/Marantz/BIC America/Pioneer/ NAD)

Hello,

My current setup-

PS: I will be getting a denon 2500h or Pioneer LX 302 when i have enough budget maybe in 4-5 months, so it will solve the sub pre-out problem but now just want to upgrade my sub for better sound performance.

In a couple of months there could be new AVR models being launched......this gives you a chance to purchase a flagship model of existing models or one down models at an affordable price.....keep a look out and purchase the best.....do your homework around features and pricing....

All the best!

Hello,

While I dont know much of the Bic, the SVS PB1000 was very disappointing to me. It is such a huge sub and produces so low amount of bass. One its a 10 inch driver and it got beater by my age old deftech prosub 200tl. So not sure of the BIC but wouldnt recomment the PB1000.

My budget was restricted to 40k but I might increase it a bit to get SVS PB 1000 provided if its really worth the extra price

1) Can my Onkyo receiver (with no preout) be connected to SVS-PB1000 or BIC PL 200II? I have seen the pics of both the subs, the BIC PL-200 has high level input and output, but the SVS-PB 1000 has only high level speaker level input and no output. So will I have problem connecting SVS sub to my old Onkyo receiver?

1) You can set all the speakers (except fronts) to small in AVR, so the bass is directed to L & R speakers.. Sure you can take L/R speaker output from AVR to subwoofer.. This way the subwoofer receives the same signal as your fronts, you may limit using the subwoofer crossover..

2) If you would like to use active sub with your HTIB AVR, then choosing a sub with high level inputs & outputs is good as you can effectively use the crossover on the subwoofer, unlike above scenario..

In any of the above cases, there would be too many wires and it could be clumsy.. IMO, you should upgrade your AVR first and then add subwoofers..

Thanks for the info FMs! :)

efernand1 has made a valid point of diminishing returns. Even I don't feel I would be spending more than 2-3 hours in a given day, so it will be better to stick to my budget. By the way, I have moved out of Gurgaon long time back and now living in my small hometown ( forgot to update the location in my profile), so the audition is not possible. But on the suggestions of FMs and good reviews of BIC FL200ii, I will go for it. Also, thanks to elangoas for confirming the compatibility of BIC sub with my HTIB AVR. Since at the moment I have only 50k in my budget, so can invest either on a new AVR or on a sub. Would be hard to wait for another 5-6 months to get a good sub if I upgrade the AVR first, as I would be missing out on good bass while watching movies.

Hey,

Yes thats a Good decision to go with the BIC. Its a lovely sub in that price range and should keep you happy for a couple of years.

Where are you planning to pick it from? I spotted a dealer selling a sealed box in Delhi. You could check him out at your discretion. BIC America Acoustech PL-200ii

MaSh

Hey,

Yes thats a Good decision to go with the BIC. Its a lovely sub in that price range and should keep you happy for a couple of years.

Where are you planning to pick it from? I spotted a dealer selling a sealed box in Delhi. You could check him out at your discretion. BIC America Acoustech PL-200ii

MaSh
Planning to get it from Amazon. Its available for 40k. Or maybe i will get it from some dealer in Bangalore, visiting there next month so will check if i get better offer than Amazon

I have been using BIC PL200 for a year. It is truly a value for money product for its specification and the frequency range. Considering your location , you could listen to the sub woofer test videos in Youtube for the SVS and BIC.

In my case, I couldn't audition considering my location but purely from the benefit of doubt, I went for PL200 sub. It is really a good subwoofer. You could talk to PAH guys and ask for a discount. It will be a great sub for sure and you would enjoy its bass with no doubt.

Check this thread for more information on BIC America sub woofer threads.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/suggestions-on-bic-america-f12.67511/
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/bic-america-speakers-subwoofers-owners-thread.68324/

Planning to get it from Amazon. Its available for 40k. Or maybe i will get it from some dealer in Bangalore, visiting there next month so will check if i get better offer than Amazon

The box would be heavier and the packing is big. Please make sure your mode of transportation in case you are picking it up in person.

If you are visiting Bangalore, then great. There are numerous outlets like Pro FX, DNI, HTSTORE, etc which you can visit and decide.

MaSh

BIC option sounds gr8. SVS-PB 1000 are not retailing at 45k any more..I saw it in 70K range somewhere.Even HT store quotes much high now.

Proaudiohome provides a warranty card and they are listed with BIC America as authorised dealers..... @sriram_shol had checked before he made the purchase.....

be careful of Amazon...practically anyone sells on Amazon and provides Seller warranty......make sure proper warranty is provided...you can always email BIC America to check by providing the dealer details.....

If you are open to other options Velodyne product line is absolute bang for buck.
the Impact series is a superb product line and costs much less. Have been using Impact 12 MK2 for more than a year now and i am more than satisfied with the output.

You can also look into the XTZ brand. The Xtz 10.17 is a great sub. My friend has it and it is very clean and loud. It has lot of mid bass and also goes deep. You have 3 equalizer presets to tune the sub to you liking and you also alter the port tuning with the port plugs provided. This sub may not go as low as the pb1000, but definitely better than the pb1000 in all other aspects. And they are beautiful too

Hello all!! Got the BIC pl 200 ii delivered today and connected with my onkyo htib avr through its subwoofer section to left speaker level input in the sub and put on some movie clips; the bass produced by the sub is the best i have ever heard!! Its simply amazing! The difference in the sound quality between the htib passive sub and BIC sun is of night and day. Its a huge improvement exactly what i was looking for. Couldn't be more satisfied. Thanks all the FMs who suggested this sub to me !
Just wanted to know if i make the connection by connecting the sub through left and right channels section on avr and then connecting the left n right speakers through the sub ( in avr setting the subwoofer will be - no subwoofer, so all the bass will go to the left right channels and the sub crossover will pass signal above 80 hz to front speakers), will there be any improvement in the sound?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back