Synergy: What Speaker-Amplifier combinations work really well?

5-10 mins work for excel geek ;)
That’s a thoughtful and generous gesture @amrutmhatre90
Thank you.

A suggestion for everyone’s consideration:

The question should be “what’s the ONE amp speaker combination that you heard and felt it was the best you ever heard
One per person…the one combo they think is/was the best. (Editable)
Specific model numbers of the amp and speakers needed to get on the list.
One to three sentences expressing or describing the synergy and sound (optional?)
This way the list may be more useful, simple, interesting and popular

Any thoughts?

The question should be “what’s the ONE amp speaker combination that you heard and felt it was the best you ever heard
One to three sentences expressing or describing the synergy and sound (optional?)

Any thoughts?
That will be extremely though to put it mildly

Thanks. Mention of specific models of these brands would be more useful than general mention of brands.
Also add a brief description of your experience with these and what made these combinations special to you if you can
I have used parasound halo with PMC twenty 23, it was very good, before i was using parasound with excite 34, PMC far better than dyns in detail, bass was less compared to dyns.

The best combination i personally experienced was the Burmester & Dynaudio combination.
Don't recall exact model numbers though
Burmester - 911 pre power
Dynaudio - Either Confidence or Evidence FS.

Am sure there are better pairings. This is the best my ears allowed me to.

Here's mine.

Room size: 11' x 13'
Altec 604e | (802/414) and Tubelab 300b /2a3 /6L6

The 604s are in 8 Cu.ft cabinets and work just fine. There's no bass bloat or bloom. Source is laptop USB out to Topping DACs --> Preamp --> Power amps. I personally haven't found the room to be a problem.

Here's mine.

Room size: 11' x 13'
Altec 604e | (802/414) and Tubelab 300b /2a3 /6L6

The 604s are in 8 Cu.ft cabinets and work just fine. There's no bass bloat or bloom. Source is laptop USB out to Topping DACs --> Preamp --> Power amps. I personally haven't found the room to be a problem.
Your set up sounds worthy of a picture. Please share some if you can.

Not to dilute the intent of this thread, but is there any known synergies of DACs with particular amp and speaker pairings as well?

One of the biggest challenges in the pursuit of good audio quality is equipment matching.
I have bought good quality amps and speakers which were reviewed well (subjectively and objectively) from different brands that did not work well together and left me feeling indifferent and even bored listening to them.

Given the number of brands and models available it is impossible for anyone to try out more than a handful of combos.
But all of us have heard some systems where the synergy is wonderful. A good list would be useful to us all

Please share Amplifier and Speaker combinations that you have personally heard and loved (mention Source/Transport and DAC used if relevant). A few lines describing what you heard that made the combination special would be nice.
I used to have wharfedale diamond 220 with norge 2060 amp as my first setup. The system was entry level but the pair was exceptional and so natural and good sounding. It does surprise you every now and then and you will never get bored listening to it.

Now I am using Q accustics 3050i with cambridge cxa60 which costs a lot more than my previous setup and sounds good but not as good as the wharfedale-norge pair. The sound is clean and detailed but the sound is very controlled and predictable makes you wonder something is not right.

I strongly recomend any wharfedale speakers as per your budget as they are very natural and laid back sounding and pair them with a amp that is clean yet exciting and does not try to controll things around. Probably audiolab 6000A will be a good match as it has that character.

That’s a thoughtful and generous gesture @amrutmhatre90
Thank you.

Any thoughts?
Living Voice OBX/RW something speakers with Engstrom Arne 300b PP integrated amp.
Serious stereo 2a3 monoblocks amp with Altec Valencia (modified by SS) speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting story on the topic of system synergy by Thomas (of Thomas and Stereo)

Must watch video, even one of his nephew is a good watch.

One needs to try different things in his setup to achieve end game and get perfect synergy. It is a expensive hobby :p

I have created a Small Online Document listing down most of the combinations noted down on this thread, if someone can update rest it will be a great help.
But going forward people can update on this document:

View attachment 66540

To Search a combination and their user views one can select either Amplifier or Speaker (any one)
This list can be refined further.

Thanks, man :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back