Tannoy Mercury v41 - Cracking sound

prafful.nagwani

Hi Everyone,

I have a set of Tannoy Mercury V41 tower speakers. One of the speakers (left) throws some cracking sound now a days. Any idea what it could be and how I can sort it out?

Thanks in advance for the help and support.

Best Regards,
PN

Hello @prafful.nagwani, I too had similar issue when I got my Elacs long back. Few questions:
1) Is the cracking constant or off and on
2) Have you swapped the speakers and checked if the cracking moves with the speaker
3) Is the sound from HF or LF driver
4) Is it volume dependent
5) Any change of cables or anything in your rig recently
6) Did the speaker fall or something or someone tried to poke finger in the driver
7) Any visible damage to the driver
8) Is cracking sound there during silent passage or between the songs also

Hope above points give you a direction

Thanks for the quick response. I am posting the answers to the questions below.

1. Is the cracking constant or off and on? - The cracking sound is constant
2. Have you swapped the speakers and checked if the cracking moves with the speaker? - I have swapped the speakers the cracking sound comes only from one of them
3. Is the sound from HF or LF driver? - LF driver. Not sure though, if I move the same speaker to the right, it comes from the right
4. Is it volume dependent ? - No. The intensity does vary though. Higher cracking sound as higher volumes
5. Any change of cables or anything in your rig recently? - Nope
6. Did the speaker fall or something or someone tried to poke finger in the driver?- Not that I know of :)
7. Any visible damage to the driver? - I don't see any visible damage
8. Is cracking sound there during silent passage or between the songs also? - I think it's only during playing of audio

Thanks for the quick response. I am posting the answers to the questions below.

1. Is the cracking constant or off and on? - The cracking sound is constant
2. Have you swapped the speakers and checked if the cracking moves with the speaker? - I have swapped the speakers the cracking sound comes only from one of them
3. Is the sound from HF or LF driver? - LF driver. Not sure though, if I move the same speaker to the right, it comes from the right
4. Is it volume dependent ? - No. The intensity does vary though. Higher cracking sound as higher volumes
5. Any change of cables or anything in your rig recently? - Nope
6. Did the speaker fall or something or someone tried to poke finger in the driver?- Not that I know of :)
7. Any visible damage to the driver? - I don't see any visible damage
8. Is cracking sound there during silent passage or between the songs also? - I think it's only during playing of audio
Seems to be driver issue. Can you move the driver cone with 2 fingers kept opposite to each other and try to push the LF driver slowly and see if the cone movement is smooth or rough. If rough that means coil is touching the magnet. Do this with both LF drivers on the speaker cabinet that is giving this issue.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back