Tannoy Mercury V4i - AVR Suggestions requested

Hello All,

I was using Denon AVR-1912 with Tannoy Mercury V4i almost for 4 years until my AVR stopped working a month back. Now AVR shows some Chinese characters at screen display and doesn’t produce any sound. As per service center, we need a new PCB board which I reckon is not available in the market for a UK model.

In the past, I had bought Denon AVR first and auditioned various speakers to shortlist my Tannoy’s. Now that my AVR has broken down, I am bit intrigued which AVR will be best suited for Tannoy’s.

It will be hard for me to take my floor standers to audition AVRs. Please can I request you to throw some suggestions and best way forward?
Your expertise will be much appreciated.

Thanks
This avr fault has given you chance to move to stereo amp go for stereo.

Hi, I have tested the NR1504 extensively in stereo and HT setups driving a variety of speakers with different loads. It has performed exceedingly well. Since you liked the NR series I suggest you stick to it. Though Marantz claims lower power ratings I never found their AVRs wanting for power unless in extreme situations and big halls. Another advantage is that they sound good in stereo as well plus the Networking features etc. If you can increase the budget to 60k then the SR5012 is an extremely good choice. I like the Marantz, it adds sparkle to the sound in MY ears (mine alone, for yours u need to decide)

Further, pl remember that the biggest scam reg AVRs is the power outputs claimed by makers. I have a vintage NAD stereo receiver with a claimed 20 watts matching my Onkyo's powerful SR875 in many aspects particularly the decibel levels at 10'o clock position. It's plain nonsense if you ask me. I had used around 7 AVRs (I mostly buy used and upgrade or change within a year or two -the 875 being the exception) and found NAD / Marantz the most truthful. Yamaha / Onkyo claim higher ratings but tend to distort easily. I had briefly used a Denon 1912 but quickly sold it off as I found it very weak. The sound stage was never there to engulf you as reqd for HT.

So power wise you are much better off with a stand alone Integrated, but since you decided to have an AVR you rather buy a reasonably powerful one and be at peace. You don't seem to have the (dirty) itch to upgrade quickly (like me) so better stretch a bit and get the powerful SR5012 and be done with it. It will safely help you cross this decade without becoming obsolete. It may prove to be a cheaper option than having to upgrade after 3/4 years. Pl keep us posted about your purchase and brief experience.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Hi, I have tested the NR1504 extensively in stereo and HT setups driving a variety of speakers with different loads. It has performed exceedingly well. Since you liked the NR series I suggest you stick to it. Though Marantz claims lower power ratings I never found their AVRs wanting for power unless in extreme situations and big halls. Another advantage is that they sound good in stereo as well plus the Networking features etc. If you can increase the budget to 60k then the SR5012 is an extremely good choice. I like the Marantz, it adds sparkle to the sound in MY ears (mine alone, for yours u need to decide)

Further, pl remember that the biggest scam reg AVRs is the power outputs claimed by makers. I have a vintage NAD stereo receiver with a claimed 20 watts matching my Onkyo's powerful SR875 in many aspects particularly the decibel levels at 10'o clock position. It's plain nonsense if you ask me. I had used around 7 AVRs (I mostly buy used and upgrade or change within a year or two -the 875 being the exception) and found NAD / Marantz the most truthful. Yamaha / Onkyo claim higher ratings but tend to distort easily. I had briefly used a Denon 1912 but quickly sold it off as I found it very weak. The sound stage was never there to engulf you as reqd for HT.

So power wise you are much better off with a stand alone Integrated, but since you decided to have an AVR you rather buy a reasonably powerful one and be at peace. You don't seem to have the (dirty) itch to upgrade quickly (like me) so better stretch a bit and get the powerful SR5012 and be done with it. It will safely help you cross this decade without becoming obsolete. It may prove to be a cheaper option than having to upgrade after 3/4 years. Pl keep us posted about your purchase and brief experience.

Cheers...

Hi Gautam,

Many thanks for sharing your detailed view, it is really helpful. Basis your inputs, I consulted another dealer in Delhi (Bass and Treble) today and they too confirmed that with floor standers NR series is not a good match.

I too would like to stretch for SR 5012 considering inputs received from dealers, forum members and yourself. However, let me assess if I can do that immediately.

I wanted to consider used ones however, I hardly get any options for used ones in Delhi. And without auditioning it is hard to take a call. I wonder how you manage to upgrade every two years and take risk of buying a used ones (albeit they might have been repaired)?

Thanks a lot.

Hi, I buy & sell mostly thru this forum so never had any issue. If you are open to buy a used one, I strongly suggest you to stick to this forum. Start a wanted thread and you may be surprised to see the choices. However if you want to be extra cautious buy from reputed FMs only. Just see their previous posts and ratings & you will know whom you are dealing with.

Secondly I have a separate stereo setup on which I spend the max and mostly buy new. Yesterday only I received my new Castle Knight 2s. HT doesn't fascinate me much, so I keep changing the components when bored. However since I got the Onkyo 875 which is a beast of an AVR I am sort of settled with amplification and don't mind loosing on the latest sound processing modes like Atmos etc since the content is limited.

Thanks All.
Hi All,

Just to further update. I have decided to increase my budget and take a leap to grab Marantz SR 5013 (it will be costing little expensive to SR 5012. Might be the reason is SR 5014 is already out).

I enquired it through Marantz US and they guided me to distributor Audio House Distribution PVT Ltd. (I reckon both MZ Audio and Audio House are same. Is it?) in India. After contacting Arshad, I was in turn guided to a dealer (Solution Tree) in Delhi. Additionally, checked it with Bass & Treble, Delhi however, they have stopped encouraging for Marantz due to service issues.

Instead, they suggested me to go for Yamaha RXV 685. Although reading through the forums I understand Yamaha’s sound signature are bit bright, I have decided to give it a shot. I plan to audition both sets with my Tannoy’s over the weekend and shall update.

Meanwhile, can I check with you guys, your view on comparison between Yamaha RX-V 685 and Marantz SR 5013? Is service with Marantz really an issue? Additionally how does SR 5013 compared to SR 5012?

One last thing what does ‘2 channel driven’ means in ‘100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven’ for Marantz?

I have auditioned T M V4i with Denon AVR in past and found them to be little bright with bouncy sound signature. Low frequencies were tight and agile. It is also understood than Yamaha is more bright than Denon so pairing with T M V4i so pairing without audition is courage's decision. As you are considering entry level avr , they tends to be bright and brittal on high volume. It is advisable to audition Marantz before as it has warm sound signature more suited to V4i. Instead of entry level , I will suggest to go for little powerful pre-owned AVR/IA at the cost of little feature . Within 30k you can have great pre-owned AVR/IA than entry level. Recently one of the FM has listed his Marantz PMA 7005 IA which is a great buy for stereo setup as it has USB DAC audio port for laptop/PC.

I have auditioned T M V4i with Denon AVR in past and found them to be little bright with bouncy sound signature. Low frequencies were tight and agile. It is also understood than Yamaha is more bright than Denon so pairing with T M V4i so pairing without audition is courage's decision. As you are considering entry level avr , they tends to be bright and brittal on high volume. It is advisable to audition Marantz before as it has warm sound signature more suited to V4i. Instead of entry level , I will suggest to go for little powerful pre-owned AVR/IA at the cost of little feature . Within 30k you can have great pre-owned AVR/IA than entry level. Recently one of the FM has listed his Marantz PMA 7005 IA which is a great buy for stereo setup as it has USB DAC audio port for laptop/PC.

Thanks a lot.

I had bought Denon AVR 1912 first and shortlisted T M V4i after auditioning at least 3 to 4 pair of speakers with different brands. I was fine with the combo however, I always felt that I have to crank the volume really high to get detailed sound. I felt T M V4i sounded warm with Denon AVR 1912.

Indeed, I plan to audition both Yamaha and Marantz before making any decision. Additionally, I wanted to give pre-owned AVRs a shot however, here in Delhi we hardly see any listings of pre-owned AVRs that I can audition first and then buy. If you have view of any listings in Delhi, please feel free to share it with me.

I am interested in AVR as I wish to increase my set up to 5.1.

Hi All,

Just to update. I auditioned Yamaha RXV 685, Marantz NR 1509 and SR 6013 (although I specifically wanted to audition 5013 during my scheduled appointment but at the very moment it wasn't available for audition. I was convinced by the dealer there is hardly difference for 10wpc) with my Tannoy Mercury V4i.

Yamaha was no match with Tannoy and I was very disappointed. Although I liked NR 1509 with my towers however, when I listened to SR 6013 it was awesome, a notch above. I liked the combination very much and cant ask for more.

Although, forum members here suggested to go for SR 5012, I am getting 5013 at 10k more. I hope you would agree to spend this extra 10k for 2018 model?

Additionally, I am not sure how should I know if the dealer I will be buying from is an authorized dealer? Please share your view if any on the choice and buying tips.

Thanks.

Short update. Ordered Marantz SR5013. Delivery is a nightmare.

I was given a delivery date of week back however was later told stock isn’t available. Last Friday was given an option to upgrade to SR6013 at minimal difference as 5013 isn’t available. I agreed and then later learnt I will only get SR5013 by yesterday as they realised SR6013 has wide price difference.

Got to know yesterday that I will not get SR5013 until next week as the distributor doesn’t have it in stock and the one that was expected to be delivered to me yesterday was for another dealer.

Marantz rocks so does the dealers and distributor. I am nervous if buying is a nightmare and words are not being honoured then what would happen with service?

Just a quick update. I got Marantz SR 5014 as an upgrade. I am pleased with the purchase.

This forum has been very helpful to me in the past and all times. I am thankful to all the forum members for all their inputs and suggestions. Thank you so much.

Just to share my brief view of SR 5014 with 2.0 set up.

Pros: Sound detailing is amazing, better than my previous Denon. Calibration through Audessy provided further clarity and was cherry on the top. I used it to watch movies on 2.0 set up itself and I am very pleased with that as well.

Cons: I am not sure if it is due to quality of the input/music format as, I was streaming my music through Apple Music/Amazon however, at times I have found few details to be way too soft. Of course, I am not an audiophile, however, with certain tracks playing with such details my expectations are increasing incrementally

All in all very happy to take a leap and enhance my budget to buy this beast.

Just a quick update. I got Marantz SR 5014 as an upgrade. I am pleased with the purchase.

This forum has been very helpful to me in the past and all times. I am thankful to all the forum members for all their inputs and suggestions. Thank you so much.

Just to share my brief view of SR 5014 with 2.0 set up.

Pros: Sound detailing is amazing, better than my previous Denon. Calibration through Audessy provided further clarity and was cherry on the top. I used it to watch movies on 2.0 set up itself and I am very pleased with that as well.

Cons: I am not sure if it is due to quality of the input/music format as, I was streaming my music through Apple Music/Amazon however, at times I have found few details to be way too soft. Of course, I am not an audiophile, however, with certain tracks playing with such details my expectations are increasing incrementally

All in all very happy to take a leap and enhance my budget to buy this beast.

Congrats Vikram. Marantz has a slight soft & warm signature which some find very pleasing whereas others may want a forward sounding receiver. If you are finding some tracks soft whereas others very detailed then I suspect it has more to do with the recording quality of the track rather than the system. A good system will expose bad tracks & will shine with excellent recorded tracks.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back