Tata Sky - new STB with component out & MPEG4

Service providers (TS, BIG etc) dont manufacture their STB. They are sourced from various companies (humax, Samsung, etc).
So when they finalize on a model, the model they chose might have certain ports standard on the hardware. However, the companies they source it from will charge them some money for activation of the features ( Like movie playback feature on samsung and LG tvs).

What speci to look for other than Component Output in settop box?
I m thinking of shifting to Tatasky from Dishtv.Current settopbox(zenega)started to load slowly & may need sevicing.As it is not in warrenty ,I will get newer.

The new Sky Box is made by Thomson. I love the new down sized remote. The other one; though very easy to use is nearly the size of a brick. As mentioned during the start of this thread the new remote is an exact copy of the original in shape, color & button layout but the new set top box has a very slight lag in responding to the remote.

and the keys on the new remote are spongier and less responsive.....so i prefer the older one. Thankfully the Tata Sky+ unit has the old remote and I am happy about that :)

The new Sky Box is made by Thomson. I love the new down sized remote. The other one; though very easy to use is nearly the size of a brick. As mentioned during the start of this thread the new remote is an exact copy of the original in shape, color & button layout but the new set top box has a very slight lag in responding to the remote.

I had posted a query on black STB of TS to their online cell. They called back to tell me that silver one is what they give still.

He had no clue about the Black set top boxes.
"Sorry sir, composite out only for TS+. There is now new black STB for tata sky"
:rolleyes:

Is this box for Rs.1700? or more.
There are few boxes with HDMI out?not in India.

PVR Set Top Boxes Manufacturers & Suppliers | Global Sources

new BIGtv has USB & SPDF out too-

BIG TV Latest Set Top Box Review | DTH Services

I got mine for RS.1599 and I paid another Rs.500 for installation. And its the new black set top box with component out. As I booked my Tata Sky online (I gave my contact details and got a call from their customer care), I also got 1 month of free subscription.

I got mine for RS.1599 and I paid another Rs.500 for installation. And its the new black set top box with component out. As I booked my Tata Sky online (I gave my contact details and got a call from their customer care), I also got 1 month of free subscription.

Thats gr8,I was told @croma no free subscription.
I just checked local dealor & found box was packed.Saw just Thomson & forgot model no.

Can you update model no & settopbox review?

Thats gr8,I was told @croma no free subscription.
I just checked local dealor & found box was packed.Saw just Thomson & forgot model no.

Can you update model no & settopbox review?

Initially I also had planned to purchase Tata sky from Croma,but I was also told that the box is packed and they have no idea which set top box is there (black/white). And this 1 month free subscription offer is only through online purchase (not through dealer).

Will update the model no. and its review shortly.:)

Now that the huge discount on old Tata Sky-PLUS STB is over, do we know if they are launching a new DVR box with MPEG4?

Thanks,
Sharad

Now that the huge discount on old Tata Sky-PLUS STB is over, do we know if they are launching a new DVR box with MPEG4?

Thanks,
Sharad

i mean i don't think they will TS+ STB is already a MPEG4 capable.
only thing is the TS+ is only DVB-S,compared to TS new black STB which is DVB-S2.

In addition to the missing DVB-S2, I have heard that the TS+ STB uses MPEG4 only for encoding the recording. The incoming signal processing is still MPEG2.

Thanks,
Sharad

In addition to the missing DVB-S2, I have heard that the TS+ STB uses MPEG4 only for encoding the recording. The incoming signal processing is still MPEG2.

Thanks,
Sharad

well all MPEG4 STB can handle MPEG2,so yes the transmission is still in MPEG2.not sure about recording part.

well if u do want to see imrpoved PQ check out BIG tv all their STBs have component out and the transmission is also of better quality.

I got Big TV AND IT IS HORRIBLE.

Heavy pixellation is evident and PQ is inferior to TataSky.

Tata Sky isn't good either; but some of the channels like Discovery, Nat Geo, ESPN, Star Cricket are noticeably better on TATA Sky... especially Star Cricket...

Tata Sky isn't good either; but some of the channels like Discovery, Nat Geo, ESPN, Star Cricket are noticeably better on TATA Sky... especially Star Cricket...

well its unfortunte that u find it horrible,compared to a DVD ,yes i would agree.but compared to TS,i am sorry i don't agree.
even in this very forum many people own both big tv some own both big and even TS+,they clearly prefered Big tv for PQ.i own both big tv and airtel.i again prefer big tv pq..
if u again go to forums deticated to DTH the general opinion is still the same,big tv has superior quality.
besider 2 to 3 magazines compared the quality of all dth,they found big tv PQ the best.

pixelation is there in virtualy every DTH provider.now if ur tv is a old model then their is nothing much one can do.

Last edited:

Well PQ is relative,position of Dish,Distance from settopbox to antenna,surroungs(buildings)
In my case with Dishtv,sometimes I get V.good PQ .no pixelation at all,I feel stil I need TATASKY?

Well, this is contrary to whatever we heard so far about BigTV (Good PQ, but big freakin logo).
Anyways, perhaps the Dish is mounted in such a way that you might be getting a lot of errors in signal (in tata sky & sky+ stb we have "Signal" section in settings that show the signal strength and quality.

My take on BIG TV..

well its unfortunte that u find it horrible,compared to a DVD ,yes i would agree.but compared to TS,i am sorry i don't agree.
even in this very forum many people own both big tv some own both big and even TS+,they clearly prefered Big tv for PQ.i own both big tv and airtel.i again prefer big tv pq..
if u again go to forums deticated to DTH the general opinion is still the same,big tv has superior quality.
besider 2 to 3 magazines compared the quality of all dth,they found big tv PQ the best.

pixelation is there in virtualy every DTH provider.now if ur tv is a old model then their is nothing much one can do.

I read that review (Probably CHIP). They wrote absolutely nothing on picture quality. It was a retarded review, if you ask me...

Regarding Big TV and TATA Sky, let me tell you that I have zero bias... and I have a particular aversion towards some TATA products like their Indigo... :lol:

So no question of being a TATA fanboy... ;)

Which channels do you find to be better on Big TV?

I am not a movie buff.. I just watch Cricket and Nat Geo/Discovery/News from time to time.

And in those channels, I found TATA Sky to be waaay better.

BIG TV undoubtedly has better colours (due to Component out), but motion compensation artifacts(read blocky squares) is noticeably higher on most Big TV channels.

And I got a brand new Bravia (KLV32V-550A/B, if I remember right) with the screen set to 4:3 (I hate those stretched pictures)

Plus, the BIG TV box hangs from time to time! :lol:

Well PQ is relative,position of Dish,Distance from settopbox to antenna,surroungs(buildings)
In my case with Dishtv,sometimes I get V.good PQ .no pixelation at all,I feel stil I need TATASKY?

I no longer have Dish TV.... but I found it to be somewhere between TataSKY and BigTV...

ESPN used to have a huge problem on DishTV when I tried it several months ago.

The cricket pitch used to have exaggerated contrast and it was next to impossible to distinguish the white cricket ball from the pitch. TATA Sky never had this problem.

Well, this is contrary to whatever we heard so far about BigTV (Good PQ, but big freakin logo).
Anyways, perhaps the Dish is mounted in such a way that you might be getting a lot of errors in signal (in tata sky & sky+ stb we have "Signal" section in settings that show the signal strength and quality.

I find the BIG TV picture in the Reliance showroom to be identical to what I see on my Bravia... so no antenna issues here.

Re: My take on BIG TV..

I read that review (Probably CHIP). They wrote absolutely nothing on picture quality. It was a retarded review, if you ask me...

Regarding Big TV and TATA Sky, let me tell you that I have zero bias... and I have a particular aversion towards some TATA products like their Indigo... :lol:

So no question of being a TATA fanboy... ;)

Which channels do you find to be better on Big TV?

I am not a movie buff.. I just watch Cricket and Nat Geo/Discovery/News from time to time.

And in those channels, I found TATA Sky to be waaay better.

BIG TV undoubtedly has better colours (due to Component out), but motion compensation artifacts(read blocky squares) is noticeably higher on most Big TV channels.

And I got a brand new Bravia (KLV32V-550A/B, if I remember right) with the screen set to 4:3 (I hate those stretched pictures)

Plus, the BIG TV box hangs from time to time! :lol:

ESPN used to have a huge problem on DishTV when I tried it several months ago.

The cricket pitch used to have exaggerated contrast and it was next to impossible to distinguish the white cricket ball from the pitch. TATA Sky never had this problem.

I find the BIG TV picture in the Reliance showroom to be identical to what I see on my Bravia... so no antenna issues here.

well whats ur tv setting including the backlight settings and settings under advanced menu.
also what version of stb do u have STB1,STB2,STB3.

btw i don't watch much of sports channels,the only time i watch star sports or ESPN is when their is F1 or moto gp,both of which are shot in HD cameras.

movie channels are so good in BIG tv,like ZEE studio.so are channels discovery T&L etc.

big tv STB used to hang,if u look at my early post about big tv ,i used to complain a lot,in this and various other forums.but i can't say the same now,it rarely hangs.
also every STB that big tv has gives a slightly different picture,in terms of contrast and brightness.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back