Tata Sky Plus +

Jagat

Tata Sky Plus

Tata Sky Plus claims to have started a service that will change the way you watch television forever.

Tata Sky+ is a premium set-top box with a personal video recorder that allows you to record up to 45 hours of live TV. Tata Sky+ gives you the power to record one programme while watching another, pause a live telecast and even rewind a TV programme that you are watching.

For more info -> DTH ?? Tata Sky DTH in India, Leading Satellite Television Provider in India, DTH services by Tata Sky, Direct-to-home, India

I think that I finally have a reason to switch to DTH!

Again seems no HDMI !!!!!!!
Also 160 GB seems less now 500 GB becomes sooooo cheap.
Actually what not set top box + 1 tb storage + media sever supporting lossless audio,video & images+ 5.1 Digital out + HDMI

DO I DREAM TOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Jagat....this new STB costs some 9k, plus 50k a month extra.....and it has 160 GB storage and no HDMI or component......honestly i don't think it's worth the extra money. Wait for these buggers to launch their high definition STBs....and then switch.....

hey Jagat....this new STB costs some 9k, plus 50k a month extra.....and it has 160 GB storage and no HDMI or component......honestly i don't think it's worth the extra money. Wait for these buggers to launch their high definition STBs....and then switch.....

Thanks for the inputs psychotropic !

About the STB not having HDMI or component, where did u find this ? I couldn't locate the STB spec on the TataSkyPlus site.

yep its not worth , reliance IPTV STB have HDMI and are cpable of receiving HD signals and there is also another HD STB model that has a DVR just like tata sky and cost 6k.

yep its not worth , reliance IPTV STB have HDMI and are cpable of receiving HD signals and there is also another HD STB model that has a DVR just like tata sky and cost 6k.

From where this info obtained?????/

Yes, Reliance IPTV seems to be the best technogically.
I'm waiting for it be launched in my locality and I'd be the first to take it. And of course, with DVR option.
And the best part in ITPV is, there are no frequent disruptions during heavy downpours.

i'm sure the h/w would (can) be well specified, thats the easy part. however i have serious doubts on the "broadband internet" that will actually be required to drive any IPTV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

IPTV does not take up the bandwidth out of internet bandwidth. Internet is just one of the services that is provided over a connection (say DSL).

Think of IPTV as another service (kind of LAN) locally provided by connection provider or their contractor. Although I am not sure if HD content is possible, bandwidths way higher than internet are surely possible. How else do you think one would get even SD content..

IPTV does not take up the bandwidth out of internet bandwidth. Internet is just one of the services that is provided over a connection (say DSL).

Think of IPTV as another service (kind of LAN) locally provided by connection provider or their contractor. Although I am not sure if HD content is possible, bandwidths way higher than internet are surely possible. How else do you think one would get even SD content..

well in the USA AT&T gives HD channels via IPTV.,the ADSL2 has a maximum downstream limit of 24mbps which should be more then enough for HD.

in my area (in pune) tata indicom and sify are the only providers via pots (dsl). i tried both of them for a decent amount of time and also played around with my plans. i can barely do you tube!

probably this helps you better understand my "reservations" about any sd/hd content over a ip based n/w. the last mile continues to be a major bottleneck in most parts of india and dot/trai's broadband dream is far from complete.

i'm moving homes shortly and hopefully the airtel dsl connection there would be a lot better.

Guys,
Bought myself the Tata Sky+ STB this week. The STB is absolutely superb. It has Composite out, Component out and Optical out. It still does not have an HDMI, but them the component and Optical should be good enough for now.

The picture quality on my LX800 has to be seen to be believed. Perfect crystal clear reception. Fully worth the money, both the STB and the TV. The 100hz feature on the LX800 must also be playing its part in making the picture look good.

Even if I never use the pause & record feature, just the PQ is good reason to go for the STB. So far I have not used the pause and record feature, so cannot comment.

On the downside the STB response is a little slow. Not much of a problem, just that it can be a little irritant.

Guys,
The picture quality on my LX800 has to be seen to be believed. Perfect crystal clear reception. Fully worth the money, both the STB and the TV. The 100hz feature on the LX800 must also be playing its part in making the picture look good.

Tian, You are tempting me again and again for TataSky+ :). I am also having LX800, but the PQ from my DTH leaves a lot to be desired. Did you try regular Tata Sky on LX800? How does it look like?

Also, what is your viewing distance from the TV?

Want to play the devil's advocate :)

Why would one want to record Tv programs? Most,if not all of them are anyways repeated...not that most would want to watch the saas bahu serials or the reality shows...

Would I pay so much to pause "live action"... it is anyways a replay if you are not watching it live... the TV in the other room has already moved on to the next action piece :)

Tata SKy or for that matter most of these DTH is getting expensive by the day.. every channel is coming at a price..the world may be moving in that direction..but I'll wait.

I have a Tata Sky..planning to junk it and go to the local cable guy's STB... he still charges me a flat 240/- pm irrespective of the number of connections at home...and I get more channels than Tatasky

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back