Tatasky 4k Launch 2015 ?!

tma

Hi All,

Just came across a news item about Tatasky demoing Football in 4k:licklips: and rave reviews about the 4k transmission and the glorious pq. Seems they are planning to launch 4k services from early 2015.

Excited about 4k channels coming but worried that its going to be from Tatasky:mad: - given their dubious business practices (viz. Annual mega pack/Specials:annoyed:). I am only expecting the worst regarding their channel and set top box pricing.. Not to mention their miserable crunch situation with regards to satellite transponders and the GSAT flop show.

Does anybody have any other info about this impending?? launch?

Are there any other broadcasters who are planning or have announced on same lines?

Is such a facility 4k DTH available elsewhere, if so what content/channels are available?

Maybe the 4k thingy is not too far away..

We are yet to get 1080p transmission in India with enough quality channels in at least the present 1080i transmission and already TS is jumping to 4k :lol:

An effort to boost sales of 4K TVs in Croma and those of Videocon :) Soon these will come bundled with 4K TVs and ultimately would mean greater burden (marketing term would be "satisfaction") to customers :)

Agree.

Currently there seems to be no technical criteria in our broadcasting industry. Indian broadcasters firstly need to make FHD a standard. They should reject content not meeting technical criteria.

This is same thing like mobile companies are talking about 4G-5G but still there are many places where people struggles to get signal to call and for 2G. Even 3G is not easily available in many cities. :D

Okay, May be it is true but the reality is we are still watching SD channels and have ONLY few HD Channels even they are not in Full HD 1080p. And other side DTH operators are talking about 4K. Oh Come on!!! Instead of this 4K they should try to launch all channels in FULL HD and stop telecasting SD.
Releasing 4K means they want to rob again for new Set-up box and special packs. They are making us fool by adding useless channels and increasing the prices day by day, however we watch very limited channels but the base pack is necessary. Within 2 years they have increased the prices 50-75 per pack (hike 600-850 annual) (e.g. Dhamaal Mix 180/- was in 2012 and now it is 230/-) and the price hike is going on.

*Ultimately the new trend is we are paying thousands of rupees (Annually) to watch OUR TV :D

*Earlier it was free but with limited channels.

Last edited:
Personally, I think its ok to have 4K. If people are willing to pay for it then why not? I know guys who have paid 3-4 lacs for curved TVs... how far is it wise to say let everyone have a plasma or an LCD and get rid of all CRTs before advancing with curved TVs or OLED TVs?

That's the price of technology and there will always be early adopters who are willing to pay the price for the latest and the greatest as well as willing to invest in the growth of technology.

4K content is not available a lot but available it is... especially with Sony Blu-Rays, some TV channels and also places like NetFlix.

Samsung seems to provide a FTA 4k channel with select high end TVs - seems they use Eutelsat 10A satellite and of course thats not going to be available in India.

So basically the 4k content options in India presently limited to Blurays and maybe Netfilx if one could afford the internet and are savvy enough to use VPN.

@idlefriend : any more info about D2H 4k? Any links?

@prepress : Agree fully with your points and all the more so regarding TSky and their pricing.. Wonder how many still remember the (g)olden days of only DD and if you were lucky to be in the far south, one would get the Srilanka broadcast provided one had sufficiently high TV antenna and the weather gods were kind.. Though the broadcast was not 24hrs, it was more engaging and memorable and not full of endless repeats - not to mention free..

... That's the price of technology and there will always be early adopters who are willing to pay the price for the latest and the greatest as well as willing to invest in the growth of technology. .

More than the price of innovation/technology, now a days it feels its more to do with fattening of the bottom lines of the Tech companies.. I fail to understand how come the cost of innovation/tech today has increased so dramatically that the newer mainstream Tech (especially consumer electronics) cost easily upwards of a couple of Lacs and are so delicate to not last even a few years of trouble free operation except in very optimal setup/usage conditions???

Is the technology so complicated and the cost of innovation so high? Or are these companies too greedy to make a very fast buck asap before the honeymoon period is ended by some other 'latest and greatest' tech by one of their rivals..

Is it not that now the market is (and continually getting) vastly bigger and level of competition much more than few years back that the pricing is moderated without compromising the profits?

@prepress : Agree fully with your points and all the more so regarding TSky and their pricing.. Wonder how many still remember the (g)olden days of only DD and if you were lucky to be in the far south, one would get the Srilanka broadcast provided one had sufficiently high TV antenna and the weather gods were kind.. Though the broadcast was not 24hrs, it was more engaging and memorable and not full of endless repeats - not to mention free..

Agree, In 80's we had 3 channels
1. Kasauli (Yes, Hill Station) VHF 3
2. New Delhi (Doordarshan, Became DD1 after launching of DD2) VHF 3
3. Jalandhar (It was Punjabi channel, Punjabi movies, news, plays etc.) UHF Band, we were using a booster :) to watch this channel, even for DD2 too.

Kasauli was not 24 hrs, they were switching it into Doordarshan for some time. Even DD was not 24 hrs too.

Later (Early 90's) we got another channel, DD2 (Metro).

We were moving the antenna direction to watch DD Metro or Jalandhar as both were telecasting from opposite directions. Later we used two antennas :D Those were the days :yahoo:

Agree, In 80's we had 3 channels
1. Kasauli (Yes, Hill Station) VHF 3
2. New Delhi (Doordarshan, Became DD1 after launching of DD2) VHF 3
3. Jalandhar (It was Punjabi channel, Punjabi movies, news, plays etc.) UHF Band, we were using a booster :) to watch this channel, even for DD2 too.

Kasauli was not 24 hrs, they were switching it into Doordarshan for some time. Even DD was not 24 hrs too.

Later (Early 90's) we got another channel, DD2 (Metro).

We were moving the antenna direction to watch DD Metro or Jalandhar as both were telecasting from opposite directions. Later we used two antennas :D Those were the days :yahoo:

I remember the craze in those days for DD Metro, UHF Booster and telecast of Night Hawk serial during Saturday night hours. :cheers:

It might end up similar to the fate of 3D channel on D2H. I think the only one provider in India for 3D with one channel repeating the same program for each hour. And I think they have removed even this channel and may be replacing the same with the 4K one.

Considering the average screen size and viewing distance in our country i don't see the point. Before jumping to 4k and all the Dth cos should increase the Hd channels and improve the quality of them.We still dont have a national HD news channel and these guys want to go 4K.Are these sponsored by Samsung and LG to increase their high end tv sales?

Considering the average screen size and viewing distance in our country i don't see the point. Before jumping to 4k and all the Dth cos should increase the Hd channels and improve the quality of them.We still dont have a national HD news channel and these guys want to go 4K. Are these sponsored by Samsung and LG to increase their high end tv sales?

+1, I understand we should respect new technology but the thing is we all are still watching SD channels, and few HD channels which are not in Full HD.
If LG-Samsung are releasing 4K TVs then definitely there should be content too. So this package would be for those people who can afford expensive packages.

According to ME the TV users in India:
75% watch CRT (upto 29")
24% watch Plasma/LCD/LED (HD Ready to Full HD)
1% or less (4K)

For every tech. advance - especially TV's, there are 'early adopters' who must have the latest & greatest and are willing to foot the cost and live with the dearth of content. I guess 4k is no different. Whether it should be rolled out or not, definitely yes? Ultimately it is upto the consumers to decide if they want to be early adopters or not. Of-course providers in India use deceptive marketing techniques like upscaled 480p passed of as HD, but that is not the fault of the technology, it is the default method of doing business in the country, where consumer beware!, because though regulations abound, there is no one to enforce it.
Cheers,
Sid

It might end up similar to the fate of 3D channel on D2H. I think the only one provider in India for 3D with one channel repeating the same program for each hour. And I think they have removed even this channel and may be replacing the same with the 4K one.

The 3D channel is re added in D2H.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back