Tatasky bye bye?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
Tatasky HD (mega-giga-gaga pack) - Rs. 770/- pm
In our household it's primarily for Sports, English movies/entertainment/news, Kannada channels
Now with Tatasky-Sony lover's quarrel its become a pain

Netflix 4k/4screen - Rs. 800/- pm
Amazon Prime - Rs. 85/- pm (Rs. 999/- pa)
This combo rocks for movies and shows. Well worth the money.
4K on new LG OLED is stunning, HDR and Dolby Vision is an absolute delight

So now I have dropped TataSky and signed up for:
HotStar - Rs. 85/- pm (Rs. 999/- pa)
SonyLiv - Rs. 40/- pm (Rs. 499/- pa)
YuppTV - Free for now (some LG TV deal for 6 months)

Hotstar movies and shows are OK-HD quality (not great, not bad either)
Live sports is passable, not enjoyable
SonyLiv movies and shows are OK-HD quality (not great, not bad either)
Live sports is "shite"
YuppTV news is enough

Using Chromecast for HotStar, SonyLiv, YuppTV. Ad free shows, movies. Pause and watch later. Too many conveniences :)

Have given TataSky my piece of mind and told them why I am moving away. Let's see if they get their act together.
My argument is simple. When paying Rs. 175/- pm for HD access, charge me another 100-125 and give me only HD channels.
Why push SD crap as base pack (gazilion useless channels) and then add-on HD/Sports (pricey) as though it's God's gift from them.

Other option is move to Hathaway cable at Rs. 500/- pm; get a package similar or better than TataSky's mega-gaga package.
Have heard many complaints about the local operator; so still in limbo.

For the last few months, our TV watching has been mostly NetFlix/Prime and live sports.
Let's see if I can survive the ordeal.

Cheers,
Raghu
Seems like you took the best decision, me too contemplating on dumping my Airtel, only reservation is my mother who uses it to watch regional channels.
Sports is priority for me next comes the movies etc.

Seems like you took the best decision, me too contemplating on dumping my Airtel, only reservation is my mother who uses it to watch regional channels.
Sports is priority for me next comes the movies etc.

In fact I have given a taste of what can be to my mother too. At my parents' place there are 2 TVs and 2 Cable connections.
My Dad will not give up watching "serial killer" Radhika on SunTV :)
But Mum is open to exploring VoD and ditching cable all together.
She can piggyback on my subscription; just need to get a fiber BB there and enable VoD.

Cheers,
Raghu

In fact I have given a taste of what can be to my mother too. At my parents' place there are 2 TVs and 2 Cable connections.
My Dad will not give up watching "serial killer" Radhika on SunTV :)
But Mum is open to exploring VoD and ditching cable all together.
She can piggyback on my subscription; just need to get a fiber BB there and enable VoD.

Cheers,
Raghu
Me thinking of getting new TV in which mother can watch her regional choices but still need to rely on Airtel for regional stuffs.

Me thinking of getting new TV in which mother can watch her regional choices but still need to rely on Airtel for regional stuffs.

Maybe not. Explore more with existing setup.
Since you are in Chennai, I will assume regional means Tamil.
SunTV apparently has a streaming solution (much cheaper than DTH)
Try YuppTV too. News is free, movies and shows are charged.
Content that is not "Live" is usually good via streaming.

Streaming need a good high speed BB (preferably fiber) and a fair amount of data.
These were already there at home for me, so it was a logical step.
My data usage was 200-250 GB per month before OLED TV upgrade.
Now with 4K streaming, it is 600-650 GB per month.

Cheers,
Raghu

Maybe not. Explore more with existing setup.
Since you are in Chennai, I will assume regional means Tamil.
SunTV apparently has a streaming solution (much cheaper than DTH)
Try YuppTV too. News is free, movies and shows are charged.
Content that is not "Live" is usually good via streaming.

Streaming need a good high speed BB (preferably fiber) and a fair amount of data.
These were already there at home for me, so it was a logical step.
My data usage was 200-250 GB per month before OLED TV upgrade.
Now with 4K streaming, it is 600-650 GB per month.

Cheers,
Raghu
Its Malayalam mostly, but the problem is she's not tech savvy, she never going to browse through to find her desired program.
In regards to internet I get around 1750 GB of internet every month and would have used some 25% max out of it due to amazon prime and Netflix so no worry on that part.

I’m thinking of going for Airtel. Will call them up and find out details today.

Can anyone confirm if all the Sony channels are back online? With no cost?

So my question is
1 . does TRAI prohibit TS from offering a pack which consists of all channels like earlier?
2. does TRAI prohibit TS from offering long duration packs?
1. From what I understand, you need to choose from broadcaster packs, Tatasky packs and individual channels in any combination. There is no "all channels" offer from Tatasky any more.
2. Tatasky has an option of paying for 12 months to get an additional month free.

I had been subscribing to long duration packs(which included all of their channels except for some channels which TS labelled "premium") from TATA SKY. My last pack was for two years which TATA SKY has terminated on 2 April 2019. Their new recommended replacement pack "Premium Sports English HD" is costlier than the earlier pack and also addition set top box costs Rs 400 per month whereas earlier it costed around Rs 200 per month.
So my question is
1 . does TRAI prohibit TS from offering a pack which consists of all channels like earlier?
2. does TRAI prohibit TS from offering long duration packs?

I had a lone battle with Hathway and after 3 months of table tennis mails with reglation proof etc...got them to play ball as per regulations and broadcaster packs fall much cheaper......(refer to Hathway Cable thread)

From what i understand, only Dish TV so far was following regulations properly then AirTel TV and perhaps now Tata Sky....

Refer to regulations which are binding on all providers (Cable / MSO / DTH)

https://channeltariff.trai.gov.in/

Refer to FAQs,,,,,

More Broadcasters are making more economic packs and even also reducing rates....

I believe Tatasky was always following the TRAI regulations. I was able to stay with annual subscription till the cut-off date of 31st March.

More Broadcasters are making more economic packs and even also reducing rates....
I suppose many have shed a lot of channels from their subscriptions :)

We have ditched Tata Sky long back and have only 1 basic package which is more than enough for my Mother. Savings of about 12K per year. Rest of us are very happy with online content. Multi-apartment societies may have an infrastructure specific to a particular DTH though.

I just signed up for Hotstar to see if I can ditch TataSky too but notice that HotStar only supports 2-channel audio!! Is this not a dealbreaker for most here?

Stopped my subscription to Videocon a few months back. Did not turn on STB for a whole year before getting out. So I knew I would not need it. Neither does my wife. She has little time, and when she does, she is happy to tune into one of the many streaming channels that I have subscribed to. Mom is happy with her basic pack on cable on her TV.

I just signed up for Hotstar to see if I can ditch TataSky too but notice that HotStar only supports 2-channel audio!! Is this not a dealbreaker for most here?

So far so good and nothing to fuss about; sound wise yes it is 2-ch.
In small homes (like mine) it makes little difference; use one of the Dolby Pro-Logic modes to get Center+Sub.
For full immersive movie experience (4K, Dolby Vision, HDR, 5.1, etc) there is Netflix/Prime.

Current paid subscriptions at our place are:
- HotStar - for EPL, IPL and Hindi/Kannada content
- SonyLiv - for Euro football leagues and Hindi content
- SunNxt - for Kannada and Tamil content
- NetFlix - for international content (some Indian content too)
- Amazon - for international and Hindi/Kannada content

News we watch mainly via YouTube channels or discrete apps/channels on HotStar/SonyLiv/SunNxt.

Advantage is that subscription based streaming services can be shared across devices and locations.
3 TVs at 2 locations, plus 1 iPad and 3 mobiles.
For now, its a winning combo assuming one is already on a high speed BB (which is the highest component in the equation)

Cheers,
Raghu

For the last six months, we have stopped watching tv. My month expense was 430. Now all our entertainment is from Youtube only. Watching a movie on DTH or Cable platform is just watching ads and I tend to forget the story when the movie resumes!

deactivated Tatasky ,Myself completely migrated to Apple TV 4, Yupp TV provides all the news and some entertainment of basic TV, Prime , Netflix , zee5, Sony Liv etc are awesome , money also saved.

I have ditch cable since Feb. Using Kodi with Sonyliv, Hotstar, Voot, Zeetv addon, which is without adds. For news, I am using m3u playlist.

I have ditch cable since Feb. Using Kodi with Sonyliv, Hotstar, Voot, Zeetv addon, which is without adds. For news, I am using m3u playlist.
Voot app I am not able to hide subtitles does anybody know how to do it?
Kannada serials are having English subtitles by default which is not ideal... I am not getting any video options that other apps are having like subtitle/video quality etc.
There is no preference option in Settings as well.
Any knowledge on this will be greatly helpfull.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back