Tatasky Signal Quality

Some observations from my side:

1.Even though my TATA-SKY dish is correctly aligned (checked this with a satellite meter), and skew angle of the LNBF is optimized, on most channels I am getting a signal quality of only 40%-43%. This is in contrast with the early days of TATA-SKY, when the TATA-SKY SQ used to hover between 60%-70% on clear days. This is making me wonder if I should go for a 100 c.m. offset dish.

2.While I am getting all the channels of TATA-SKY, some SD channels were unwatchably "pale" or "washed out" (for example, channel 121 or "Bindaas", or HBO SD) during the first two weeks of May, 2015. Last two days onwards, there was again some improvement in the PQ of these channels. I find some kind of edge-sharpening being deployed. Perhaps TATA-SKY head-end engineers are still juggling with the calibration.

3.The service menu for satellite settings (Organizer -> System Settings -> 0, 1, Select in quick succession) still shows Insat 4A- Transponder 14 (Frequency: 11010 MHz, Symbol Rate: 27,500) as the entry point to the TATA-SKY DTH service. This is with the firmware dated 10th April, 2015. Therefore, a shift from Insat 4A to GSAT is perhaps yet to happen. Interestingly, the signal test menu inside the service menu shows the SQ to be about 70%.

Last edited:
For me it was just a case of the LNBF requiring replacement which was done today and signal is back to 60%.

I have TS HD+. Signal strength is ~70% in both T1& T2. One tuner signal quality shows 100% another 50%. When I switch channels it shift from T1<->T2. But earlier it was all 100% - strength as well as quality. All alignment does not improve anything. :(

Cable length from LNBC to STB is ~40Ft.

Lyngsat's website shows only six Ku-band transponders of GSAT-10, all with vertical polarization, to be active as on today. It does not report any TATA-SKY signal on them. Channel '100' of TATA-SKY carries looped advertising that says, "upgrading ka kaam theek se nipat gaya." It thanks the customers for bearing with TATA-SKY, and announces a "chota sa thofa", i.e., all channels free for all package subscribers till 31st May, 2015. TATA-SKY customer-care engineers are shown leaving on a vacation / playing a cricket tournament / attending a wedding etc., in these advertisements, and the customers are thanked for giving them this "mouka".

It looks like TATA-SKY customer-care personnel have really taken a vacation. :)

It is really hard to tell what was the upgrading about, atleast untill the shift really happens. I suspect that the shift may happen towards the last week of May, 2015 (I have heard it as a "pathe ki baat" from a TATA-SKY ececutive). Infact TATA-SKY is lucky to get a new satellite with same azimuth and elevation as the old one. Otherwise, re-aligning lakhs of dish-antennas would have been one hell of an exercise.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back