Taxation on TV Prices

Honest tax payers are treated like garbage only. I am very surprised by his comments. Guess he has no exposure or has had any real experience with our system.
Addressed in the comment above. I still believe in doing things legally after paying taxes through the nose. That's just what I am I guess.

Addressed in the comment above. I still believe in doing things legally after paying taxes through the nose. That's just what I am I guess.
Yeah sure but let’s not deviate and I don’t think this is the right place to talk about this. I am not sure why you even brought up this topic. Even if I know some one is not paying their taxes I don’t talk about it. It’s very sensitive and I hope you don’t bring this up again. Let the IT department take care of this and let’s continue talking about Audio and video related stuff alone here. Peace

It's not about whether it's fair or not, but whether it's legal. There are a lot of things which are unfair and should be legal but let's not go there.

Using company car for personal purposes is illegal, period.

Yeah, that's correct. It shouldn't be used. However, the tax benefit there is pretty meagre since you pay interest on that through the roof and then GST on top of that interest.

So the tax theft you're doing there is pretty meagre if any at all.

Just because the tax doesn't benefit anyone doesn't mean evading it better. I'm not a proud taxpayer or anything like that. That money is a black hole and I'll not see a rupee of it.

However, it still is tax evasion and it makes the tax burden higher on others.

That wasn't my point at all. Honest taxpayers are the most screwed over class in the history. If you're a middle class salaried engineering male in this country, you're probably the most f***ed existence in all of reality. That still doesn't mean that the rule of law means nothing.

I pay a shit ton of taxes every year and all I get is a bloody certificate of appreciation lol. The government is the biggest thief of them all and then taunts me for being a loser.

Anyway, this thread is going off topic. Can't believe I'm the only one who believes in doing legal stuff however screwed I am.

Off-topic or not, I can sleep peacefully today knowing I am not the only one cribbing.
The GST has brought a lot of previously non paying citizens into the tax bracket. Hopefully the number of people cribbing increase close to 50%. That is the only way the black hole is hopefully closed. Previously it was like the salaried class are screwed but 2% shouting will be heard by no one.
Now much of the business class is starting to shout. Hopefully the tax money is put to good use.

Other end of the argument is in preserving public property. People with no tax and hence no accountability towards public property tend to destroy them. Seen in so many places. Biggest example is in train compartments. Hopefully bringing in more people into the tax bracket puts a full stop such behaviour by indirectly bringing in accountability. No amount of "public property is your property" posters can stop this otherwise.

Off-topic or not, I can sleep peacefully today knowing I am not the only one cribbing.
The GST has brought a lot of previously non paying citizens into the tax bracket. Hopefully the number of people cribbing increase close to 50%. That is the only way the black hole is hopefully closed. Previously it was like the salaried class are screwed but 2% shouting will be heard by no one.
Now much of the business class is starting to shout. Hopefully the tax money is put to good use.

Other end of the argument is in preserving public property. People with no tax and hence no accountability towards public property tend to destroy them. Seen in so many places. Biggest example is in train compartments. Hopefully bringing in more people into the tax bracket puts a full stop such behaviour by indirectly bringing in accountability. No amount of "public property is your property" posters can stop this otherwise.
Can't agree more! The salaried clas is screwed twice though, on salary and then GST on taxed salary.

I think folks paying income tax should be given a rebate on GST. You shouldn't be paying taxes twice when the government has no services in return.

Anyway, sorry folks for the off-topic discussion. Won't comment on this topic anymore.

That's exactly what tax theft is. A car bought for company purposes dropping house guests is illegal. That car is not the owner's. I'd absolutely call him a thief. He's indirectly stealing money from salaried folks.

Just one more post to reiterate fair vs legal aspect.

From salaried perspective, we only get company laptops, company car and company phone. All these are got via some kind of tax rebates for business use.
If you have,
1) Used the car to go to a movie,
2) Used the phone to make a personal call,
3) Used the laptop to watch youtube or check IPL scores, personal mails, watch a movie,
You commit exactly the same crime as company car dropping house guests.

I am sure everyone does this. I do. The thought process is not tax evasion but better utilisation or just no thought process at all given no enforcement in this grey area.

Last edited:
Just one more post to reiterate fair vs legal aspect.

From salaried perspective, we only get company laptops, company car and company phone. All these are got via some kind of tax rebates for business use.
If you have,
1) Used the car to go to a movie,
2) Used the phone to make a personal call,
3) Used the laptop to watch youtube or check IPL scores, personal mails, watch a movie,
You commit exactly the same crime as company car dropping house guests.

I am sure everyone does this. I do. The thought process is not tax evasion but better utilisation given no enforcement in this grey area.
Exactly, and I do none of those. I do have a company laptop, but use it only for work and have a personal workstation. I have my personal car and phone.

Heck, I paid out of pocket for home office equipment(3.5 lacs worth) and am paying for internet which I require for WFH

Exactly, and I do none of those. I do have a company laptop, but use it only for work and have a personal workstation. I have my personal car and phone.

Heck, I paid out of pocket for home office equipment(3.5 lacs worth) and am paying for internet which I require for WFH
I don't know of a single person who does not at least check his personal email on company computer. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Laws are not necessarily "fair". They are created by "rich and powerful" for their benefit. It is not a coincidence that business people have so many tax rebates. It is all by "design". And, this is true all over the world including USA where the laws are much more strict, but not for rich and powerful people like Donald Trump who has paid no income tax when he lives such a luxurious lifestyle.

I don't know of a single person who does not at least check his personal email on company computer. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Laws are not necessarily "fair". They are created by "rich and powerful" for their benefit. It is not a coincidence that business people have so many tax rebates. It is all by "design". And, this is true all over the world including USA where the laws are much more strict, but not for rich and powerful people like Donald Trump who has paid no income tax when he lives such a luxurious lifestyle.
Getting your car in company's name is not a loophole but is illegal. There's a big difference between a tax loophole and straight up doing illegal things.

Checking email on a company laptop is not illegal. However, the owner getting a laptop for personal use in company's name is illegal by law.

If I as an employee get a laptop from the company, it's not my laptop. I have to give it back to the company when I leave, there are restrictions for its use and in return I have to do productive work on it for the company. Those don't apply to the owner. Plus, an owner can buy whatever.

BTW, in the case of the laptops for employees, the company has to pay GST on them. And even for the tax deduction, it's treated as a capex good so the tax deduction works over 5 years vs instantly. If you're not paying GST on a good you're going to consume, that is tax theft whether it's for company use or otherwise. If you're getting it for personal use in company name, that's also illegal.

If you're even equating the two things as equal, there's no point discussing further.

If you're curious: In my case, I work on my personal desktop. The company does provide me with a MacBook Pro, but I prefer a more powerful machine when I'm not travelling. 16GB RAM in MBP is a bit limiting.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back