Technics 1210 Mk2 Problem

spatzmcr

I recently bought a 1210 mk2, in pretty bad condition. I revived the cosmetic side of it and it looks brand new, all was well when i used it first.

Then i pressed the pop up light and the turntable went off completely. I pushed the light back down and started it up again and the red light on the on/off switch was flickering. but only when the platter is spinning. now when i play a vinyl it speeds up and slows down throughout, and the light to indicator the pitch slider is set to zero is not illuminated.

I hope this isn't a major issue and a reasonably easy fix.

I don't have any experience with the SL1200 or 1210 but I have noticed in other Technics DDs, if the pitch controls are dusty or damaged, the speeding up and slowing down happens. The flickers are generally indicating that there may be contact problems inside, probably loose wires, corroded connectors or even dry solder (dry solder is highly unlikely though). Have you cleaned all the connectors using contact cleaner?

As Reuben mentioned, clean the internals. It's pretty easy to open it up completely. Lot of videos on YouTube with specifics to follow. See how it performs after that.

Cheers...

I recently bought a 1210 mk2, in pretty bad condition. I revived the cosmetic side of it and it looks brand new, all was well when i used it first.

Then i pressed the pop up light and the turntable went off completely. I pushed the light back down and started it up again and the red light on the on/off switch was flickering. but only when the platter is spinning. now when i play a vinyl it speeds up and slows down throughout, and the light to indicator the pitch slider is set to zero is not illuminated.

I hope this isn't a major issue and a reasonably easy fix.

The popup stylus light has a rubber boot/insulation.
It may get brittle with age, or may have come off.
If so, there is a possibility of a short and a few components blown out.
They are not expensive or exotic and should be an easy fix.

DJ GLO :: Projects :: Modified Technics SL-1200MK2
Technics sl1200 speed problem - Vinyl Engine

It's pretty easy to open it up completely. Lot of videos on YouTube with specifics to follow. See how it performs after that.
cLryku

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back