TECHNICS SL 1210 M5G compared to vintage BELT DRIVES

Hello all,
this may sound like an apples and oranges comparison to quite a few but this topic has intrigued me for a while, hence I am putting it up for discussion and I hope to gain some valuable tips and knowledge. I have a Technics 1210 M5G and my friends have been coaxing me to have a belt drive. So there is a Thorens TD 125 upon which I have set my eyes. I haven't had a belt drive in ages and do not even remember how they sounded. But I know a lot of FMs here have great knowledge and experience with both. So please tell me, should I even think of shifting to a belt drive? knowing the capabilities of 1210 M5G, would it be an upgrade? (I would not get into changing the tonearm or anything. I would keep it stock.) should I keep one of both (I know this would be a popular choice) or should I stop fretting about it completely.
thanks
Varun

If it's possible, go and listen to the TD125 and hear for yourself if you like it more than your 1200.

you are right, it is apples & oranges comparison. best is to hear both side by side, if possible to do so then nothing like it.

I have heard SL 1210 as well as TD 125. A lot will depend on what type of music you listen to. If you are a rock fan and like music of the 80's and therea

I think this is a partial repeat. I have heard both SL 1210 and I have a Thorens TD 125 long base . I would say that if you like fast music like rock and similar kind of music, the Technics should deliver them better but for vintage Jazz and music of the 60's and 70's, the Thorens TD 125 would be a better bet. Then again, the condition of the Thorens and the arm will also play a role. Personally, I prefer the Thorens TD 125 to the Technics

Thanks for the input sir. The 125 does look in great shape but has the stock TP16 arm, which a lot of people in other forums find insufficient. Would buying a TT worth 40k and putting a 70k arm be an overkill?
Thanks

Never heard a TD125 but I own a TD160 which is a lesser TT than the TD125 in the Thorens line up. I also have the SL 1200/II. Though I've never compared the two using the same cartridge and phono preamp, I personally prefer the sound of the TD160. It's simply more lively. In comparison the SL 1200 sounds flat and uninvolving. My opinion, of course.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back