the art of bargaining.

atulpilot

hey guys ,

i have started this thread to know how do u bargain for the best price.

personally i go to many outlets for the price and then choose the lowest outlet and then start to bargain even more with him by telling him that i got a quote lower than him from the rival outlet.

i don't know about hifi..but in other things bargaining is a double blessing...
if a customer doesn't bargain the shopkeeper will have the regret that maybe this sucker could have bought the same thing at a much higher price...
as for the buyer he will forever live with the regret, what if i had haggled for the price..maybe i was taken for a ride...

if a customer doesn't bargain the shopkeeper will have the regret that maybe this sucker could have bought the same thing at a much higher price...
as for the buyer he will forever live with the regret, what if i had haggled for the price..maybe i was taken for a ride...

dude, life is too short to regret about such things. whatever u've purchased already, cant do a thing about it, so absolutely no point thinking about it later. but hell yeah, bargaining is good and for any big item, I make sure I bargain and dont buy the things if the guy is not budging from mrp.

i was not regretting..i was in fact reveling in the fact that no matter what your position in the demand-supply equation, bargaining rocks..

Well said!

customers are kings and kings don't bargain

studies show that rich people with good taste don't bargain. bargaining is popular with middle and lower class people

studies show that rich people with good taste don't bargain. bargaining is popular with middle and lower class people

Gone are the days of kings. Kings used to have obscene amounts of money and very few things would put a dent in their treasury. I think the studies that you are speaking about are about Rich and Famous people. They probably don't want to be seen bargaining as it is bad for their fame. My study also show that rich people overpay for most things.

Always do your market research before you buy. You will be surprised to find huge savings. Sometimes enough to buy one model higher. You need to atleast try to bargain. Don't buy on instinct.

Just to quote an example: Recently, I was in the market for an Optoma HD65 projector and was quoted from as high as 75k to 63k(including a free lamp). I almost bought bought it for 63k but a fellow member convinced me to go in for full HD. I was lucky to get an Optoma HD20 for lesser than what I would have paid for the HD65. Ofcourse there are strings attached in my latter deal, but then there is Murphy's Law, isn't it.

One thing to remember is you don't always win. So don't worry too much if you have paid too much in one instance. Like the saying goes "Somedays you are the statue, somedays you are the crow" :)

Just my two cents

Last edited:
In the Consumer Goods market, the concept of Fixed Price has ceased to exist. With different retailers offering varying prices, there is definitely a lot of scope for bargaining. And when I am spending a good proportion of my hard earned money on buying the goods, then bargaining will definitely be a part of the purchase process.

And there's nothing wrong in asking for a discount. If the dealer can afford it, he will definitely reduce the price. I bought a Samsung Washing Machine about 6 months back; the offer price was 12,730 after discount over the MRP of 13,495. Before finalizing the deal, I asked if there will be any more discount since it was Gudhi Padwa, and immediately the guy offered to reduce 1000 more. If I hadn't asked, he would not have given me the rebate.

Oh they also bargain. Just like you dont bargain for tomatoes sold at 2/- per kg, they also dont bargain on items costing a few lakhs. The same rich person, when buying property and other expensive items bargain like hell. its just dont at a different level thats all. e.g. bill gates wont bargain for a wadia cd player, but was recently seen bargaining for yahoo, and then sulking coz he couldnt get it cheap enough:lol:

he he he he, very well put.

Oh they also bargain. Just like you dont bargain for tomatoes sold at 2/- per kg, they also dont bargain on items costing a few lakhs. The same rich person, when buying property and other expensive items bargain like hell. its just dont at a different level thats all. e.g. bill gates wont bargain for a wadia cd player, but was recently seen bargaining for yahoo, and then sulking coz he couldnt get it cheap enough:lol:

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Well said!

Generally Mont Blanc ,a luxury pen & other goods maker have sale for "poor" people :clapping::clapping:I happened to meet a gentelman who blew 3 + lack Rs on Couple of watches ,3-4 Pens and some cufflinks!!

Of course he is not "KING" as per your defination as he is looking for sale this season!!

Buddy come out of your kingdom :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: in real world I've seen rich people bargaing for cars ,watches and what not ! In fact I've seen people who use power of internet to get best bargain! The said gentleman knew many international sites & location to get best deals on watches,pens,opticals and other luxury things : but when I gave him some suggestions he was quick to note down that!

Least I'm not the king and want to get best price!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back