The Bargain Hunter's subwoofer ...

Really miss Mpw's expertise, humbleness & great sense of humor. He left the forum quite a while ago.

Last edited:
Way to de-escalate a situation. I distinctly recollect similar beginnings of a certain someone on this forum. I think we need Jesus.

while i am a bystander it does feel strange that people can "feel sorry" for a person they dont know and for a setup they havent heard.

anyways - since Mr mpw is no more on this forum its best to let it be...

while i am a bystander it does feel strange that people can "feel sorry" for a person they dont know and for a setup they havent heard.

anyways - since Mr mpw is no more on this forum its best to let it be...
Sure bud... One may do well to keep in mind that not everyone may be eloquent with their prose despite their best intentions. Best not to jump to conclusions. :)

When I was getting KEF R300 a few years ago, @mpw's insights helped me shape my opinion.
Also after it landed, some of his suggestions on placement/positioning helped mitigate room issues.
When scouting for a sub for music, this particular thread did help me personally, though I went the OEM way.
Anyways, if @mpw decided it's time he got off the forum, it is a personal decision.
But will miss his occasional humor :)

Cheers,
Raghu

I stayed away from this forum due to personal work load, and more because of the whatsapp groups we started for audio discussions.
But in the last few days ... I tried to revisit my old threads and add some corrections...at the end of my threads.
My old and immature threads contain wrong and misleading data, and some questions are too funny now !!! :eek::eek:
I am afraid that new comers may get mislead with my own threads. Thats the reason I started adding comments to my old threads.
Whenever I get time, I will try to correct my threads.

Coming to MPW, I spoke purely on design perspective sir...absolutely no intention to disrespect that gentlemen.
May be he got offended that I compared his work to some one elses work.
But the only reason i compared is the driver is very similar. Not to let him down!!
please share if anyone knows his contact...I dont mind apologizing.

One may do well to keep in mind that not everyone may be eloquent with their prose despite their best intentions. Best not to jump to conclusions. :)

one ( atleast i ) can only read the text and not the intention @DB1989 - earlier in this thread there is a mention of why only a 400W amp is used - wished you had read that up as well :)

@Naveenbnc - can you tell us what kind of bracing will more suitable for such a large subwoofer ?

one ( atleast i ) can only read the text and not the intention @DB1989 - earlier in this thread there is a mention of why only a 400W amp is used - wished you had read that up as well :)
I did. Which is exactly why i said not to jump to conclusions about ones intentions or what they meant e.g. similar to the conclusion that I'd not read that post.

@Naveenbnc - can you tell us what kind of bracing will more suitable for such a large subwoofer ?
People have gone to the extent of establishing mathematical relations between sound waves, and the bracing design.
They do all sorts of vibration analysis, finite element analysis and what not. Its all about optimizing.
Resonance should be minimized, and drivers energy should not be lost in vibrating the cabinet as well.

(check all the pages in this link)

I would personally brace it to the extent of not leaving more than 6 square inches of unbraced area any where in the box. (sometimes overkill)
But for people like us, to keep it simple, brace it well, and if you knock any where on the box, it should give a solid thud, but not like a hallow drum.
So much content is there on net, and so many DIY youtube videos available for 18" or 21" subs.
I am attaching an image just for reference.
bracing sample.jpg

Hi @Naveenbnc , MPW has left the forum. You can see "Guest" written under his name.
Lol !!! Sadhik Bhai now i realize that he left earlier.
I created an unnecessary drama today :D:D

Having heard mpw's setup in its many iterations over the years, and understanding at least to some extent his choice of music, I think he just wanted bass reinforcement for his bookshelves (sealed two way, IIRC). Not a monster sub that plays the deepest notes. Or the loudest. In fact the 18 inch sub integrates so well that one barely hears it. It does mainly 2.1 duty for music.

thats a relief !!! Thanks a lot Raghu ...:):)

your clarification was gracious and thank you.

I am reminded of the movie Shakuntala Devi - Vidya balan one - where Shakuntala Devi says she likes maths as compared to languages as in Maths numbers dont lie and there is only 1 correct answer !!! but in English ( or language ) one word can have different meanings.

Hope this makes you all smile.

:))

People have gone to the extent of establishing mathematical relations between sound waves, and the bracing design.
They do all sorts of vibration analysis, finite element analysis and what not. Its all about optimizing.
Resonance should be minimized, and drivers energy should not be lost in vibrating the cabinet as well.

I would personally brace it to the extent of not leaving more than 6 square inches of unbraced area any where in the box. (sometimes overkill)
But for people like us, to keep it simple, brace it well, and if you knock any where on the box, it should give a solid thud, but not like a hallow drum.
So much content is there on net, and so many DIY youtube videos available for 18" or 21" subs.
View attachment 49980

Thank you !

Those pictures are very enlightening - probably after Maths - pictures comes next in terms of information conveyed :) and lastly words - i guess !

what kind of stuffing would be recommended then ?

Having heard mpw's setup in its many iterations over the years, and understanding at least to some extent his choice of music, I think he just wanted bass reinforcement for his bookshelves (sealed two way, IIRC). Not a monster sub that plays the deepest notes. Or the loudest. In fact the 18 inch sub integrates so well that one barely hears it. It does mainly 2.1 duty for music.

Thank you sir !

my question in post no 257 is answered as well..

It is very rare for someone to go for on a large subwoofer - despite having the room as well - people tend to look at how the room looks ad WAF etc...

How come the JBL Commercial series subs are not mentioned for HT usage.. Are they not good? They are quite cheap..

View attachment 49980
I wonder why DIYers complicate mechanical design so much, where something very to simple could have been designed.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back