The BBC Design Report makes fascinating reading

Analogous

“Ever since the early sixties (and earlier), BBC speakers were designed with careful engineering as well as extraordinary quality control in the manufacturing process. The BBC speaker development operation was free of commercial pressure. They were just after speakers that fitted in with their standard environments and produced a sound as close as they could get to live instruments, speech, and of course, music. They also happened to be in a position to audition performers and orchestras to make true “live” comparisons possible while spreading listening evaluations across many people… musicians, consumers, and engineers.

They demanded that the closest replica of “live sound” was the ultimate goal of their design philosophies and as a result, many BBC “legendary” loudspeakers were born. It’s hard to think of anywhere that speaker development was pursued so comprehensively.”

Here is their design report:

Having fascinated and lived with some bbc design inspired speakers (one of which built to original LS3/5a spec) for last few years I never felt they are closer to "live sound", tone, timbre and realism is there but never eerie real.

In my limited exposure i felt Klipsch horns paired with SET amp had live sound. Klipsch DNA is live sound.

Having fascinated and lived with some bbc design inspired speakers (one of which built to original LS3/5a spec) for last few years I never felt they are closer to "live sound", tone, timbre and realism is there but never eerie real.

In my limited exposure i felt Klipsch horns paired with SET amp had live sound. Klipsch DNA is live sound.
I feel what you are saying.
I had a delightful experience with my Klipsch RP600M and a 300B Tube amplifier (Dared)
Never thought to compare with the Harbeth P3s at that time.

We all listen SO Differently... with very different priorities....

Music Genres too make differing demands. Tone & Timbre are of great importance for Western Classical, but not necessarily a priority for rock music.

Dynamics, Micro Dynamics, detail, Imaging (Lateral, Depth & Height) PRAT are some of the other performance evaluators.

I believe BBC Monitors were made for Western Classical music monitoring. I doubt the BBC recorded any Pop or Rock music at all.

I dont listen to much Western Classical, so the BBC Monitors have never awed me .......

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back