The Dark Knight Mega Thread

sagar29

"The Dark Knight" is slated for December 9, 2008 release on Blu-ray. I know it seems way too soon to bring this up but I thought some of you would be interested.

"The Dark Knight" is slated for December 9, 2008 release on Blu-ray. I know it seems way too soon to bring this up but I thought some of you would be interested.

Most of us must have seen "The Dark Knight" in the theaters.

I would like to know how is the quality (SQ and PQ) of the DVD released in India, anyone who has seen.

Thanks
Churfsan

I have only come across Dolby Digital, no DTS. A HD rip might serve you better than the SD DVD especially if you have the h/w for it.

I have only come across Dolby Digital, no DTS. A HD rip might serve you better than the SD DVD especially if you have the h/w for it.

My torrent of the 1080p hd rip with dts is about 12gb and is downloading at an average of 50 kbps. I doubt i will ever see this finish.

Do you have a copy ?

My torrent of the 1080p hd rip with dts is about 12gb and is downloading at an average of 50 kbps. I doubt i will ever see this finish.

Do you have a copy ?

Unless you are very particular of 1080p, if you can make do with 720p, I recommend rips by "nhanc3". Just go to any torrent site and search for "nhanc3 nHD" or "nhanc3 720p".

Most recent movies with 720p, at sizes under 2 GB. Very decent SQ (6-channel) and PQ (720p resolution). However files are all in MKV format. You will need to play on your PC, or connect to your LCD / Plasma on VGA port via laptop, I guess.

Do you have a copy ?

I have a Divx rip myself of around 2 GB with Dolby Digital, great PQ and SQ. You can take it if you want. A friend started to d/l the HD rip, let me check what's the progress on that and if its done I will get that too.

Unless you are very particular of 1080p, if you can make do with 720p, I recommend rips by "nhanc3". Just go to any torrent site and search for "nhanc3 nHD" or "nhanc3 720p".

Most recent movies with 720p, at sizes under 2 GB. Very decent SQ (6-channel) and PQ (720p resolution). However files are all in MKV format. You will need to play on your PC, or connect to your LCD / Plasma on VGA port via laptop, I guess.

How do you play them churfsan? I am planning on a PS3 or a network media player for the same, still undecided though since wife wants a Wii and that's the priority.

How do you play them churfsan? I am planning on a PS3 or a network media player for the same, still undecided though since wife wants a Wii and that's the priority.

Hi Moser,

I use a player "VLC Media Player" available on Windows as well as Linux.
I connect laptop on VGA port to my LCD TV
I connect laptop line out to my amp AUX IN, this way I actually lose the 6-ch track.

I can play on PC also, but then again I have only 2.1 setup (but good speakers).

If you have digital out from you PC / laptop, you can connect to your amp input and enjoy 6-track sound.

I am downloading TDK (2.3 GB), but transfer is very slow, may take 2-3 days at least. I had earlier downloaded TAKEN (1.4 GB only).

Cheers

Hi Moser,

Can you play MKV files on PS3? Or only DIVX AVI files?

Thanks

Hi Moser,

Can you play MKV files on PS3? Or only DIVX AVI files?

Thanks

PS3 plays .mkv files, in fact as of now the only standalone player that does it apart from a PC. I read somewhere though that in China they were working on DVDP to handle .mkv files along with standard Divx formats. Don't know when they will be mainstream and affordable though.

PS3 plays .mkv files, in fact as of now the only standalone player that does it apart from a PC. I read somewhere though that in China they were working on DVDP to handle .mkv files along with standard Divx formats. Don't know when they will be mainstream and affordable though.

Tvix media player can play almost any format.

I could manage to get my hands on "The Dark Knight" DVD from Big Flix.
The PQ and SQ are good, not bad.

However, as far as PQ is concerned, I also compared with a 720P rip (still being downloaded, with 2.3 GB size), the rip PQ is so much better, you can even see the texture of the skin of the characters, color is live, and the whole experience is so much better

I am thinking if a 2.3 GB rip can look so good, how will the original BD look?!!

I am thinking that since mainstream BD in India is still far away, maybe I should give serious thought to a HTPC, so we can play MKV files at 720p / 1080p till we get our hands on the real stuff. If we use PS3, will there be any advantages over HTPC?

Another thing, slightly off the topic, consider this:

1. All English DVD still cost Rs. 500-600/- in India, and no DTS most of the time

2. At this rate, I do not expect BD to cost less than 1000-1200 for the next 2-3 years, irrespective of Reliance role

3. It is quite likely that we may still get the BD without DTS/DTS-MA, or who knows, we may get only Dolby?

4. Reliance seems to have taken distribution of major studios, and they generally address mass market to keep prices down. Hence, low cost solutions only by cutting lot of corners perhaps

So, when can we get the real BD stuff?? Will we ever??

Churfsan

I could manage to get my hands on "The Dark Knight" DVD from Big Flix.
The PQ and SQ are good, not bad.

However, as far as PQ is concerned, I also compared with a 720P rip (still being downloaded, with 2.3 GB size), the rip PQ is so much better, you can even see the texture of the skin of the characters, color is live, and the whole experience is so much better

I am thinking if a 2.3 GB rip can look so good, how will the original BD look?!!

I am thinking that since mainstream BD in India is still far away, maybe I should give serious thought to a HTPC, so we can play MKV files at 720p / 1080p till we get our hands on the real stuff. If we use PS3, will there be any advantages over HTPC?

Another thing, slightly off the topic, consider this:

1. All English DVD still cost Rs. 500-600/- in India, and no DTS most of the time

2. At this rate, I do not expect BD to cost less than 1000-1200 for the next 2-3 years, irrespective of Reliance role

3. It is quite likely that we may still get the BD without DTS/DTS-MA, or who knows, we may get only Dolby?

4. Reliance seems to have taken distribution of major studios, and they generally address mass market to keep prices down. Hence, low cost solutions only by cutting lot of corners perhaps

So, when can we get the real BD stuff?? Will we ever??

Churfsan

I agree with you about the HD rips. PQ is much better and SQ is same since both are in Dolby Digital. If you really want to upgrade your setup for HD content then HTPC is the best route to go, way better than a PS3. There are practically endless possibilities with a PC than with a PS3.

Finally, I am not too sure a PS3 will play all d/l HD rips, games, etc. I have had a couple of games that did not play on a PS3 being d/l from the internet. A PC will have no such issues with d/l content.

Last edited:
Saw Dark Knight Blue Ray in Rhythm House ,Kala Ghoda , Churchgate Mumbai...
Dolby HD DVD was there - but no DTS whatsever of any kind.

Saw Dark Knight Blue Ray in Rhythm House ,Kala Ghoda , Churchgate Mumbai...
Dolby HD DVD was there - but no DTS whatsever of any kind.

I did not see the Dark Knight Blue Ray disc, but saw others like "I am Legend", "The Matrix" and others released in India by BIG HOME VIDEO for Rs. 1200/- (around) in Music World. These discs have Dolby True HD and also Dolby Digital, but no DTS.

Anyone see these blue ray discs officially released in India, and the PQ / SQ. Please comment

NO , PS3 doesnt support MKV format ...

you can use this tutorial AfterDawn.com: Guides: How to play MKV content on PlayStation 3 (PS3) (M2TS)

or u can use Media Server to stream via Wifi / Lan ( with some PQ reduction )

I think PS3 should update with MKV support

I did not see the Dark Knight Blue Ray disc, but saw others like "I am Legend", "The Matrix" and others released in India by BIG HOME VIDEO for Rs. 1200/- (around) in Music World. These discs have Dolby True HD and also Dolby Digital, but no DTS.

Anyone see these blue ray discs officially released in India, and the PQ / SQ. Please comment

I am surprised that you say the Blu Ray discs are without DTS. Its mandatory for the Blu Ray standard to carry Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM and any of the lossless formats are optional like Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio.

Its like its mandatory for all DVD's to carry Dolby format but optional to carry the DTS format.

However, that said the Dolby True HD is a superior format to DTS as its a lossless HD audio format.

NO , PS3 doesnt support MKV format ...

you can use this tutorial AfterDawn.com: Guides: How to play MKV content on PlayStation 3 (PS3) (M2TS)

or u can use Media Server to stream via Wifi / Lan ( with some PQ reduction )

I think PS3 should update with MKV support

You're right, However you've got to be careful using TSMuxer as it doesn't always work perfectly. I use mk2vob which gets it 100% right. TSMuxer tries to fool the PS3, however doesn't work, but mk2vob does a full transcode.

I also use PS3 Media Server for streaming, but it's rubbish over wi-fi. I would recommend using wired in this case.

You can also find AVCHD sources in the internet and don't need conversion.

If anyone has any issue on conversion, streaming drop me PM.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back