The End

After 3 decades of owning a variety of sources, amps, speakers, cables, racks, room correction devices and power conditioning devices, I have finally settled on my system which hopefully will last me through the next decade.

Only the ic is left to be finalised, which I shall hopefully do by next month end.
Good to see you feel settled with your set-up. Wish you few months (at least) of pure listening - without a thought of what can be improved. It’s like the bliss at the end of rigorous meditation for hours. Even if evanescent, it’s bliss. Soak in it.

Congrats Prem! For stating boldly that you have reached the end of your road! I don’t believe it and I am willing to wager a bet. Particularly when you have friends like Dr. Bass and Arj. They are a incendiary combination!

Enjoy it while it lasts!!!
@anilva was spot on to catch both of your friends. Both are still selling their gears which made him to believe there is no "End" for you. They will share their experiences on next and you will be once again wakeup with glaring sun on your face.

Srinisundar, you’ve got it all wrong. While Arj, Dr Bass and I might be sharing this hobby, our friendship goes way beyond that. When we meet, there are many things that we discuss beyond music. They are the last guys who tell me what to buy or not.

After being in this hobby for more than three decades, I am perfectly capable of taking my own decisions. The people I speak to before taking a call on any piece of equipment range from David Karmeli, Srajan, Franck Tchang, David Berning, Thoress, Jim Smith, Frank Schroeder and a few others from abroad.

So next time please get your facts right before posting.

@anilva was spot on to catch both of your friends. Both are still selling their gears which made him to believe there is no "End" for you. They will share their experiences on next and you will be once again wakeup with glaring sun on your face.

I got really worried that someone was posting my gear for sale. What are the posts you have seen from me for sale in the last few years ?
Really looking forward to see this.

Guys, I was dead serious that all my experiments are coming to an end. Considering my room constraints, I really like what I am hearing. To improve upon this, I will probably need to spend double of what I have already spent. And I am unwilling to do that.

I might still try a few small tweaks in power delivery and also look at some simple room correction tweaks to see if they offer any improvement. But as far as equipment goes, I am done. If I move to a much larger house, only then shall I reconsider.

Guys, I was dead serious that all my experiments are coming to an end. Considering my room constraints, I really like what I am hearing. To improve upon this, I will probably need to spend double of what I have already spent. And I am unwilling to do that.

I might still try a few small tweaks in power delivery and also look at some simple room correction tweaks to see if they offer any improvement. But as far as equipment goes, I am done. If I move to a much larger house, only then shall I reconsider.
Looks like you are DEAD serious.. May be your room is DEAD :) :) .. Call some more experts, they will make it AWAKENING with adding some absorbers and bass traps or some other kits.

Just for joke... Happy listening till we visit your place..

I got really worried that someone was posting my gear for sale. What are the posts you have seen from me for sale in the last few years ?
Really looking forward to see this.
Atleast this will make you to consider selling some "wanted" stuff to sell and upgrade.

Srinisundar, you’ve got it all wrong. While Arj, Dr Bass and I might be sharing this hobby, our friendship goes way beyond that. When we meet, there are many things that we discuss beyond music. They are the last guys who tell me what to buy or not.

After being in this hobby for more than three decades, I am perfectly capable of taking my own decisions. The people I speak to before taking a call on any piece of equipment range from David Karmeli, Srajan, Franck Tchang, David Berning, Thoress, Jim Smith, Frank Schroeder and a few others from abroad.

So next time please get your facts right before posting.

I have got it right but in a wrong way meant for you... Just for a happy weekend.. This thread should not end like a love story and it should have adrenaline like your movie thursday and also forthcoming spyseries panthers . So added some stuffs.. Hope you will forgive me. :) :)

No issues Srinisundar.

And if you come home and tell me it’s sounding dead, I guess I will have to start all over again :)

Jenson, there’s one picture on the other thread started by fiftyfifty titled, A Tuesday xxxx. The only change is the speaker cable in that. :)

Final System

EMT 950 with its own console, 929 tonearm and TSD 15 spherical tip cartridge

Thoress phono enhancer isolated with two slabs of one inch steel separated by O rings

Thoress EHT integrated amp isolated with two slabs of one inch steel separated by O rings

JBL 4343 speakers isolated with a steel isolation platform filled with lead and sand, designed by Sound Foundations

Denon AK-5000 speaker cables

Radio Shack ic or Ortofon 6NX 605 ic

Dedicated Romex power line from meter box to system outlet.

Ching Cheng power cables
Congratulations - seems to be so lovingly put together. I am sure it sounds fantastic!
But retiring......no way...this is a slippery slope no one climbs out of........ :)

Just saw this thread Prem. Though I knew of these final touches on your setup, it is quite something to make a public announcement..... becomes a kind of commitment to oneself.

But whether it is in audio, films or some other field, the quest for improvement does not end. So I know that while your explorations may change tracks, they will not 'end'. In any case, I'm sure that your role as a mentor to others on this forum, which includes me, will guide them to progress towards their own individual 'ends'. Best wishes always.

Prem,

I enjoyed this thread. The common denominator, ...........we are all human beings.

In my early audio years, we used conical or spherical tips often. Cool to see it mentioned by you today. Decca MK.2s, 3s, 4s and 5s back then.

We were driving things like Citroen DS-21s and 356A Speedsters those years.

My original Audio mentor Robert Fulton highly preferred and marketed a conical tip moving coil cartridge. As a matter of fact, I think I have 13 left. I seem to recall it being made from ENTRE TYPE 2 bodies, for Robert, in Japan.

Jeff

Last edited:
Imo, the ear, being a sense organ, it's difficult to keep it satisfied for long. After a while you will look for more gratification and look for a change. The change need not be because of anything wrong with your setup, but just your ears have got used to the sound signature and wants something different.

The trick is to draw a line and be happy and contended with what you have without having your inner desire overpowering you. It takes a lot of courage to control your desires, especially when you have the funds for upgrades. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Over the years, I have owned many ICs. Monster, JP Labs, Rethm, Jorma, Transparent Reference, ASI Liveline, Kimber Select, Cardas and several pro cables. In the last few years I moved over to a simple Radio Shack ic and preferred it over many bigger, expensive brands in my system. Recently I also added Gepco and Ortofon to the stable. Initially wasn’t impressed with the Gepco. But Fiftyfifty kept saying it’s a good cable. I guess it needed a long run in. I have always found tinned copper cables to need a long run in. Don’t know why. I loved the Ortofon from the time I put it in my system. It immediately replaced the Radio Shack. Both Ortofon and Gepco are more resolving than the RS. The Gepco resolves bass really well. Ortofon edges it on texture and harmonics. I guess it will come down to system synergy and personal taste. I personally prefer the Gepco with my EMT. I would presume in a digital rig, the Ortofon would be the better choice since it does harmonics and texture better. Both are equally resolving with maybe a very slight edge to Ortofon

Nice to hear that you have come to the End of upgrades Prem ( but i guess at some point you may consider a X over upgrade)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back