The Hindi film music Desert Island

SAAHIR LUDHIANVI ki kalaam se....

Posting this as i just read the following being posted about KABHI KABHI on some other thread.

"Still shudder when I hear that awful song".
"Hideous cliches,embarrasing sentiments,simpering,coy and inane lyrics".

I only hope that the person posting the above is,
1. ignorant of the poetry in its entirity, which is all there in the movie.
2. does'nt understand HINDI, URDU.
3. ignorant of Saahir's body of work, and how highly people rate him even in comparison to the greats like MIR, FAIZ, AHMED FARAZ, GHALIB.....

I do not have an iota of doubt that a person who understands even a bit of hindi, udru would find it anything close to simpering, coy and inane...
Its a masterpiece....

FILM - KABHI KABHI
LYRICS - SAAHIR
ORIGINAL WORK - TALKHIYAAN

??? ??? ???? ??? ??? ???? ??? ???
?? ?????? ???? ??????? ?? ???? ???? ??? ?????? ????,
?? ????? (delightful) ?? ?? ???? ???

?? ???-?-??? (grief) ?? ?????? ?? ??? ?? ??? ???
???? ???? ?? ???? (shine) ??? ?? ?? ???? ???

??? ?? ?? ?? ???,
??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ???,
?? ?? ????, ???? ??? ???? ??????? (desire) ?? ?????

????? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ?????? ????,
??? ???? ?? ????? ?? ???? ?? ????.

? ??? ???, ? ?????, ? ????? ?? ?????
??? ???? ?? ??????? ??? ?????? ????.

????? ??????? ??? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ??
??? ????? ??? ???? ??-??? (companion), ??? ?????
??? ??? ???? ??? ??? ???? ??? ??.

------ ?????

Alec sir, please move this thread out of phono/tt category to source>music category. Its getting interesting . I want more n more ppl to get involved.
@sumeet-
Three thumbs up to you.
rangeela re was height of felicity of a woman's heart. for the unInitiated, watch in the movie, the situation of song. And then ponder k likhne wale ne kya likha hai.
Also did you lay your hands on talkhiyan yet?

Last edited:
@sumeet-
Three thumbs up to you.
rangeela re was height of felicity of a woman's heart. for the unInitiated, watch in the movie, the situation of song. And then ponder k likhne wale ne kya likha hai.

Also do not forget to notice the absolutely magnificent use of VIOLINS playing in the background....
just concentrate on the violins, and i am sure u will hear this track 5 more times repeatedly only for that....
BURMAN-DADA ki jai ho....

I am very sure this youtube video would'nt do any justice to the violins.... but never the less, an tempted to post it...

song - RANGEELA RE from the movie PREM PUJARI....

YouTube - Prem Pujari - Rangeela Re Tere Rang Mein - Lata Mangeshkar

Another rapid fire list of songs that I used to be fond of and still hum when struck by Bollywood fever :)

Koi Lauta De Mere Bite Hue Din/Door Gagan Ki Chaaon Mein
Aa Chal Ke Tujhe/Door Gagan Ki Chaaon Mein
Jaane Woh Kaise Log/Pyaasa
Jinhe Naaz Hai/Pyaasa
Jeena Yahan/Mera Naam Joker
Jaane Kahan Gaye/Mera Naam Joker
Jo Tumko Ho Pasand/Safar
Jeevan Se Bhari/Safar
Nadiya Chale/Safar
Zindagi Kaise Hai Paheli/Anand
Kahin Door/Anand
Humein Tumse Pyar Kitna/Kudrat
O Mere Dil Ke Chaain/Mere Jeevan Sathi
Mere Dil Mein Aaj/Daag
Yeh Jo Chilmun Hai/Mehboob Ki Mehndi
Sama Hai Suhana/Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani
Zindagi Ke Safar Mein/Aap Ki Kasam
Mera Jeevan Kora Kagaz/Kora Kagaz
Pal Pal /Blackmail
Koi Hota Jisko Apna/Mere Apne
Meri Bheegi Bheegi/Anamika
Pyar Manga Hai/College Girl
Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna/Chalte Chalte
Mana Ho Tum Behad/Toote Khilone
Ek Akela Is Sheher Mein/Gharaonda
Aap Ki Aankhon Mein Kuch/Ghar
O Majhi Re/Khushboo
Dil Cheez Kya/Umrao Jaan
Dil Dhoonta Ta/Mausam
Likhe Jo Khat Tujhe/Kanyadaan
Ka Karoon Sajni/Swami

YouTube - Ka Karoon Sajni
YouTube - Ka Karoon Sajni Aye Na Baalam - Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan

Last edited:
Ajay..

DOOR GAGAN KI CHHAON MEIN has 2 other numbers which I would rate much better than the ones u mention....
Pls listen to them if u already have'nt and post ur opinion....

1. KHOYA KHOYA CHANDA - ASHA BHOSLE
FILM - DOOR GAGAN KI CHHAON MEIN
MUSIC - KISHORE KUMAR
LYRICS - SHAILENDRA.

YouTube - Khoya Khoya Chanda - Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein

and the BEST OF THE LOT is,

2. JIN RAATON KI BHOR NAHI HAI - KISHORE KUMAR
FILM - DOOR GAGAN KI CHHAON MEIN
MUSIC - KISHORE KUMAR
LYRICS - SHAILENDRA.

YouTube - Kishore Kumar-'Jin raaton ki bhor nahin hai...' in 'Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein'

Two absolute gems from the movie....

doc...
i have already posted my top 20....
so a question of this song featuring in that list does'nt arise...
anyway, that does'nt make it a bad song... i love it, and just needed other people's opinion on the same.... hence the post.....

please post ur list.....

SAAHIR LUDHIANVI ki kalaam se....

Posting this as i just read the following being posted about KABHI KABHI on some other thread.

"Still shudder when I hear that awful song".
"Hideous cliches,embarrasing sentiments,simpering,coy and inane lyrics".

I only hope that the person posting the above is,
1. ignorant of the poetry in its entirity, which is all there in the movie.
2. does'nt understand HINDI, URDU.
3. ignorant of Saahir's body of work, and how highly people rate him even in comparison to the greats like MIR, FAIZ, AHMED FARAZ, GHALIB.....

I do not have an iota of doubt that a person who understands even a bit of hindi, udru would find it anything close to simpering, coy and inane...
Its a masterpiece....

FILM - KABHI KABHI
LYRICS - SAAHIR
ORIGINAL WORK - TALKHIYAAN

??? ??? ???? ??? ??? ????? ??? ???
?? ??????? ???? ??????? ?? ???? ???? ??? ?????? ????,
?? ????? (delightful) ?? ?? ???? ???

?? ???-?-??? (grief) ?? ?????? ?? ??? ?? ??? ???
???? ???? ?? ???? (shine) ??? ?? ?? ???? ???

??? ?? ?? ?? ???,
??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ???,
?? ?? ????, ???? ??? ???? ??????? (desire) ?? ?????

????? ??? ??? ??? ?? ??? ??????? ????,
??? ???? ?? ????? ?? ???? ?? ????.

? ??? ???, ? ?????, ? ????? ?? ?????
??? ???? ?? ??????? ??? ??????? ????.

????? ??????? ??? ?? ?????? ??? ?? ??
??? ????? ??? ???? ??-??? (companion), ??? ?????
??? ??? ???? ??? ??? ????? ??? ??.

------ ?????

Sumeet
My grasp of Hindi and Urdu is not good enough to understand the finer nuances of poetry written in these languages. I am aware that Saahir Ludhianvi is very highly regarded. I do not have any exposure to his poetry, but I rate "Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaye To Kya Hai " (the song and the sequence) as the high watermark of mainstream Indian cinema.

My reaction to the Kabhi Kabhi song has more to do with the Yash Chopra brand of cinema, which I find cliched,simpering,coy and dripping with phony sentiments. I do like poetry, but I find it is more potent, when it is 'protected' by the strong covers of a nicely bound book. Exposing poetry to the whims,fancies and compulsions of block buster cinema, is akin to exposing a tender green shoot to the hot,merciless sun of the Sahara desert.

I do not believe that Ghalib,Faiz,Sahir Ludhianvi ( or the poets I do read.... Neruda,Lorca,Borges,Pessoa,Rilke,Baudelaire,Rimbaud,Eliot ) will shed their 'light' when they are confined within the tacky spaces of mainstream, crowd pleasing cinema.

Exposing poetry to the whims,fancies and compulsions of block buster cinema, is akin to exposing a tender green shoot to the hot,merciless sun of the Sahara desert.[/I]

I do not believe that Ghalib,Faiz,Sahir Ludhianvi ( or the poets I do read.... Neruda,Lorca,Borges,Pessoa,Rilke,Baudelaire,Rimbaud,Eliot ) will shed their 'light' when they are confined within the tacky spaces of mainstream, crowd pleasing cinema.

YES...
And that is where the challenge lies.....
when cinema became a popular medium, both MUSIC and POETRY, which used to be played in the confines of the temples, mosques, gurudwaras, palaces; and mostly centered upon pleasing the GOD, the COUNTRY, the LOVER or the MAHARAJAS; was suddenly faced with a challenge of creating COMPOSITIONS and POETRY for various situations......
GHALIB never had to face this situation and i am sure neither did Neruda,Lorca,Borges,Pessoa,Rilke,Baudelaire,Rimbaud,Eliot; but people like SAAHIR, KAIFI AZMI, MAJROOH, ANAND BAKSHI did. You either faced the challenge or perished.....
These people did astounding work and that too without compromising on the LYRICAL QUALITY......

Try another of SAAHIR song for example,

??? ???????? ?? ??? ?????? ??? ???
?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ????? ??? ???

?????????? ?? ??? ????? ?????? ?? ( ??? - grief , ?????? - useless )
?????????? ?? ???? ????? ??? ??? ( ???? - celebration )
?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ????? ??? ???..............

?? ??? ??? ??? ?? ???????? ??? ???? ( ??????? - destiny )
?? ?? ??? ??? ???? ?????? ??? ???
?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ????? ??? ???..............

??? ?? ????? ??? ???? ? ????? ?? ????
??? ??? ?? ?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ???

( I am trying to bring my heart to a stage where i would not be able to differentiate between grief and joy)
( try and understand the DEPTH behind this thought )

??? ???????? ?? ??? ?????? ??? ???
?? ????? ?? ???? ??? ????? ??? ??? ....................

------------------------- SAAHIR

sumeet

"I am trying to bring my heart to a stage where I would not be able to differentiate between grief and joy"

This is very close to a practical working philosophy, I fashioned for myself, after I crossed the rubicon of my 40th year. I decided to curb my exuberance and joy when good fortune happened, and to curb my anger and frustration when things were not going my way. My 'ideal' mind would be a mountain lake which does not ripple or lose it's 'stillness' when a stone is thrown into it's waters :)

Knowledge can come from the most unexpected sources. It does not respect borders,nationalities or class divides. I borrowed 'my' ideas from the Roman Stoic philosophers like Seneca and Epictetus. But ideas filter through myriad streams and tributaries. I agree that the best mainstream songs are one of those tributaries.
YouTube - Jaidev::Seene Mein Jalan

"POETRY (OR MUSIC) IN MAINSTREAM HINDI CINEMA (BOTH FOR YOU AND ME) WOULD ONLY BE WHAT YOU AND ME ARE EXPOSED TO".

A full blown exposure to the likes of SAAHIR, SACHIN DEV BURMAN, LATA MANGESHKAR, MADAN MOHAN, GURU DUTT would elevate these FILMY figures to the likes of Ghalib, Chopin, Rumi, Kafka, Dostoevsky, Kurosawa.... (i cannot even think of an international equivalent to Lataji).......
the tributaries that you mention would cease to be that and would slowly but surely elevated to be rivers, seas and oceans of creativity and originality......

exposure is the key........
i myself used to think that HINDI FILM MUSIC can never be compared to the giants of the great HINDUSTANI CLASSICAL MUSIC, which was a benchmark for me..... but with the right exposure i found out that there was some stunningly original and extraoridinary work done in film music......
if you yourself were NOT exposed to the international cinema, how would you have unearthed the plagarism by the likes of Tatantino, Manoj Night Shyamalan or Mahesh Bhatt.... the Yash Chopra brand of cinema as you like to call it.....

Sumeet
but I rate "Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaye To Kya Hai " (the song and the sequence) as the high watermark of mainstream Indian cinema.

What an example to mention Ajay.....
The song brings together the stalwarts of creative genious Saahir, S.D.Burman, Rafi and Guru Dutt.....

?? ????? , ?? ??????, ?? ????? ?? ??????
?? ????? ?? ?????? ?????? ?? ??????
?? ???? ?? ???? ??????? ?? ??????
?? ?????? ??? ??? ?? ??? ?? ???? ?? .......

?? ?? ????? ???? , ?? ?? ??? ??????
??????? ??? ????? , ????? ??? ?????
?? ?????? ?? ?? ??? -? -????????
?? ?????? ??? ??? ?? ??? ?? ???? ?? .....

???? ?? ?????? ?? ????? ?? ?????
?? ????? ?? ?????? -??????? ?? ?????
???? ?? ???? ?? ?? ??? ?????

????? ????? ?? ????? ????
???? ????? ???? ?? ????? ????
???? ????? ???? ?? ??????? ????

?? ?????? ???? ???? ??? ???? ??
??? ??? ???? , ?????? ??? ???? ??
???? ????? ?? ???? ?? ??? ???? ??

??? ?? , ??? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??????
???? ????? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??????
???????? ?? ??? ?? ?????? ?? ??????

------ SAAHIR

((((( Why do we need such a world which bows to the rich and treats the underprivileged with utter contempt? I dont want a world which doesnt give a damn to a person or loyalty or friendship or love, a world where everyone is deeply hurt, faces only problems, where beauty is sold in open market, and where death is cheaper than life )))).

ALSO, DO NOT FORGET TO LISTEN TO THE WHOLE "PYASSA" SOUNDTRACK..... IT IS ONE OF THOSE INSTANCES WHERE A LYRICIST HAS OVER-SHADOWED AND TOTALLY HIJACKED THE MUSICAL COMPOSITIONS..... A VERY VERY TALL ORDER WHEN THE COMPOSER IS A PERSON NONE OTHER THAN THE GREAT DADA BURMAN....

sumeet
'Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaye To Kya Hai' and 'Jeene Naaz Hai Hind Per Woh Kahan Hain', are worth their weight in gold. The build up to these songs in the film,Sahir's words,Guru Dutt's persona,the music of SD Burman's and Rafi's voice, make these songs perhaps the most memorable moments in Indian cinema. There is one line from Hindi cinema that I admire more than any other:
???????? ?? ??? ?? ?????? ?? ??????

Another duo of songs from a single film, which do not reach the Pyaasa heights, but are still very good are, Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din and Jeena Yahan Marna Yahan, from Mera Naam Joker. Once again it is the chemistry of words by Shailendra, music by Shankar-Jaikishan, the persona of Raj Kapoor and the voice of Mukesh which make these songs unforgettable.
YouTube - jeena yaha marna yaha~mera naam joker

Alas!
One of those films that I would love to watch, but which will never be made.
A remake of Mera Naam Joker by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, with Naseerudin Shah doing Raj Kapoor's role.
Or perhaps my daughter's favorite actor, Hrithik, from the current generation of actors.

Please watch the movie (those who haven't and also those who have), not just for the lyrics...... its an encyclopedia in acting, direction, story, lyrics, singing and film making in general......

FILM - PYAASA.
LYRICS - SAAHIR
SINGER - RAFI SAHAB
ACTOR / DIRECTOR - GURU DUTT

?? ???? , ?? ????? ?? ?????? ??
?? ????? ??? , ?????? ?????? ??
???? ??? , ???? ?? ????????? ???? ?? ?
??????? ??? ?? ???? ?? ?? ???? ??? ?
???? ??? , ???? ??? , ???? ??? ?

?? ??? -??? ?????? , ?? ????? ?????
?? ?????? ???? , ?? ??????? ?? ?????
?? ????? ?? ???? , ?? ????? ?? ?????

?? ?????? ?? ????? ???? ?? ??????
?? ????? ??? ?????? ????? ??????
?? ????? ??? ????? ?????????

?? ???? ?????? ??? , ???? ?? ?? ??
??? ???? ?????? ?? , ???? ?? ?? ??
?? ????? ????? ??? , ????? ?? ?? ??

?? ????? ?? ???? , ?? ????? ?? ?????
?? ????? ????? , ?? ??????? ???????
?? ???? ??? , ?? ?? ????? ?????

???? ??? ?? ? ???? ??? , ???? ??
?????? ???? ?? , ????? ????? ??
?? ???? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? , ?? ??? ?? (watch Guru Dutt's facial expression here)

??? ????? ?? , ?? ??? ?? ????
????? ?? ?????? ???? ?? ????
?????? ?? ????? , ?????? ?? ????

??? ????? ?? ?????? ?? ?????
?? ???? , ?? ?????? , ?? ???? ?????
??????? ??? ?? ???? ?? , ????? ???
---------------- ?????

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back