The NAD Sound

Being a NAD-only amplifier user, I can tell you for sure that NAD and PSB go hand in hand. I believe that its the NAD signature that creates the "magic". I have used several other brands but always went back to NAD. All the NADs that I've owned or heard have been running on other speaker brands, but the NAD magic always remained.

3. Do we really have to go to all this pain to find the matching sound - why not ...gasp use the EQ?

Hey Arun,

Don't sweat it! There is no such thing as a 'perfect' system, imho. That is exactly what marketing wants us to believe and lock us into a cycle of dissatisfaction through frequent upgrades! We music/gear lovers seem to be chasing a mythical sound that exists only in our head and between our ears!

In photography world they say that the best camera is the one that you have! Same with audio I suppose.

I am a happy owner of "entry level" Marantz/Wharfedale gear and it sounds wonderful to me! I went from 0 to my current set up and I couldn't be happier with the sound. If I had to swap out the Marantz for a NAD, I would do so without breaking a sweat. I believe the 'sound' you hear is really the speaker and not the amp, unless you are listening to a truly bad amp or am amp that is tuned to a specific taste - in which case it has deviated from text book design rules! House sound, If I may! Personally, I couldn't care less. I want the gear to serve the music and get me excited about playing more music than before. And, no one is stopping you from using EQ to get the results 'you' want! Don't be afraid to break the rules. I drive my Marantz with Loudness switched on ALL the time and bass/treble slightly boosted to give a bit of oomph to the music. Gasp, blasphemy to audiophiles!! Ruler flat is accurate but boring. Sucks! Music should be exciting.

Fwiw, the last time I heard a NAD amp, I thought that was the one to get!

Save your money & enjoy what you have. Let us know how you settled up. Cheers.

I have had the NAD 3020 for many years and have heard it with a variety of speakers ranging from AR, Advent, Tannoy, my own DIY, Infinity, Arphi, B&W, Canton to name a few. PSB is one that I have actually not heard.

The NAD 3020 definitely has something going for it, some may call it under powered, but I have never found it lacking.
I have always preferred the NAD as a power amp, absolutely uncoloured and balanced.
With modern DACs providing 2 volt outputs and with bitperfect streaming, I find it more than enough to drive the NAD as a power amp.

I have owned around 20 to 30 amps in the past 30 odd years, but this is the only that has remained.

The 3020 is presently working as a power amp in my secondary setup driving a pair of heavily modded Infinity RS425 bookshelf speakers.
The source is my laptop with Plex server and Chromecast audio is the DAC cum preamp.

Last edited:
I believe the 'sound' you hear is really the speaker and not the amp, unless you are listening to a truly bad amp

Each equipment in the chain is capable of colouring the sound, DACs have their own signatures be it a standalone or one in say a CD player.
Similarly preamp, amp, cables and speakers too can make a difference and ofcourse the listening environment also plays a big role.
The most important of the lot is the quality of music being played.
I am of the school of thought of never equing.
I like a balanced sound with decent amount of body in the midrange, so try to achieve this through the chain.
Music is psychoacoustic, but with time and a passion for critical listening, it is possible to overcome that, and yes equipments can be a big damn difference.

Some simple filters for ears are:
Bass: should be taut and not boomy or muddy
Midrange: the most critical area (can be warm, maybe a tad bright too but not muddy or hollow)
Highs: Can be detailed or a bit rolled off to taste but not screechy, sibilant or fatiguing.

Hi Friends,

I finally ended up making my purchase, without spending for the NAD and stuck to the same amp (Yamaha DSP A2070) I had procured second to increase the budget I had available for the speakers.

Hopefully, it will survive long enough and if not I know which amp to then look for.

Here is a big thanks to everyone who nudged me along. :)

Rgds
Arun

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back