~ The parasite left me today ~

vinod_david

Banned
Banned
Hi:

I had indeed reported here that i suffered from the dreaded ground loop. After weeks and weeks of madness to cure this disease searching all over internet, a few forums, buying even an expensive Profigold RCA with ferrite supressor cable, turning my hifi section upside down, various visits by cable operator, panasonic service guy, electrician, trying to lift the ground, walking to each and every store in Richie street asking for that 'holy grail - ground loop isolator':D, which I found out one can never find in India (sure) - finally today afternoon I reached for one place in the living room I had never touched in my research, and that is the cable feed that comes from outside and joins to a RF cable inside living room; actually an electrician had joined them both, and this he had taped heavily using insulation tape. I removed that tape today, and there I could see two copper wires joined as you would do normally, and strangely the outer silver mesh like thing of both the cable feed was tightly joined together :eek: I immediately separated them and cut them away, and joined only the copper cables of both wires; and presto when I switched on my plasma and STB, those running lines and hum had indeed vanished, all I could see was stunning pctures and awsome SQ from PV8. When I again joined the outer silver mesh of both cables, there it was, the humm and running lines, my goodness.

I had indeed found the culprit. Now, am enjoying those lovely SD PQ of PV8, after purchasing it two months back. Lessons learnt - don't make moutain out of mole hill.:)

I dont think it was a because of a ground loop. Its because of rogue RF and EMI making into your system

This happens to me every time I connect the cable TV in my room. My audio system hums badly

I dont think it was a because of a ground loop. Its because of rogue RF and EMI making into your system

This happens to me every time I connect the cable TV in my room. My audio system hums badly

+1!...........................................................................

Seems like you are getting the audio and 'video hum bars' but have to figure out if its because of Radio or Electromagenic interference. Good rule of thumb is that if it is at lower freqs, then its EMI and at higher freq its RFI.

One way to get around these is to use decent quality coax cables without any breaks and with proper shielding. The two types to ask when you make the purchase is: braid or foil.

Braid shields consist of wires woven togetherand can remove 95% of the problem. Foil shields provide close to 100% coverage but they are not the best conductors when compared to the braid.

Depending on the extent of your problem, you need to choose one.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back