The " PFA TRIPLE 6005 "..... DIY tube amplifier of 2022.

Hello :

A GE black plate 6AQ5 and / or, in this case, a GE 6005, is pictured below.

Notice the three circular strengthening ridges in its 12 Watt rated plate? Notice a ROUND plate !!

.... cropped CLEAN.png

Now, go back to Post #59, and re-look inside the EIMAC 304TL. Look at ANY of the four internal 75 Watt larger plate assemblies. They have "wings" for cooling, very good, but...... also, look !!! The EIMAC 304TLs have four quite similar strengthening ridges, in their 75 Watt round plates.

I contend such symmetrical designs, round plates, matching round grids, and cathodes if applicable, are superior in their electron flow. Intrinsically superior, to all the world's existing vacuum tubes with NON round, NON symmetrical to-each-other internal element assemblies. It is audible folks !!! :) It is physics, no textbook reading needed, simply physics applied by thinking some. KISS rules !!! If we are going to build something and seek the very highest performance, we should apply the best physical shapes to the elements in our designs.

Note, the internal spacing in a 6AQ5/6005, between elements, is very close.

I was taught by Dennis Fraker to ALWAYS seek long term reliability, so I do NOT operate these 6AQ5/6005 tubes near their maximum 250 or 275 VDC rating. Usually aim for 225 VDC as a maximum plate to cathode VDC difference. No internal tube shorts, are ever wanted.

I also seek a Golden Ratio of " actual to Maximum " rated plate dissipation, to have literally decades of tube life, at the expense of fractionally less Power Output. A conservative / quite wise choice, IME. 62 percent of 12 Watts is 7.44 Watts of plate power / dissipation, while at no-signal, while at idle. :) Its like driving your car on a High Speed Road, all day / continuously at 62 MPH rather than continuously at 120 MPH. ( MPH works better than with kilometers per hour. )

I have been experimenting with this tube, for only maybe seven or eight years. The tube, when optimally employed, is awesome - performing. F.M. LLiu has nicely attested to this recently, with my 2022 S/N #2. But it was not until the 2021 6005 build, fully documented on HFV, that I have gotten to where I feel fully " comfortable " ( in late-2022, early-2023 ) with the 6005's audio performance.

Crudely externally-paralleling the 2021 STEREO / SINGLE 6005 amp build, into a " DOUBLE 6005 monoblock " ( in December 2022 ), was an eye-or-ear-opener. My Audio Mentor Dennis tells me, for ALTEC 16 inch woofers, loaded into an A7 VOTT enclosure, this upcoming TRIPLE SE amp is where I will be happiest, overjoyed, and can stop. Coming up, such an amp - sometimes in the first half of 2023 !! I'm getting excited to have and hear this, at will - at the flick of a switch. " The Dennis TRIPLE- FSHS ".

Jeff

Last edited:
LATEST EXTERIOR, LAY-OUT

Switched circuit to original GE " 97F-series " motor run OIL caps, for C1 and C2.

Here today, is where it has been decided to place them.

Likely use round cap clamps below chassis and two large chassis-punched holes. Chassis is 14 gauge steel, with welded corners. Powder coated " Midnight Blue Wrinkle ".

Yes - metalflake paint the two GE oil caps and transformer covers. :)

FIRST PHOTO w GE OILS rev 2.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
07 - 23 - 22............................. EQUAL length Wire Build Detail ........

Avoid " dog - legging " in S.E. builds, etc, when possible, employ EQUAL wire lengths .

FINALS stage , three 6005 tubes wired in parallel. 19 AWG " Wonder Wire " used.

G1 and G2 circuit wiring details photographed. Unique .

View attachment 70817

View attachment 70818

View attachment 70819

ANODE and CATHODE triple EQUAL wiring not yet ready to execute. Not shown.

The desired 1% tolerance Cathode power resistors, used for the three 6005 tubes, are not arriving until 08-26-22 . 5% tolerance resistors simply will not do in that circuit location.

Jeff

Jeff, I may not know anything about electrical engineering but as a UX designer I know art when I see it, and this is art. Everything you've written in this thread really needs to be documented because it's insight into a lifetime of understanding and a school of thought in itself. That itself demands it be preserved somehow.

Thank you for the time and effort you've taken to write everything on this thread.

Jeff, I may not know anything about electrical engineering but as a UX designer I know art when I see it, and this is art. Everything you've written in this thread really needs to be documented because it's insight into a lifetime of understanding and a school of thought in itself. That itself demands it be preserved somehow.

Thank you for the time and effort you've taken to write everything on this thread.
Thanks for your kind words.

One of my favorite threads, which documents an entire STEREO 6005 amplifier design and build of 2021-2022, has decent detail.

It is only marred by posts from two individuals, one who subsequently got permanently HFV banned " as a nuisance." Here it is :

Last edited:
AMPLIFIER UPDATE, TRIPLE MONOBLOCKS , June 10, 2023

Not much at all has occurred the last 2 to 3 months, on these " Triple 6005 " monoblock amplifier builds. WHY ???

I have been working on eliminating digital sources - and going back to analogue 100% in my home. Analogue in the form of using my personal life-long collection -it is well over 10,000 L.P. records.

Yes, I am keenly interested to build these TRIPLE 6005 Monos. It appears like I am months away, to get going again on the " TRIPLE 6005s ." Not until I finish this year's modded Cascode 12AX7 RIAA EQ design, do I get to work on the new TRIPLE amps.

The new all-tube Phono Preamp will get decently documented, for all to see here on Hi Fi Vision - early in this year.

Stay tuned to all, please. These are BOTH fun and most-worthy audio builds.

Someone with a good audio system in India, DIY build some TRIO speaker wires, and report back what you hear - to all FMs. I can answer any questions - and assist. Seems very silly in all of India to have only Hari Iyer, benefiting from their design.

If your audio system is fairly decent, realize these speaker leads have never been outperfomed anywheres to date, to my best knowledge......

So,....... what more could anyone serious ask for ?

Jeff

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back