The Queen, scurvy, limeys, a R2R DAC and the art of writing reviews

Analogous

I kid you not; this review has all the elements mentioned in the header, and more!
Some reviews are dull, others are boring, many have objective measurements, most have subjective opinions, some are interesting, funny, entertaining. most are informative and offer insights to do the job of a review. And, a Few rise above all this.

In this age when everyone is a reviewer (give 5 stars please) professional reviewers stand out from the rest of us as they tend to bring a mix of knowledge, experience, language and communication skills, integrity and a passion for the subject.

Making comparisons, using stories, analogies and examples to illustrate a sensory (audio) experience well is a fine art.
Very few reviews become something special. I believe this is one such.

Please share any other good reviews that you may have come across…

Last edited:
I have one.

What stands out here for me is that Vlad is writing on a tech blog meant for a non audiophile audience. Which means he doesn’t need to pander to advertisers and this is probably the most honest review I’ve read of the Hugo 2. It was great to see a review in the mainstream which pretty much echoed my own thoughts about the Hugo after having listened to it.

I have one.

What stands out here for me is that Vlad is writing on a tech blog meant for a non audiophile audience. Which means he doesn’t need to pander to advertisers and this is probably the most honest review I’ve read of the Hugo 2. It was great to see a review in the mainstream which pretty much echoed my own thoughts about the Hugo after having listened to it.
Wow! That’s a brutal takedown of the Hugo 2!
I have heard the Mojo, but not the Hugo. So can’t relate this review to personal experience.
You are right, he is definitely not pandering to a fan club and calls out its shortcomings …“…precision means nothing without pleasure.” That sums up his review well. It is well written.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back