The quest for HT begins

kneo

Hello to all.

Happened to get a link to this forum via TBHP's HT thread. I am n00b when it comes to HT/Audio/Video and not a very discerning user. I aim to have a good enough HT in my living room in the coming year and hope that this forum would help me build it up from scratch.

Welcome!

Your budget, whether you will be spending this at the same time or over a period of time (months or years), your preference for musical or movie oriented setup and finally your usage (movies versus music) are the factors that will help us in helping you. Your location and availability of specific brands there might also play a role.

Enjoy the journey...

Welcome Kneo -
As Morpheus tole Neo in Matrix ( ater getting some knowledge)

Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?
Morpheus: You've never used them before.

:clapping::clapping:

So welcome to the real world of AV information !!!! The knowledge is so vast you'll feel confused ,almost blind...but wrry not ... we are here and your quest of HT in budget will fulfill

some questions - answers will help us to guide
1) Your budget
2) Music Preferances
3) Movie Preferances
4) Ht requirement ( More for music or movies?/)
5) Is tower speakers are OK or small speakers required?
6) You have any TV/LCD/Plasma? If you are looking for it ,it's requirements...does it's price included in your budget/
7) You have existing DVD player?
8) Any exisrting Home Theatre componant you want to upgrade?Like speakers?
9) You want to connect your PC /laptop to HT?
10) Your location in Mumbai? So that I can tell you sale offers - I normally track Vashi market and a lot o folk othe markets..

Worry not - you'll achieve sonic path ...again as Morpheus says : Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

All the best!!!

Thanks for the welcome.

I do know what I require and would be outlining the same. I've been trying to find a guide in this forum which I have not been able to after 20 mins of searching.

1. Guide for n00bs for setting up a HT - I am assuming that this is where someone for whom HT = HTiB can get an understanding of receivers/powered sub/amps/upscaling, and other such jargon which comes regular to veterans of this forum. For a n00b like me understanding this is very important before I start investing money in it.

Can someone direct me to something which would help me in understanding all this?

I'll definitely post my requirements in the appropriate thread.

OT - Yes the Kneo name is inspired by Matrix and was my handle in the days when I used to play Quake3 on the LAN - 'He is the one' :)

Welcome Kneo -
1) Your budget
2) Music Preferances
3) Movie Preferances
4) Ht requirement ( More for music or movies?/)
5) Is tower speakers are OK or small speakers required?
6) You have any TV/LCD/Plasma? If you are looking for it ,it's requirements...does it's price included in your budget/
7) You have existing DVD player?
8) Any exisrting Home Theatre componant you want to upgrade?Like speakers?
9) You want to connect your PC /laptop to HT?
10) Your location in Mumbai? So that I can tell you sale offers - I normally track Vashi market and a lot o folk othe markets..

Great - Now is the time to post some intelligent answers to these questions !!!

In the last few days I was just scouring these forums to understand the various terminologies until i found the thread by venkatcr which was brilliant to say the least. Which prompted me to go through his other thread and posts and ended up with some info to at least start asking proper questions. I'd try and post a few of my requirements now,

1. Budget is around 40-60K - Cheaper the better. I know exactly what I can compromise and what I cannot. This is excluding the TV and would include a receiver + speakers (5.1). I really don't want 7.1 at all.

2. 70/30 in favor of Movies (mostly English movies with good sound/visual quality). I'd want the HT to be future proof. I'd want it to have a Blu-ray source in the future and would be keen to integrate it with a FullHD or HD ready plasma. My room is small so for me there'd be no discernible difference at 9 ft. betwee 720 and 1080.

3. I hate the boomy bass that my stupid Philips LX3600 HTiB has. I'd add a sub later and that too if I feel something is missing from my action scenes (U571 underwater explosions) !!

4. I'd not connect my PC but I'd be getting myself a WDTV (or somethign similar) later on and plugging it in. So multiple HDMI ins is definitely something I want in my receiver.

5. I'd have to get a decent DVD player.

Kneo, Since you have said budget is between 40 and 60k, i would take it as 60k.

AVR: Yamaha 663( 35k)
speakers: Energy take classic( 28k)

This combination is very good for your 70/30 movies music proportion. Kindly audition this.

later you can upgrade the front speakers with better book shelfs or FS. with 663 you can easuly upgrade to FS or good BS as they can drive these easily and you can put you front speaker to rear channels.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Kneo, Since you have said budget is between 40 and 60k, i would take it as 60k.

AVR: Yamaha 663( 35k)
speakers: Energy take classic( 28k)

This combination is very good for your 70/30 movies music proportion. Kindly audition this.

later you can upgrade the front speakers with better book shelfs or FS. with 663 you can easuly upgrade to FS or good BS as they can drive these easily and you can put you front speaker to rear channels.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hello prakash,
where do find Energy classic take 5.1 for 28K in Blore.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back