The REL Club

DB1989

As @insane79 pointed out, someone ought to get the ball rolling on a dedicated thread for all things REL since we seem to have a reasonable number of FMs who've got one or are enthusiasts for its subs.

To start out, I have a REL T9i. The sub does justice to their marketing and then some i.e. a sub for music. And she's a knockout. I have it placed in a less than optimal spot simply in order to ensure that it takes centerstage. Here's right after unboxing

IMG-20210429-WA0015.jpg

A much needed thread, i got my first Rel sub in 2018 & the second one in 2019. I got the Rel S2 subwoofer, which is the previous version of the S Series. I had the option to choose between the S2 & T9i but went for the S2 instead.

I paid more for it then the T9i though it was a discontinued model but from what i read online about the S2, i knew i wanted it.
So bought one in June 2018 & couldn't resist it & bought another one in 2019 which was the last unit the distributor had it stock.

Its a very compact & musical subwoofer, exactly what i wanted & with decent pump for movies too. the S2s are made in UK so the build quality is top notch but i m sure even the latest Rels are as good or better in build. Tbh i felt having only one S2 lacking abit in action movies as it has a 10" Active & 10" Passive driver just like the T9i. Once i added another in my setup, i am very happy with the output now even in action movies.

I am sure it is not room shaking LFE like the SVS duals would provide but i am getting old & so is my wife ;)
Now i am eyeing dual S510 for my setup, which i know would be a Terrific Upgrade:p

Cheers.
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-30 at 12.48.25 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Now i am eyeing dual S510 for my setup, which i know would be a Terrific Upgrade:p
have you considered the SX/212? That thing is a beaut and apparently achieves some bit of what the REL line arrays do i.e. bass height.

Maybe this will convince you:

I'm going dual too :) unless the lockdown gets extended, it should hopefully arrive by Monday

so who is the official offline dealer .... that 212/sx looks like a once in a lifetime purchase you can be happy with forever.

so who is the official offline dealer .... that 212/sx looks like a once in a lifetime purchase you can be happy with forever.
Avstore.in has it. Considering RELs offline prices, its worth inquiring about. Also, building up a 1508 line array is not an indistinct possibility considering the prices they are going for.

@Nitin K - you should consider it since a single sub or 3 subs stacked one upon the other occupy the same amount of space ;)

have you considered the SX/212? That thing is a beaut and apparently achieves some bit of what the REL line arrays do i.e. bass height.

Maybe this will convince you:

I'm going dual too :) unless the lockdown gets extended, it should hopefully arrive by Monday
Excellent choice going dual subs, you will love it as the bass is balanced around the room.

I am eyeing the S510 as an upgrade cause i will buy only one unit first & another one later (after 10-12 months).

This way its easier in the pocket & also wife will not loose her head lol. The beauty about the S510 is i can stack one over the other incase i want to change my Hi-Fi layout later on.

The SX212 has been there for a while & i expect a refresh soon.

Cheers.

Much better price - Nay, a steal deal. Time for REL dealers to pay me a commission for pushing their agenda.
DB, you sure deserve the commission from Rel for pushing their products.

Avstore.in has it. Considering RELs offline prices, its worth inquiring about. Also, building up a 1508 line array is not an indistinct possibility considering the prices they are going for.

@Nitin K - you should consider it since a single sub or 3 subs stacked one upon the other occupy the same amount of space ;)
That idea of yours could be quite dangerous for me especially exceeding the crossover limit of one sub where my better half is concerned & keeping finances in mind. :D
A single sub is more than adequate for the room with a lot of headroom to spare.

Great now we have a Rel thread. Dealers be like time for a price hike.
I remember that Thonet and Vander SW which was reviewed positively by one of the FMs had a price hike from 15K to 20K on Amazon. With hi-end goods, most the dealers must be lurking out here for market inputs!

Here is a short review of the T7i. REL's design goals and philosophy, especially with the T series is not for everyone. For example, the T7i is 6db down at a fairly high for a subwoofer 30hz. In practical terms, if you have floor Standers it's very likely that the mains have more frequency extension than the T7i. To call it a sub is a misnomer in this case, because it's not extending frequency response of the mains. Since there is not much output from the sub below 30hz, highly unlikely to activate room nodes or cause booming. The sub is also playing within the frequency range of the mains in my case, so there are no cross over integration issues. With the speaker level inputs, the bass enhancement is so subtle it's really easy to miss what REL is adding to the sound. So, what does it do to the sound? Male voices sound deeper. The sub seems to be restoring a large part of the ambient sound in the recording, as a result the sound stage is much better defined. The system sounds fuller. This sub can elevate mid-fi systems to another level.

REL has prioritised integration, speed and accuracy over extension and high output. Many folks looking for real authority in the stygian depths will be disappointed I suspect. The rewards are in refinement, seamless integration and top quality bass within the confines of the frequency envelope. If you are not into loud then this Sub is for you.

Personally, I would have liked a little more extension and a bit more authority in the mid 20s. Sub is currently placed away from room boundaries, I will experiment a bit by placing the sub in the corner.
On the subs extension, I am somewhat disappointed.

Owners of planar speakers who are worried if the sub will be fast enough can rest their minds, this is the sub to get. This sub is the perfect partner for tiny bookshelf speakers in small to medium spaces. Folks who are invested in tube amplification especially of the SET kind will definitely appreciate this. So yes, there is a reason why it's called an audiophile sub.

Very well put @Beast_of_burden , Your experience resonates mine.
I recently got a T5i to pair with Totem Rainmakers which is placed in a fairly small bedroom setup. Although I crave for a slight more extension at lower volume, but what ever it produces, produces with great clarity and articulation.
I was particularly not happy with the Totem's bass and was even looking to sell it, however, after adding this sub, the complete experience is elevated couple of notches above.
I am no bass-head and hence was more particular about speed, integration and bass quality which I am convinced that REL offers in abundance.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back