The saddest song

Analogous

Music can profoundly affect how we feel, or that musicians can seek to express their feelings at a certain time or about a certain topic through their work..
i am wondering what are the happiest and saddest songs among Indian languages and styles…

Pick up any KL Saigal song! No one did pathos like him. Then ‘Sham-e-Gham Ki Kasam’ from ‘Foot Path’ by Talat Mahmood (music by Khaiyyam) is such a heart-rendering song, both lyrics and music wise. Mubarak Begum’s ‘Kabhi Tanhaiyon Mein’ is best example of love scorned fury! If you are looking for the ultimate in despondency, listen to Rafi’s rendition of Sahir’s ‘Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaye To Kya Hai’ from Guru Dutt’s ‘Pyaasa’. (As I write this, u am also realising that there are so many shades to sadness!)

Oh well, so many more by Mukesh and later Kishore. Want something current? The Aashiqui 2 album can help anyone wallow for an hour in self-pity. 😊

Last edited:
Pick up any KL Saigal song! No one did pathos like him. Then ‘Sham-e-Gham Ki Kasam’ from ‘Foot Path’ by Talat Mahmood (music by Khaiyyam) is such a heart-rendering song, both lyrics and music wise. Mubarak Begum’s ‘Kabhi Tanhaiyon Mein’ is best example of love scorned fury! If you are looking for the ultimate in despondency, listen to Rafi’s rendition of Sahir’s ‘Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaye To Kya Hai’ from Guru Dutt’s ‘Pyaasa’. (As I write this, u am also realising that there are so many shades to sadness!)

Oh well, so many more by Mukesh and later Kishore. Want something current? The Aashiqui 2 album can help anyone wallow for an hour in self-pity. 😊
Wow! So many….
And the saddest of them all in your opinion?

I am not sure if it will be easy to pin point - the saddest song.
A few sad songs I can remember off the top of my hat - not in a sad mood today!

Nick Drake's Songs
Need your love so bad - Fleetwood Mac
Society - Eddie Vedder
Any other world - MIKA (Life in cartoon motion album)

Going into Bollywood - the list is massive - never ending list of great sad songs.

There are so many - they all talk to the soul.

Wow! So many….
it is like asking which is the best speaker or say a DAC.:)
Actually it is quite easy to pinpoint scores of Indian songs for pathos and many of these are from movies and accompany visuals from that movie to which we can correlate and probably shed rives of tears.

One I can immediately think of is 'Yeh Duniya Agar Milbhi Jaye to Kyaa Hai' from Pyaasa.....

My now 3-year old son has been exhibiting a unique trait since last year (perhaps even earlier but I discovered it last year aged 1.5). Whenever he listens to "sad sounding + slow tempo" music, he uncontrollably gets the weepy face and gets on the verge of crying.
The first time I observed this was when I played King Crimson Starlight. Since then, many songs - my realization is that it is not the lyrics (he hardly understands) but the pure music by itself which is sad / happy sounding.

My now 3-year old son has been exhibiting a unique trait since last year (perhaps even earlier but I discovered it last year aged 1.5). Whenever he listens to "sad sounding + slow tempo" music, he uncontrollably gets the weepy face and gets on the verge of crying.
The first time I observed this was when I played King Crimson Starlight. Since then, many songs - my realization is that it is not the lyrics (he hardly understands) but the pure music by itself which is sad / happy sounding.
Probably is an Empath.

I am loathe to compare among them and say which is the saddest. They aren't commodities, these are creative products. While all of them would feel you empathised during your sad periods, and are artistic enough to help your sublimate the sadness, each has different shades of sadness. Which one appeals more can be a function of person as well as time.

Same applies to the top 5 rankings in that article. All I can conclude is the ranking is based on what the writer/respondents felt subjectively at the time when they listened to those.

Agree on K L Saigal. And out of all the sad songs he sang, 'Jab Dil hi toot gaya' was the saddest.

Sham-e-Gham Ki Kasam and many songs by Talat and just not the song, the poetry just oozes out. The lines below just expresses the pain being felt by the singer. I view this song as a love song too.
अब तो आजा के अब रात भी सो गई
ज़िन्दगी ग़म के सहराओं में खो गई
ढूंढती है नज़र, तू कहाँ है मगर
देखते देखते आया आँखों में दम
शाम-ए-ग़म की कसम...
The Pyaasa songs (Jaane Woh Kaise and others), Waqt ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam sung by Geeta Dut in Kaagaz Ke Phool, Woh Subah Kabhi To Aayegi (Mukesh in Phir Subah Hogi). Songs from Mirza Ghalib, Yeh Kasi Ajab Dastan Ho Gayi (Suraiyya's last song), Lata's Mushkil Hai Bahut Mushkil from Mahal (1949) The lyrics, the music, composition and the singer and the synergy all went together to create something beautiful that I just can't find in current music.

Last edited:
These two tracks for me are probably among the saddest and they needs no lyrics.....

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back