The sound of silence

Analogous

There is a sense that we can't live in silence in general in our world, that now silence is almost intrusive. We don't, as a culture, want that silence. While it sometimes might be good having sounds all around us, but it can also be detrimental when we don't have any silences.

Even "low-level" noise is unhealthy: A neuroscientist explains how sound and health are connected and ambient noises around us can put us in a "constant state of alarm"​

It's sad how there has been a cultural shift in general, in this direction. Most people find silence unsettling or uncomfortable, and feel a need to fill in even short silences with talk, or music. These days, even fairly remote hills and forests have someone or the other blasting music to "enjoy" their outing. I can't understand how they deliberately and voluntarily destroy one of the best things about getting out into nature: The sounds of nature, and the lack of presence of human-made sounds. Also, if we go out in large-ish groups (even groups of 7 or 8), there'll always be someone nervously chattering away (in order to break the silence) when the rest of the group naturally stop talking to take in and enjoy the experience of being wherever we are. I've even come across some people who actually ask why nobody is talking or saying anything!

I thrive in silence and I actually NEED silence to think clearly, and to warm up at the beginning of the day, and wind down properly at the end of the day. When I say silence, it is not necessarily absolute lack of all sound, but merely the absence of artificial, human-created sound (including conversation). I sleep early (9.30PM) and wake up early, a bit after 5AM. Being single and staying by myself, I have the luxury of being able to enjoy absolute silence for the hour before I sleep (my phone and all other communication related electronics get put in silent mode, or switched off by 8.30-9). And the silence of the morning (and the sounds of that silence) is an experience that primes the mind and the lifts the spirit like nothing else!

I also believe that to truly enjoy music, (and really anything that connects with oneself on a spiritual level), one must appreciate silence.

This is very true. My mind can easily get agitated in the presence of disturbing sounds. I tend to live in slightly far off places from main streets.

Like all our other senses, hearing needs rest too.
Noise pollution is constant in all our urban areas.
It’s almost always man made/caused (lots of reasons, excuses, justifications etc)

Here is a slightly old, but still valuable paper on the issue from WHO: https://www.who.int/docstore/peh/noise/Comnoise-1.pdf

and this from Central Pollution control Board (MoEF, GoI):

AIR ACT
Under section 2(a) of Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 noise is defined as air pollutant
“Air pollutant" means any solid, liquid or gaseous substance [(including noise)] present in the atmosphere in such concentration as may be or tend to be injurious to human beings or other living creatures or plants or property or environment.”. Increasing ambient noise level in public places from various sources, inter-alia, industry activity, construction activity, generators sets, loud speakers, public address systems, music systems, vehicular horns and other mechanical devices have deleterious effects on human health and the psychological well being of the people. Therefore, it is considered necessary to regulate and control of noise producing and generating sources with the objective of maintaining the ambient air quality standards in respect of noise.

NOISE RULES
Central Government notified the Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000 as it is published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part-II –section 3(ii), vide S.O 123 (E) dated 14.2.2000. In reference to abovementioned rules following responsibilities are vested with State Governments, District Magistrate, Police Commissioner, or any other officer not below the rank of Deputy Superintendent of Police:
1. Enforcement of Noise Pollution control measures and the due compliance of ambient air quality standards in respect of noise.
2. Restriction on the use of Loud Speakers/Public Address system.
3. Restriction on the use of Horns, Sound emitting construction equipment and bursting of Fire crackers.
4. Prohibition of continuance Music Sound or Noise.
5. Authority shall act on the complaint and take action against the violator in accordance with the provisions of rules.
6. Disallowing sound producing instrument after 10 p.m to 6 a.m except in closed premises.
7. State Government may permit loud speakers or public address system in night hours
(between 10.00 p.m. to 12.00 midnight not exceeding 15 days in year.
Ambient Air Quality Standards in Respect of Noise is notified under Noise Pollution (Regulation and Control) Rules, 2000. Silence Zone is defined as areas up to 100 meters around such premises as hospitals, educational institutes and courts. The Silence Zones are to be declared by competent authority.

Last edited:
It's sad how there has been a cultural shift in general, in this direction. Most people find silence unsettling or uncomfortable, and feel a need to fill in even short silences with talk, or music. These days, even fairly remote hills and forests have someone or the other blasting music to "enjoy" their outing. I can't understand how they deliberately and voluntarily destroy one of the best things about getting out into nature: The sounds of nature, and the lack of presence of human-made sounds. Also, if we go out in large-ish groups (even groups of 7 or 8), there'll always be someone nervously chattering away (in order to break the silence) when the rest of the group naturally stop talking to take in and enjoy the experience of being wherever we are. I've even come across some people who actually ask why nobody is talking or saying anything!

I thrive in silence and I actually NEED silence to think clearly, and to warm up at the beginning of the day, and wind down properly at the end of the day. When I say silence, it is not necessarily absolute lack of all sound, but merely the absence of artificial, human-created sound (including conversation). I sleep early (9.30PM) and wake up early, a bit after 5AM. Being single and staying by myself, I have the luxury of being able to enjoy absolute silence for the hour before I sleep (my phone and all other communication related electronics get put in silent mode, or switched off by 8.30-9). And the silence of the morning (and the sounds of that silence) is an experience that primes the mind and the lifts the spirit like nothing else!

I also believe that to truly enjoy music, (and really anything that connects with oneself on a spiritual level), one must appreciate silence.
So aptly put.

If I read this correctly, the article is about noise pollution and not sound pollution. Some sound like a car honking when you unnoticed while crossing road would be important for your survival but will be noise for someone else sitting at home. My music will be noise for my neighbours. It's important to list down what is sound and what is noise and try eliminate the noise aspects not only for us but also for others. Many audio setups are noisy due to several factors in the audio chain which needs to be avoided.

..... the article is about noise pollution and not sound pollution. .....
sound pollution ?
- my understanding/opinion is that, both are the same. Any sound that becomes unpleasant /unbearable is noise or sound pollution.
its the definition of a threshold that a sound become a noise ( or the "unwanted part" of the sound ) , for example, the usual pleasant and heavenly voice of one's beloved is an unbearable noise during a favourite listening session .:rolleyes:.

Scientifically , the threshold may be a fixed value or some range in db, but in practice this is just based on ones temperament :D.

Then there is this human condition called misophonia – literally “hatred of sound” – in which noises most other people can barely hear can induce a deep irritation. This could be induced by Music playing faintly from someone’s earphones, the sound of chewing, pencil tapping, water dripping etc. It’s rare and little understood.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back