The speaker that does it all? Dynaudio? B&W? Spendor? Dali? Quad?

I recently bought Focus 220MKII after auditioning a whole lot of speakers including Spendors, Thiels, Quad, Focus, Dali.

I found them to have the right balance of detail and smoothness. Was verytempted by Thiels (CS 1.6/2.4 paired with Bel Canto amp) but they are way too revealing. To get the best out of them you need the best recording and other associated gear. Some of my decent CDs sounded harsh as the poor recording was laid bare.

Spendors were very smooth. Heard them with Sugden class A CD/Amp combo. Excellent for slow music and vocals. But they cant handle Metallica.

I auditioned Dynaudio with Plinius amps 8200/9200. They sounded amazing. power and control. Ended up picking it up..but cant afford the Plinius yet.

Apart from Plinius 9200, other amps I am considering are Krell 300IL, Musical Fidelity A5.5 and Densen. These Dynaudios are current hungry and need a strong amp to keep them at their best.

By the way its my third (front) speaker in my hifi journey.
As you can imagine, I have found all of them to be good upgrades. Started off with B&W 602 S3, then Monitor Audio R6 and now Dynaudios.
MA R6 retains its place in my HT setup. Dynaudios move to my study for pure HiFi.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

I suggest you aslo give the nad master series a shot. Though i've never heard the combo, but dynaudio does use a lot of nad amps whenever it enters the shows in europe. So nad might have a good synergy.
All the best.
Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back