The Syren

Re: New Listening Room

Thanks Santhosh and Manoj.

Santhosh - excellent advice about setting up the room first. I plan to do that and listen for a while so I can judge what problems crop up. The two I have listed are the ones I am already facing.

Thanks a lot for the invite. I will PM you about meeting up but it will take 3 weeks minimum since I'm a little swamped with work at present.

Hi All,

Regarding the fan I use a tower fan while listening to music these fans are silent and efficient with oscillation facility

One may wait to be able to afford one too! :indifferent14:

Damn... now you've reminded me about them, I want to buy my wife one! :p :D

Bluu

Santhosh has made some good suggestions. After visiting his place, give me a call and drop by my place. I picked up some Anutone boards recently and made them into panels( 4 X 2) and am in the process of installing them in my basement listening room. Praveen( who used to work at Anutone when I bought the boards) visited my place and suggested the most cost effective way of going about it, treating the reflection points. I also plan carpeting the room. I will post photos after I have done a bit more work. Bass traps are planned for later,if and as needed.

Cheers

Thanks GeorgeO, for the invitation! Allow me to ask you to share a dram or two with me when we meet.

Mukum - thanks for the link. The fan looks promising.

Listening Room

Congratulations for a grand plan for dedicated listening room for stereo set-up.

I am sure the wardrobe idea will end up as a flop.

If you will allow wardrobe in such a dynamic room, some more house hold items will creep in sooner then later and moreover the power of a dedicated room will drop considerably.

The fan blades should never be implemented, it will spoil the decor etc of the room, a/c is the way to air up. If the room will have only in-direct lights, nothing like it.

V.

I am soon to take possession of my new apartment and I have a room dedicated to my stereo setup. I had to come to a compromise with my wife about putting in wardrobes in order to have storage. I've been told that a perfectly square room is hell from an acoustics point of view so the wardrobes actually help.

I'm pretty certain that during peak summer, I will need some sort of cooling. What is the best option? Will an AC be any better? Will the external fan and compressor noise be intrusive? If I stick to using a fan, is there any treatment I can do to reduce the hum of both the fan's motor and the wind?

Update: The apartment is almost ready. I have decided to not install a wardrobe in the listening room. I will have curtains on windows (two small ones), a carpet on the floor, a bookcase (hopefully behind the speakers) and a bar cabinet in a corner.

Santhosh and George - Please let me know when it is viable for me to visit you both. Sundays only till March thanks to work. I promise not too take too much of your time.

GeorgeO and Santhosh - if you're reading this, I would like to be invited to your respective houses in the coming weeks. :lol:

I have moved into my new apartment and should have the stereo set up this weekend. Any time after that is good.

Cheers!
-A

GeorgeO and Santhosh - if you're reading this, I would like to be invited to your respective houses in the coming weeks. :lol:

I have moved into my new apartment and should have the stereo set up this weekend. Any time after that is good.

Cheers!
-A
Aayush,
You are welcome any weekend mate (except last Sunday of this month as I am away). Sooner the better as I will be putting up my Stereo setup and few other stuff for sale later today - working towards an upgrade :).

Last edited:
Quick note of thanks to mods for merging my ownership thread with my room acoustics thread. :clapping:

Cheers!

I'm late reader of this thread. Congrats for setting up exclusive room for stereo listening. i read somewhere in your posts about you owning a Zotac HTPC. I too have purchased the device recently and still on the exploration and experimenting stage. would you share your experience with zotac HTPC. I know this thread is not relevant to HTPC but I am sure you would not look into HTPC thread to share your experience.

Thanks!

I use my Zotac simply to play movies from a hard drive. Nothing fancy. I'm running Win7.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I use my Zotac simply to play movies from a hard drive. Nothing fancy. I'm running Win7.

Have you connected your Zotac to AVR Via HDMI for audio and video? I tried connecting Zotac to my Projector via AVR HDMI, the PQ was horrible. I checked all the settings but unable to enhance the PQ. I have trying to find solution for that. Now I'm thinking of connecting VGA cable for video and HDMI cable for audio.

Have you connected your Zotac to AVR Via HDMI for audio and video? I tried connecting Zotac to my Projector via AVR HDMI, the PQ was horrible. I checked all the settings but unable to enhance the PQ. I have trying to find solution for that. Now I'm thinking of connecting VGA cable for video and HDMI cable for audio.

My ancient AVR does not support HDMI so I run the video directly to the TV and run the audio via optical to the AVR.

The nVidia chip on the Zotac needs hardware codecs to perform at its best. Please look for Shark007's codec pack. Do not use software codecs like KLite etc and try.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back