The Syren

Thanks for the suggestion square_wave. I've already purchased the AA Primo Cento integrated (see post above) so I won't be going for the pre/power combo for now.

He was suggesting for the source rather than pre-pro / amp.

Since you have a PC as source it is best to get a good DAC. Either go with the option he suggested or get a DAC which supports USB input like the arcam rDAC (support asynchronous usb mode) which should sound sweet. Right now I am listening and it sounds rich with sweet vocals.

He was suggesting for the source rather than pre-pro / amp.

Get a DAC which supports USB input like the arcam rDAC (support asynchronous usb mode) which should sound sweet. Right now I am listening and it sounds rich with sweet vocals.

Thanks for the clarification. I am currently using the DAC in my Squeezebox. Will look at upgrading to a better DAC in a few months.

I thought you were just checking it out :)

Congratulations.

Thanks! I had it at my place for a weekend demo and fell in love.

Bluu,

Apparently, this is "Showcase your Audio/Video System here" thread.....and when you start a thread in this section...you are supposed to post pictures.....and luring fellow Hifi folks without showing pics is not good....okay...bottom line is post pictures of your setup bro:D

And as a fellow Metalhead....I was like "uh oh" when you said your favorite genre wouldn't bloom on your setup...

cheers!!
KVN

Haha! Good point Kevian, I'll definitely post some photos.

About my favorite genre not blooming on this setup - I personally believe that a lot of impact in metal music is almost physical in nature. You need to feel the music as much as hear it. I'm not talking about feeling it emotionally, rather, physically. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that metal has got to be loud. Face meltingly loud. Floor shakingly loud. Leather bound, primal, screaming like a Banshee LOUD.

Now, that is something which I think can only be reproduced authentically at a live concert. Therefore, I end up using my ATH-M50s at work to listen to all my metal (like a fix for a druggie) and then come home and kick back to listen to some milder, easier listening music on the Syrens.

That said, however, I listened to Nirvana's outstanding album Nevermind at pretty loud volume yesterday and when Dave Grohl goes all savage on Breed's opening riff, the reproduction of the music is solid, spot on and enjoyable. Would I head-bang to it though? No. That is something that needs much more SPL, attack and edge.

Do I want to build a stereo system that does well for metal? No. I much prefer the balance this system provides me. Plus, I have other family members to care about. My wife appreciates heavy metal but fatigue sets in pretty quickly. That is another reason why I ensconce myself in my headphones and let metal work its magic over me.

I've blathered a lot. Let me finish by giving an analogy that works for me: If you go to a Norah Jones concert and then come back and play her record on my system, you'll still enjoy it immensely. However, if you just survived a Lamb of God concert (were you there?) you CANNOT reproduce that feeling physically, at home.

Cheers!

....If you go to a Norah Jones concert and then come back and play her record on my system, you'll still enjoy it immensely. However, if you just survived a Lamb of God concert (were you there?) you CANNOT reproduce that feeling physically, at home.
Cheers!

Very good analogy......and thank you for mentioning AT headphone....I'd go blindly for it as a fellow metalhead is enjoying it:D

and regarding Metal on Syrens....do you think adding a nice musical sub woofer would give the metal punch we crave for?

btw...its Sunday:eek:hyeah:...for pics.

cheers!!

The ATs are awesome headphones at that price point and one of the best things about them is that they don't need amplification to perform well. In fact, Head-Fi has numerous threads talking about the M50s not performing that much better with amps.

The Syrens go very deep. The cabinet design is brilliant and it helps in providing excellent bass reproduction. So, I don't think adding a subwoofer will help at all. Changing the amp to something like a Stratos or Symphonic Line will probably help but those are expensive. Maybe I'll upgrade in a few years.

Just to be clear, its not that the punch is missing. It's just that I believe that we need to go pretty loud to enjoy metal properly. Doing that with good headphones is so much easier than trying to fill your living room with all the punch. Also, the Primo Cento amp is not designed for rock/metal. It's a much more mellow and softer sound and it does well with blues, vocals and classical.

You didn't answer my earlier question - did you attend the Lamb of God show in Bangalore? Chris Adler almost caused an earthquake.

I cannot wait for the Metallica show in Oct. Surely you must attend that!

Oh! I am sorry....I didn't attend LOG concert..laid to rest is my fav:licklips:..you bongulurians:lol: are lucky that every band hits your city.....my city..well less said the better....everybody here loves ghazals and all..which puts me to sleep......but I got something else going on in my life...so no leisure time even if my city hosts Metal concerts by accident..lol

cheers!!

After a long delay, here is a pic of the setup. Many thanks to Kittu for the snap. The black speakers in the pic are his Mission M34is while the red ones are the Syrens.

Also visible are my Cambridge Audio Gigaworks, Denon AVR, Primo Cento, Zotac HTPC and my Bravia.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

God no. Those are just some funky artifacts in the photo. Or some weird shadows. He is a human abuser :)

How Angelic Scooter Looks!!! Bet he is quite the wolf in sheep's clothing :D
Case in point (his audiophile taste in chewies!!!) :rolleyes:
BTW hope you've fixed the chewed up wiring courtesy Scooter ;)

How Angelic Scooter Looks!!! Bet he is quite the wolf in sheep's clothing :D
Case in point (his audiophile taste in chewies!!!) :rolleyes:
BTW hope you've fixed the chewed up wiring courtesy Scooter ;)

Thanks D!

Yeah, thanks to some friends who are good with tools and soldering irons, all the wiring is now up and running. In fact, with the IPL drawing to a close, a lot more of my time is being spent with the stereo. Let me know if you make any fresh plans to visit Bangalore.

Time for an update!

I forgot to take photos but thats OK, I guess. I have finally installed the brass spikes that Ali (magma) made for me. First off, I want to applaud the excellent work he is doing. Just to illustrate this point, I wanted black spikes since I have red (think Ferrari) speakers. Brass spikes would have looked too jingbang while the steel spikes are brighter sounding. So, instead of painting them black or applying a powdercoat, both of which would have moved away from the sound signature of brass but would have been MUCH easier to achieve, Ali specifically had my spikes sit in a chemical bath (I don't have details) for 24 hours to turn them black natively. The result is pretty spectacular! Now, that is commitment to quality which can only come from outright passion. Many thanks for the effort Ali!

After installing the spikes, the boom in the bass has reduced considerably. I suppose my neighbors are happier as well! I used BluTack as adhesive for the spikes since the speakers don't have any provisions for spiking. Thanks hydra for the tip! If anyone doesn't know this, BluTack is a brilliant re-usable adhesive. It's available at Commercial St for Rs 150/- per pack.

So, spikes + blutack = tighter and more tactile bass!
Cheers!

Hey Bluu,

Many congratulations on the speakers! It looks like it weighs a ton.

You might want to try playing some Tool and A Perfect Circle on your system. It should sound really well in your system, especially because the music is heavily multi-layered and very well recorded.

Thanks Arun!

It is pretty heavy considering it's size :)

Thanks also for the recommendations. I've never heard A Perfect Circle so will definitely try it out.

Cheers!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back