The Vintage Turntable Ambassador !

M

mpw

Well - many of you would remember the big car, British designed and built in Kolkata, India.

The car seemed to defy the results of the wind tunnel :eek: !

The manufacturer stopped production a few years ago as more modern cars were produced and people started "ün-liking" this classic though it had started offering variants like a more powerful engine , a better gearbox and air conditioning and power steering.

Well - some people liked it so much they put a red cherry on top of it !!!

It was also known for its ruggedness, cheap availability of parts, very very comfortable back seat and customization possibilities.

For these attributes... it has a large fan following (myself included ) and many of us might remember long rides on this car which was utterly strain free and comfortable.

Modified-HM-Ambassador-6-600x398.jpg

I got myself an equivalent of the Ambassador and this is a turntable which shares many trains described above... except that it traces its origin to Switzerland..

Welcome the Lenco L75...

i had to choose a starting point and the end point as well and i was lucky to come across a fellow FM's Lenco plinth which he was not using. I also got myself a not much used Nagaoka MP30 cartridge and a not much used Linn Basik LVX tonearm as well.

7AWS7F4h.jpg

Cuivseqh.jpg

WG4YMFsh.jpg

with these the end points were defined

a. On a budget - make the best TT that i can make.

This need not be the best sounding in the world but good enough to satisfy me.

b. I realize - what attracts me to the L75 is the possibility to build a wooden plinth ( nice and heavy ) and the possibility of a visual appeal which will enhance the sonic experience.

c. Gain experience in this first build so that when i have some more disposable funds, i can think about playing with the possibility of upgrading further soundwise and maybe make a totally new plinth.

I do have access to woodworking workshops.

Other mechanical stuff - i can manage

Finishing - thats one thing i will need to look into a plan suitably.

I will be going slowly - as much as my time permits me. I am in no hurry and sometimes this thread may remain dormant.

From those of you who have been down this path before - constructive suggestions and assistance is more than welcome and will make my journey more efficient in terms of time.

And I kept on wondering when the Ambassador will turn into a turntable:D
All the best for your new venture mpw

Thanks all...

It will take a bit of tome to materialize as DiY or semi DiY is always something that happens in between work.

last week was busy so made ZERO progress but i do have some more pics for the reader.

The idea of logging these pics on this forum is that i could not locate a similar thread with pictures on the L75.

Many things are a mystery to many people about the L75 but my attempt is to de-mystify and tell you that the L75 is a great TT because it is simple.

Should you come across a lenco L75 and want to spend your energy on it - i think you must consider it.

In those days - materials technology like carbon fiber or composites were not available and so this turntable was built ( like many others in its time ) with what technology was common and ofcourse to a price point.

So view it kindly and with that prism.

WnHE3dph.jpgUZJxXnDh.jpgwtk76Lth.jpg42Y6Zjth.jpg

It doesnt call for many tools to work with and appears simple to work on - provided you keep a cool head and caring hands.

just put the Lenco on the plinth to see how it looks like ..

Curious George :D

the plinth ( dark brown color ) is quite heavy.

The original plinth has been dismantled by me and stored away.YrTn2nHh.jpgxdREIIxh.jpg

A good read of post no 1 will tell you why your waiting will be futile ;)

Welcome to wait if there is nothing better... :)

:) nice one
I experienced the same wait....got the L75, worked with it, got some good results....then quickly realized that I needed to upgrade to a Royce, not because it is a better car but its because I am typically Indian and always seem to want more.....and then came the Royce, the 301, and it stayed :)

turns out my Lenco L75 has the 60Hz motor

i explored a few options and then decided to swap my 60Hz motor with a Lencoheaven FM in Europe who wants a 60Hz motor

a straight swap and only the courier charges to be borne by each party.

L7560hzmotor.jpg

regards
mpw

just to update ..

i did get the 50 Hz motor from lencoheaven FM in Holland.

I am temporarily shelving this project due to :- ( equal reasons )

a. present turntable chain is sounding excellent.

Why rock the boat ?

b. No time - with work at hand and travel as well. Am not able to get the time to concentrate and get stuff done.

Maybe a few months down the line, if i feel like it - i might restart this venture.

I will need a week or 2 at it.

Maybe in the rainy season when there is less work - i can play with the Lenco.

Thanks to all who helped and responded.

regards
mpw

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back