The Wonder Add-on. The Behringer DEQ2496

arj - you really must try the Behringer as a DAC and see what you make of it. I am curious as to what you will make of it. I have also heard that the AES/SBU ins and outs are of better quality than the optical ones. Not sure how much of that is true though.

Rajiv - glad you liked it. I think you will be in a great position to see what sort of improvements are there in the setup after room equalization.

anm - updating the signature, that is one thing I need to do :). Anyway for now, the source is my HTPC (Xonar D2X) Digital out -> Behringer DEQ2496 Analog out -> Lyrita 2A3C SET -> Lyrita Harmony One speakers.

I have been wanting to do that..problem is I dont have an XLR to Coax converter pair as my amp does not have balanced inputs !

BTW, hope you have read this article..it talks about possible mods to bring it to almost reference DAC capability
Ultracurve

Hi Mahiruha,

Filling the boxes with sand and/or adding a granite slab will ceratinly help tame the muddy bass.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,
thanks for the encouragement to go with the sand and granite plan. I was not into too much bass heavy tracks but I recently got Hotel California and Private Investigations vinyl and the muddy bass problem became a bit pronounced. Its high time for me to translate the thoughts into action to improve the bass.:)
Thanks.

this is my experience too for almost all transports ..try to simulate an infinite Mass (Granite) to the best extent you can and then a small bit of Isolation (Sand/Half Filled Bicycle tube etc)

I am constantly amazed at the conditional comparison of products as simple as cables. A cable has simple enough job and that is to carry data from one end to another with the least amount of distortion and resistance.

On nearly a daily basis I keep switching between speaker cables and ICs, and this is done on reasonable systems such as Primare, Creek, Dynaudio, Martin Logan, etc. As I said before in another thread, you do have to use a set of systems as reference, change just one part, and 'hear' what difference it makes. If what you hear sounds better with the change, it is only natural that you judge that product to be better. Yes, the defeated product may sound better on a specific system, but in that case, I would recommend the manufacturer clearly state the conditions under which it must be used.

In speaker cables and ICs we may have to concede that brand name and price may not have too much value. I have yet to discern more that 3 or 4% of 'perceivable' difference between a cable that costs 90 Rupees a meter and one that sells in five or six figures. And, surprisingly, in many cases I have heard the cheaper cables beat the expensive ones by a few yards. Ultimately we have to ask ourselves, is it worth the difference? Unfortunately for me, whenever I have challenged some people to explain to me what difference they hear, the stock answer is that it is a personal opinion. Can you not explain it? I certainly can and to back up what I say, I can always play back the same number and pinpoint exactly where I hear the difference. And mind you, I do this not using what I consider vague terms such as lushness, body, etc. It is always something as simple as hearing an instrument with more clarity, hearing an instrument that was not there at all, or a tone in the voice that is clearly discernible. In my mind if I cannot hear these easily explainable differences, the two products are broadly on par with each other.

In something as simple as the movement of electricity across a cable, personal opinions, in my opinion, should not have much value. After all we can measure the transmission can we not? Over this simple provable concept, if you think you can hear something a few others cannot, what is there to say? Maybe I am going deaf !!

And to Arj and all members, this post of mine was more loud thinking than anything else. It is more a reassurance from me to myself that my thought processes are correct. I have quoted Arj's post as it just acted as a trigger.

Cheers

I do not know what explanations you are looking for but I have heard systems evolving to completely different animals with different cable configurations. There are various terminologies but it can get boring for people who are not into it.

Anyways this is not a cable thread hence I digress.

I have been wanting to do that..problem is I dont have an XLR to Coax converter pair as my amp does not have balanced inputs !

BTW, hope you have read this article..it talks about possible mods to bring it to almost reference DAC capability
Ultracurve

Yes, arj. Even though I think the subject of attention there is the SRC2486, I think, the same applies to the DEQ unit as well.

Right now I am happy with the quality out of the DEQ. But this is always there. There are also other very well fleshed out capacitor changes and op amp changes, even DAC chip changes prescribed at places like diyaudio. So, worst case, I could take a print out of these and take it to an expert to get it done :).

Reviving an old thread !

I am planning to buy Behringer DEQ 2496. I have never heard it and it is going to be a blind buy and entirely based on REW readings that I have been getting when I was 'forced' to move my subs to less than ideal position.

I have been reading about it and the power supply section seems to be a problem in this equipment. The unit itself has been reported to be not very well shielded. Some users have reported that it runs very hot and has a short life.
Can any of the long time users comment on these points ?

(I have tried Lyngdorf which was an absolute bliss to hear but unfortunately I could not keep it. I have not heard DSPeaker Antimode and due to its cost I am not considering it.)

It's a nice unit.. be prepated to use balanced cables or optical. I did not notice any heat issues although i used it as an offline measuring tool .

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back