There is more to bias and noise reduction than just insulation

Analogous

I remember buying my “mid level car” after having owned a “luxury” car. The first thing I noticed was how noisy it was. I could hear more of the traffic sounds, engine noise, the tyre noise etc. The quality of silence or sound proofing is one of the least appreciated aspects of a well built car. I suppose this is true for any well designed auditorium, recording studio or music listening room or home theatre.

But we all know our state of mind also influences the experience of music or performance. A lot of psychological factors play a part in this.
The term Noise is applied in a much broader sense by Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize-winning psychologist who has worked several decades to deepen our understanding of human behavior. Kahneman is back with a new book that will again have you questioning what you thought you knew about making decisions. Noise, coauthored with Olivier Sibony and Cass Sunstein, covers another way we make systematic errors in decision-making—in the variability of our aggregated judgements.

Kahneman and co argue that it’s time we pay more attention to noise. And that’s because reducing noise in a system can help reduce error, just like reducing bias does. There is no direct reference to audio or music but, this, in my opinion is relevant to the ways we form opinions, judge and make decisions on music and audio as well as everything else in our lives. Have a read, you may find it interestin.

Here is the interview with Dan Kahneman:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back