Thickness of speaker cables

Yeah i am pairing it with kef r3 and marantz 6012, speaker are power hungry tried bi amp with diff cable and improvement was big, so rocket 44 can help in that or biwire with thicker gauge.

Just want to know. Is thicker version means better sound quality?
@Maxprocj
12 AWG will be good.
You may try bare wire (if your components can take them) otherwise lugs or plugs.
I am using Finolex electrical wire (36/0.3, 2.5 sq.mm); roughly 13~14 AWG
Cheap and real complaints.
Cheers,
Raghu

still quality matters, i am no electrical engg but diff cable sound diff not very big diff but still we can make it out, like i have used clearway klotz and audioquest,
If i compre rocket 22 and klotz both are 12awg, klotz have more strands but sound wise rocket 22 is way superior, i did A B comparison and definetly me and few of my friends could hear more volume and details out of rocket22.
Clearway is way somewhat closer to audioquest but lacked the bass 22 provided may be that is bcz of its thicker gauge.

And yes in most of the case 12awg is sufficient and needed, specially in low impedance speaker, heard big diff in my emit 20 and kef r3 with 12 awg cable.

1 more thing i like to point out, don't know it me or someone else have heard the diff that bare wire sound much better than with plugs.

I agree to the above information, just adding some corner case observations:
  • Thicker wires work better with less efficient speakers and powerful amps
  • Bi-wiring (and bi-amping) works well with the above combination
  • Thinner wires provide better bass with highly efficient speakers and tube power amps
  • Silver wires have more details (more treble, thinner bass)
You should try a few speaker cable options every time you change the speakers or amps, to select whatever sounds the best. Some amps are more sensitive to output impedance than others. Speaker cable is the final fine tuning tool.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back