Thinking about starting a small Vinyl to Digital conversion service. Thoughts?

I could upload a sample disc, but I think this might be needing approval from the moderators. I just went over the forum rules to make sure and I think it might actually violate one of the rules.

Maybe I can upload one song for everyone to hear...that should keep it ok I think, but again, I would run it by the mods to make sure. At this point, this isn't a commercial service or anything. It is just a feeler and something that might come to bear fruit provided there is an interest in such a service.

I could upload a sample disc, but I think this might be needing approval from the moderators. I just went over the forum rules to make sure and I think it might actually violate one of the rules.

Maybe I can upload one song for everyone to hear...that should keep it ok I think, but again, I would run it by the mods to make sure. At this point, this isn't a commercial service or anything. It is just a feeler and something that might come to bear fruit provided there is an interest in such a service.

Just to refresh your memory!

The Forum Rules clearly states that:

You are not allowed to conduct any discussion whatsoever soliciting or exchange of illegal and/or copyright material of any nature including ebooks, music, movies, software programes, etc.

Just to refresh your memory!

The Forum Rules clearly states that:

Clearly...

There is no real need to refresh my memory here.

I already stated in my post that this is something I read in the forum rules and it would be violated if I posted something like that. If you read the post, I already mentioned that it would be something that would need approval by the mods.

Thanks for stating the obvious. :rolleyes:

Also, a little courtesy in your response wouldn't have broken my heart...terribly.

~Gaurav

I've uploaded some lossless wav files. Both are the first tracks of of Jazz At The Pawnshop. One is the XRCD version. The other is the vinyl rip that I created from a German pressed LP.

You have to start the XRCD track 40 seconds later. That is when it matches the Vinyl version regarding the starting point.

For links email me (No spaces. Replace DOT with a . and AT with @):
vij DOT gaurav AT gmail.com

My only request is that you post your HONEST and unbiased opinion on the track comparison. If you have the system, the differences only become much more magnified.

Also, please note that I have actually DOWNSAMPLED the Vinyl track to 16bit, 44.1Khz. I plan to keep vinyl transfers at a minimum of 24bit-96Khz and if needed, even 24bit, 192Khz.

NO COMPUTERS WERE USED to make the recording ;)

Visit for laser Turntable.......may help in restoration process.....

ELP Laser Turntable: Plays Vinyl Records without a Needle

Thanks for the link. I've known about that ELP turntable for a while. It is pretty cool technology, but it simply does not offer the intimacy and art involved in the PHYSICAL contact of a stylus with the record. There is RANDOMNESS and a sense of REALNESS that is lost as soon as digital is introduced. IMHO, the ELP Turntable is definitely not me and it lost me as soon as it boasted its supposed strength....Lasers = Filters, NON-Randomness and sampling rates. The worst of the digital ruining the best of the analog.

I was hoping for some more discussion here....so just bumping this thread.

Some of you have some experience now with vinyl and digital and I was hoping you could chime in about the comparison and differences you heard.

Hai Shaizada,

I have converted many vinyls to CDs, with my minimum hardware, the sound many a times beats the CDs. But what I have observed is that the mids are a bit enhanced in the conversion, may be due to my sound card.

N.Murali

I was hoping for some more discussion here....so just bumping this thread.

Some of you have some experience now with vinyl and digital and I was hoping you could chime in about the comparison and differences you heard.

First of all, apologies to Shaizada for a long overdue review. And thanks to him for 'loaning' me 3 different recordings of the LimeHouse Blues:

1. XRCD recording at standard (44.1 KHz, 16 bit) audio
2. Vinyl sampled at standard audio (recorded from LP into Redbook format)
3. Vinyl sampled at 24 bit, 96 Khz

I had promised to write up a review late last December but paper deadlines, end of semester and now new work imposed deadlines have all prevented me from completing aforesaid promise. I finally have time to do a brief writeup, which I will keep adding to during the week, as time permits.

The goal of these tests was to find out if the same song, recorded on CD and ripped from vinyl at exactly the same resolution (Redbook Audio standard) can sound different on a 'good enough' system. My current financial situation (student status) leaves me only enough money for food and books, so audio has to be enjoyed at the homes of 'generous' good friends. One of these friends has a system I helped set up:
A Marantz PM7001 integrated connected to Wharfedale 9.5 music being supplied from HTPC, connected via usb to an EMU 0404. The combination is on the warmer side of neutral but has all the detail that we need for our tastes.

I normally like to listen to a song for a long while so that I can get used to it, before critically analysing it. However, time pressures prevented this from happening for this song, so my impressions are more subjective than I would have liked. In addition, Limehouse is a very complex, intricate recording, swinging from softer passages into fast rhythms suddenly and it takes (my) mind some time to memorise the subtle flow of music. If someone wants to do listening comparisons, I suggest starting out with some simpler music first and then easing into this song. Anyway, onto the test:

A. XRCD vs. Vinyl at standard audio rate (1 vs 2)
The first impression of the XRCD was that it was brighter than the Vinyl. The drums, snare and high hats all had more bite though not more detail. When I listened to the complete song, once on XRCD and then on Vinyl, the XRCD seemed to jump out at me. The Vinyl recording, on the other hand, was a little more laid back, with less emphasis on individual instruments, and with the sound more balanced. Note that all the words I use to describe the sound are subjective (since there were no measurements involved) and were the impressions that stayed with me after several listenings, switching between the two files.
Another place where vinyl was more listenable was a section from 3:40 to around 4:30. This piece contains a lot of high hat audio. The XRCD was a little more 'splashy', the sound was more of a continuum, than individual hits. The Vinyl recording showcased each individual hit, and a small section where triple hits were being made (I'm not a drummer so my description is not technically sound, but I hope you get the picture...the hit is the stick delicately hitting the 'hats). And that's the word I'm looking for - delicate. The vinyl made the high frequencies in the music sound much less fatiguing, more refined and detailed. The mids were the same, the base also almost the same. The treble section was where I noticed the most difference. The vinyl recording was just more easy to listen to. That's the most succinct way to sum up all the above differences.

So which would I prefer to listen to? The vinyl, by a small margin. The reason for the 'small margin' is because of this interesting phenomenon I noticed when I fine-tuned my listening sessions.

Here's how that goes. I know my own mind and I know that it starts to drift off (stops critically listening) after about 4-5 minutes or so. It then starts enjoying the music and the foot tapping starts. If I have to be critically alert, a 4-5 minute music mind buffer is the best I can remember. In other words, I can objectively compare two different pieces of music in minute detail if I listen to ~4 minutes duration of each. Then mind effects start to play memory tricks and I can no longer trust my own 'ears'. I'm sure all of us have this threshold where the critical listening starts dropping one. For seasoned listeners, I'm sure the threshold is much longer. Anyway, mine is around 4 mins.

So I switched between the two files, listening to ~4 minutes from each, same section, and comparing the sound. And a funny thing happened. When i heard the songs section by section, the differences between the two versions was marginal. It was as if my brain was compensating for the differences it was hearing. But when I heard the whole song (~10 minutes), I could make out the difference between the two versions, even in a blind comparison. It's as if my brain needs time to get used to the 'sound' of each, and if I switch between the two rapidly, the subtle patterns are lost.

For example, there was this chiming instrument sequence (don't know name) around the 2:30 time mark. When I heard the XRCD, this was overly forward and bright, compared to Vinyl. But when I heard the two sections rapidly, the difference was less pronounced. I'm not sure of the reasons why, just putting down what I heard.

B. Hi Rez vs Standard Audio (3 vs 1 and 3 vs 2)
No comparison. The Hi Rez wins hands down. Each sound is more detailed, without being brighter. The cymbals, wind instruments, everything is more musical, more 'open' and more detailed, at the same time. The highs were more detailed, more separated, each instrument note was more spread out, the envelope was bigger. Comparison with XRCD and Vinyl standard is the same. No need for further testing. I could make out the 24 bit version with my eyes closed (which I did anyway during the listening test) ;-)

Another interesting thing I noticed was that the higher resolution also emphasized the slight hiss and added crackle-pop from the vinyl recording. When I revisited the standard vinyl, this was also there but was not as prominent as in the 24-bit version. It did not interfere with the music, but I was aware of it's presence more in the high-rez vinyl. The XRCD background, by contrast, was blacker.

I also played all 3 versions on another friend's system: a modest desktop setup comprising a pair of CA s30s connected to a vintage Pioneer SX-650 receiver. Here the distinction between XRCD and Vinyl standard was indiscernible. I honestly couldn't have made them out in a blind test. The difference between HiRez and the others was slightly more. I could make it out if listening to it over a major portion of the song.

Conclusions
So what have I gathered during this experience?
1. Vinyl and XRCD do sound different for the recording I tested. Not by a huge, obvious margin on the system I tested (which is a budget system, in my view). It is possible that more detail will be noticed on a more resolving system.

2. Which do I prefer? Well, this is frankly a matter of taste and listening habits. I like the vinyl sound more for this particular song and recording. It could be the XRCD was not as well recorded as the Vinyl pressing was. It could be that on a rock album (Pink Floyd or Def Leppard), the brighter sound of XRCD may be more appealing for some folk. I don't know the answer in general. What I do realise is that if one is used to the CD sound, the vinyl sound (or at least the digital version of it) will at first sound less detailed and less bright. But on closer listening, you can make out that it is emphasizing the same detail differently. In a more balanced way, for the recording that I heard. So finally, it really is a matter of taste and individual preference what you finally choose.

3. The 24 bit version is the best. But the fair test would be to test out a 24 bit version of say DVD-A with the 24 bit vinyl and see the differences. There is a Chesky recodring of Limehouse Blues in 5.1 surround format. I think the same disk also has a stereo version in 24-bit, 96 Khz. Once I get a hold of that, I will try and compare the two versions and update this review.

Thanks again to Shaizada for giving me the chance to listen to some high-quality recordings and an enjoyable musical experience.

regards,
Ajinkya.

Last edited:
Ajinkya,

Thank you for such a detailed and beautifully revealing review. I have to say that your thoughts really do mirror mine on the matter. Also, I haven't YET come across an XRCD or Audiophile CD that can sound better than a vinyl rip of the same material (the way I make the rips). I have TONS of XRCDs and they are excellent. But the high resolution vinyl rips are just something else.

I would store all my "must have" and critical recordings the 24bit/96kHz format. Hard disk space is relatively very cheap these days and it is very easy to keep all the vinyl transfers at the higher resolution.

As the system scales up, one can replay those files and enjoy the subtleties that are hidden/masked with the lower resolution recordings.

I personally feel recordings should sound natural and real. There are hardly any CDs that I know of that do this. Only recently, the closest thing I have heard to vinyl are the SACD's from Analogue Productions. That Jazz is absolutely wonderful and the most non-digital thing I have heard from the digital world.

In the end, vinyl done properly is king. There is a realness and ease to the sound that all the digital gear I have tried in my lifetime has failed to deliver (audio-engr, I know you're going to not totally agree to this assessment, but even the DP-800 and DC-801 that I had on extended loan in my system didn't pull off that feeling. It was awfully close, but vinyl still came out ahead).

Gentleman, start seriously getting into vinyl. It makes life that much more beautiful and enjoyable to live ;)

If you can't get into vinyl right now, the next best thing is the rips I make. Get in touch with me if you like.

Ajinkya,

Thank you for such a detailed and beautifully revealing review. I have to say that your thoughts really do mirror mine on the matter. Also, I haven't YET come across an XRCD or Audiophile CD that can sound better than a vinyl rip of the same material (the way I make the rips). I have TONS of XRCDs and they are excellent. But the high resolution vinyl rips are just something else.

I would store all my "must have" and critical recordings the 24bit/96kHz format. Hard disk space is relatively very cheap these days and it is very easy to keep all the vinyl transfers at the higher resolution.

As the system scales up, one can replay those files and enjoy the subtleties that are hidden/masked with the lower resolution recordings.

I personally feel recordings should sound natural and real. There are hardly any CDs that I know of that do this. Only recently, the closest thing I have heard to vinyl are the SACD's from Analogue Productions. That Jazz is absolutely wonderful and the most non-digital thing I have heard from the digital world.

In the end, vinyl done properly is king. There is a realness and ease to the sound that all the digital gear I have tried in my lifetime has failed to deliver (audio-engr, I know you're going to not totally agree to this assessment, but even the DP-800 and DC-801 that I had on extended loan in my system didn't pull off that feeling. It was awfully close, but vinyl still came out ahead).

Gentleman, start seriously getting into vinyl. It makes life that much more beautiful and enjoyable to live ;)

If you can't get into vinyl right now, the next best thing is the rips I make. Get in touch with me if you like.

+1 to that!

Hi Ajinkya,
that's a very nice writeup. Actually my finds are quite similar to this when I played around with different formats and Vinyl is a clear winner at least in my set up. Could you please ealborate a bit more how did you play 24bit/96Khz music. I mean to say did you burn dvd or played directlt from your computer using the dac of your sound card.
Thanks.

Could you please ealborate a bit more how did you play 24bit/96Khz music. I mean to say did you burn dvd or played directlt from your computer using the dac of your sound card.
Thanks.

Mahiruha,
I was given a 24 bit, 96 KHz file, which contained the Hi res vinyl recording. The EMU 0404 USB is capable of playing back this format, either through SPDIF or USB, connected to the HTPC. This was how the playback was achieved.

-Ajinkya.

Hi Guys,

Pardon my non-technical lingo here.

I discovered a very old collection (my Dad's) of Vinyls, close to 100. Most are the big guys, some of small diameter. Remember listening to those as a kid .... am talking of the early 1972s (was in Class 2 then) ... the earliest I can recollect...

Would love to transfer the vinyl contents to CD. Space restriction is stopping me to venture into getting hold of a TT. Dad had an HMV TT (1967 make) which no longer is usable. The vinyls are however in quite satisfactory shape.

I would love to relive the old times again. I am based in New Delhi and am seeking help from you guys, as to who I could approach for this work.

Thanks
Ashok

Ajinkya- That was a beautiful write-up that conveyed the essence of Vinyls Vs XRCD Vs Cds.

Shaizada- Thanks for giving me the chance to listen to some phenomenal Black Sabbath Vinyl Castle records / XRCD

Vinyl experience- I must say that there is an airy feeling in the music as if the entire spectrum is complete. At first you may find that the detail is less but later how you will realize that it is a different way of representation of the music. The music is alive and one.

XRCD experience- The XRCD sound was brighter cleaner, leaner and sparkles all the way thru. But I felt lack in the bass extension. In the above comparison at least for me I was able to clearly distinguish that this medium is digital recorded.

Conclusion:

So again it all boils down to individual taste and listening habits. With Vinyl one thing I can say with surety is that there is no dearth of something missing in the musical spectrum. You can lay rest your apprehension of fear about improving speakers or DAC as the music is rich, wholesome and complete.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Ajinkya,

I haven't YET come across an XRCD or Audiophile CD that can sound better than a vinyl rip of the same material (the way I make the rips). I have TONS of XRCDs and they are excellent. But the high resolution vinyl rips are just something else.

Gentleman, start seriously getting into vinyl.

Hi Shaizada,

I trust in your experience and hearing if you found the XRCD recordings lacking in something that the vinyl had. My question is not whether the difference is there but why so. From my understanding of CD (and XRCD) dynamic range, on paper it is more than vinyl, and so is the headroom. Is it something in the recording process itself, or is it that recording engineers invest more into a vinyl recording than the digital one? Curious to know from you or someone who has first-hand experience with audio recording industry.

I would like to get into vinyl at some point in the future but the two major obstacles are budget and availability. For a budget-level music lover like me, vinyl is just too expensive compared to a CD. Each of the new vinyls I see go for $20 upwards, which is completely out of my budget right now and probably will be for quite some time in the future.

The other issue is the number of artists that are there on vinyl. Based on one's music tastes, it may be that vinyl really has nothing in choice compared to the variety of CD. If one listens to classical, jazz, old school rock, maybe Indian classical then vinyl has plenty to offer. But many of my friends listen to Hindi music, new pop tracks and the like. These are much easier/faster to get on digital media. Hence, the attraction to vinyl becomes less.

I'll take you up on your offer for vinyl rips sometime in the future, if I have any cash left over to afford such a collection ;) But I'll keep a lookout for vinyl LPs, in case I come across a recording in good shape, for cheap.

Thanks,
Ajinkya.

Hi Ajinkya,

I have an answer for you but it's going to take me sometime to formulate my thoughts and present a good answer. I have some things I need to tend to in the next few days. Let me get those taken care of and I will answer this question of yours with what I know and understand.

Tune in later :)

Thanks!
~Gaurav

Hai Shaizada,

I have converted many vinyls to CDs, with my minimum hardware, the sound many a times beats the CDs. But what I have observed is that the mids are a bit enhanced in the conversion, may be due to my sound card.

N.Murali

@murali: To digress...
Since you mentioned PC sound cards - here's another weirdness I once noticed... from my PC's DVD drive, ripped an audio CD to WAV files, then used the WAV files to burn another CD. Now if I compared the SQ of the WAV files played individually, and the burned CD played in the same DVD drive, the CD sounded better!

Couldn't grasp why. I was using the same software (KMplayer) to play the WAV and the burned CD. My sound card (Xonar DX) was set for SPDIF passthrough, so my AVR (set for stereo direct-path, optical interconnect) was doing the decoding in both cases. And my DVD drive is SATA, so there's no audio cable from drive to sound card. The signals for both sources are traversing (ostensibly) the same path.

Still, the burned CD sounded tighter & more defined and the WAV file sounded fuzzier & kind of more diffused...

Also the original CD and the burned CD sounded (to my untrained ears) identical when played in my DVD player, through the same AVR.

For all I know, it may've been a Windows XP thing; I've heard that Win7 and Vista do actual SPDIF passthrough, while XP preprocesses everything.

Or it may just have been all the beer...

I'm guessing you were hearing the kmixer driver doing some processing. Bits are bits unless some manipulation is happening.

Or could just be the beer! What were you drinking? ;)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back