Thinking of buying Emo UMC-1 & UPA-7 or Denon 3311, please help

amit

Hello all,

Was holding on to Denon 2106 for quite some time and now thinking of upgrading. Options shortlisted are UMC-1/UPA-7 combo or Denon 3311.

The sources are PS3 80GB, Denon 1940 CI, Tata sky HD.

Display bravia 40W300 and sony 7.1 tower speaker system (happy with that currently but will later upgrade to polk or WD).

Request views/comments, specially on combo considering UPA-7 is being closed out and UMC still not stable on FW front.

Thanks!!!

I am very happy with my UMC-1. It does most of the things well. Minor issues, I can live with. SQ is fantastic. At its price, it is a no-brainer. Just get a good multi-channel amp and you are ready to rock. No AVR sub 1.5 Lakhs can come close to this combo.

Possible reason why you did not get responses is because you started a new thread without searching. No point repeating the same thing in 10 different threads. Right?!

I am very happy with my UMC-1. It does most of the things well. Minor issues, I can live with. SQ is fantastic. At its price, it is a no-brainer. Just get a good multi-channel amp and you are ready to rock. No AVR sub 1.5 Lakhs can come close to this combo.

Possible reason why you did not get responses is because you started a new thread without searching. No point repeating the same thing in 10 different threads. Right?!

how much does this combo cost ? including taxes/customs etc

UMC-1 + UPA5 cost me Rs. 71,000 incl. shipping/taxes etc. However, this was during a sale. I expect the next sale to be around the Easter timeframe.

You can check the combo with Spidey in the forum who stays in Pune.

Regd. firmwares, I frankly havent found any significant issues other than the shutdown lockups which are an irritant than anything else.

Thanks all for comments/views.

Senthol2: Your point is right. I have been reading all threads on EMO but purpose of initiating new thread was very specific. Here I asked specifically for views since UPA - 7 is being phased out. Anyway, thx for the input.

while I am happy with the exact setup that you are planning to buy.. I'd recommend a bit of caution to you. I, personally and very happy, but that's because i am okay with the the occasional sync issues, audio drops and the the overall lack of seamlessness of the usage experience.

Sq, as santhol2 says, is a cut above, but, that may not be immediately apparent with the speakers you use.

please note that while the upa-7 is a very fine (if just a bit bass light) amp; the umc-1 has it's share of problems, which come up suddenly. I had no problems for 6 months and suddenly i started have drop outs and "digital noise" problems.

if only you are gonna be using it, and you like a bit of tinkering, go for it without thinking twice. but if others are also gonna use it; and may not have the same "instant trouble shooting" expertise, remember that the 3311 will provide a really seamless usage experience, which (after a one time setup) even a 5 year old can control,. (my 4 year daughter handles my denon 1611+bdp+tv without a hiccup)

remember, I am a big emo fan!

Hi

I don't know what u r after.

But even any avr like 2311 would be overkill for ur Sony speakers.

Why ar u eying 3311/emotiva I can't say.
If a suitable upgrade is planned in terms of speakers then u r justified in investing in such amplification.

And lastly ur comfort with complex electronics would decide ur choice.
3311:setup and forget
Umc1: setup,tweak,update and so on.

Thanks

Thanks All for the valuable comments! Made a final decision to go ahead with emo. Will order umc in a day or two and have already reserved upa (tentative shipment 20th march). will upgrade speakers soon, I know sony is not upto the mark but will upgrade center and rears 1st as fronts can handle 180 watts max @ 8 ohms. That way even others are rated at 120w@ 8 ohms but will not take chance.

In case i start looking for potential buyer for existing set up (2106 + sony 7.1 syatem, sub 150 watts) any ball park figure, i should sell it at. My purchase price was USD700 for 2106 and speaker system for around 60k roughly. Both are around 5 years old and are in good condition (manuals, remote etc still falwless)
Thanks

Amit,

Has your emo gear arrived? Would love to take a look, as I am also wondering between Pioneer LX vs. Emo. I am in Pune too, anybody else (spidey?) who can show me the stuff?

Also, did you buy from the Emo website?

Thanks,

Viki

Hi all,

The shipment is on its way to Pune through borderlinx. Another 3-4 days away. :yahoo::cheers:

Faced some problems during wire transfer so arranged payment through my brother's credit card since he is in US only. Could not buy it from site as UPA-7 is not available for buying. Did all this while being in China for a week.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Amit,

As I am alsonlooking at Emo gear, would love to audition your setup as soon as you find convenient. I am in Pune too. Pls PM your contact no. if this is ok.

Viki

The package has arrived in a perfect condition, double packed. Yet to hook it up as on official tour.....

is the emo available in india officially....? what about repairs ? if something goes wrong can it be repaired in india... ? is there a service center here ?

the SVS subwoofers are available officially in india through Audire technologies with bill and warranty. So repairing should not be a issue at all.

My concern is about products which are not available officially with bill and warranty. What do we do if there is repair/replacement required ? I was/am keen in the Emotiva as i'm in the market for a new avr but i'm holding back due to it not being available officially with bill and warranty....

the SVS subwoofers are available officially in india through Audire technologies with bill and warranty. So repairing should not be a issue at all.

My concern is about products which are not available officially with bill and warranty. What do we do if there is repair/replacement required ? I was/am keen in the Emotiva as i'm in the market for a new avr but i'm holding back due to it not being available officially with bill and warranty....

When you buy Emotiva products, they are definitely with bill and warranty. They do support, in fact extremely well over phone (however, it could be an expensive option as one has to do ISD). The issue is if something very seriously wrong, then shipping it to the US is a pain and an obviously expensive option. I have heard in the emotiva forums that if they are able to diagnose a specific part, they would ship that and can guide you to self install it. In fact, in one of the cases, they actually shipped a second UMC1 for one of the forum members as the first one was defective. However, that episode didnt end very well (well documented in this forum) so they maybe unwilling to do so in the future.

If you are willing to take the risk of the initial product not being a dud and you have to ship back, I havent seen any major issues at least for the firmwares since October, its a definitely a better buy than the 3311. However, the 3311 comes with the obvious security of going locally for service(although I am not sure if the actual service is better ).

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back