Thinking of buying Emo UMC-1 & UPA-7 or Denon 3311, please help

Acoustics,

Are you sure the Yamaha is available for Rs. 110,000, I would expect it to cost much more? It seems a steal at this price.

In terms of features, I agree that the Yamaha is streets ahead of the UMC1. Maybe once Emotiva comes out with the XMC 1 it may be comparable.

However, I am not sure why you say that the amp of the Yamaha is way better than the Emotiva. The Yamaha manages to give 140 W only when two channels are powered, and would struggle if all channels were asked to provide that kind of power. The whole unit also uses up only 490W, while the Emotiva uses 850W.

dear sud8 the yamaha 3067 features a unquie amplifier technology introduced by yamaha in their new aventage series and 3067 is the one that features it. plz check the link in my last post, its a review conducted by audioholic guys and in this review they have conducted various tests. Here's whats quoted on the audioholic website regarding the amplifying power of the 3067

"Thus we conducted dynamic burst power measurements simulating real world program content. Interestingly enough the RX-A3000 delivered similar dynamic power output ACD into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power two channels driven into 4 ohm loads than the Emotiva UPA-7 dedicated multi-channel power amplifier that is designed to deliver rated power continuously into all channels.It's clear that the Yamaha RX-A3000 delivers more than rated power with up to two channels driven and tons of dynamic headroom (1.9dB for 8 ohms based on their 140wpc power rating). Let no skeptic tell you otherwise, the RX-A3000 has a darn respectable amplifier section not only for a receiver but for a modestly priced seven channel power amplifier."

its clearly said that "Interestingly enough the RX-A3000 delivered similar dynamic power output ACD(all channels driven) into 8 ohm loads and slightly more power two channels driven into 4 ohm loads than the Emotiva UPA-7 dedicated multi-channel power amplifier

Now regarding the power rating stated on the back panel:
The backpanel power rating is NOT a max power rating unless it states it. It's typically 2 channels driven at full rated power for 2CH amps/receivers so 140wpc x 2 + say 50 watts for processing / 0.5 eff = 660 watts but for multi channel receivers they typically run 1 channnel at rated power and the others at 1/8th power which is much closer to the 500 watt rating on the backpanel. This is how UL does their heat dissipation tests.So the actual ACD power rating is much higher.

Last edited:
For Movies both should do the job. A decent AVR will sound good for Movies. But for Music, UPA-7 would be much better.

If you listen to 2 Channel Music, you can buy a decent AVR for HT Movies with preouts and buy UPA-2 for Music. Only hitch is you will have to use a switcher for your front speakers.

i think the umc1 and upa7 package without the sale costs around 82000
the yamaha rx-v3067 flagship costs 110000 with bill and warranty, it has a better amp inside it than the upa7 and is absolutlely problem free . The extra features like the hqv vida and YPAO-RSC are a big bonus
As to how the 3067 measures in comparision to the emotiva upa7 can be read here:

Yamaha RX-A3000 Aventage Measurement and Analysis (Power Tests) — Reviews and News from Audioholics

won't add to what has already been written, but your contention is highly misrepresentative! the yamaha is current limited to deliver 65w pc in an all channel driven configuration. that's almost exactly half (or in this case 55 x 7 w) less than the emo. read the review properly.

in 2 channel mode, th yam delivers.. more power.. typical of a smaller transformer that cannot service all channels simultaneously.

not to say that yams don't sound good, i had a predecessor of this and it was really good for a home theatre.. but it would be unfair to even hope to match the emo on power and dynamism. take it from someone whose moved to a emo froma yam.

also not sure that yam would be available at 110k in india, remember the rx-v3900 listing at INR 150k, the z7 at 250k+ so this should be somewhere in between

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
Back after a long time since was on tour...

So, hooked it up finally. Ran the EMO-q and it calculated distances perfectly except for the sub which was off by about 3', dont know why. My living room size is 14 X 18 and have a 7.1 set up.

I know my speaker set is not upto the mark but what was satisfying though that the crossovers calculated by EMO were exactly as per speaker specifications. So emo-q is working fine in comparison to what I read on emo forum. I think the new FW is much more improved and have not faced s single issue (already reported on the forum) over 4-5 days use. Tried switching sources, modes and other parameters. Flawless and no locks, no center channel drops.

The overall eq performance is also as per my liking and did not find any need to modify it. Excellent performance across the spectrum, great midrange, vocals. Kishor Kumar voice sounds much more deep and juicy than it used to sound on my earlier Denon 2106. Watched the India - Aus match on tata sky hd connected to Sony 40W300A and it was an awesome exp. The center & sourrounds were very active and it sounded like we were actually watching it live. Had some guests that day, so praise from them and also from wife was like icing on the cake. ha ha ha....

May be with more familarity, I will be able to tune it further, if need be.

All sources (Tata sky HD, PS3 & Denon 1940 CI) are connected via Emo HDMI and profigold analog interconnects for RCA connections from analog sources and also between UMC-1 & UPA-7.

The input set up was little complicated to begin with but proved very easy once understood fully. The flexibility is awesome and one can select different sound output formats depending on the incoming stream from the same source.

I think, apart from processing quality of UMC-1, UPA-7 is making all the difference while driving speakers @ 125 watts, 8 ohms in a multichannel environment. So emo gear delivers as described. Movies sound much more life like and real.

Apart from all the good things only concern as of now is that the UMC is getting relatively hot over a period of 2-3 hours continuous usage at normal volume. It has been housed in its own compartment in the equipment rack beside ps3 and has about 2.5 inches space above it, plenty at the back. However the amp (housed at the bottom of the rack) remains at room temp at all times.

Will post pictures in my next post, in the meantime any thoughts regarding above concern would be highly appreciated.

As regards to warranty, have received bill and 5 year warranty certificate along with 40% discount certificate for processor upgrade. Have read on many forums that these products are built like a rock and nothing happens to them. This was witnessed when lifted the amp from the box. It weighs 38 kg and the UMC also around 10 kg. Experienced Emo's customer service during issues faced during wire transfer. They kept the poducts reserved for me (for atleast a week) till the time made other payment arrangements, even though other customers were in Q (specifically for UPA-7) and not a single ruppe was paid to them. Great gesture.

Anyway, i am very happy of my decision to go with emo and hope to enjoy it for years to come....

Hey Amit

How did you sourced UPA 7 is not available on emo site. Please advice I am also looking to buy the same gear.

You directly paid to EMo and then they Fex exed the Product right ?

What was the total cost if you can tell. I am getting a higher quote from ICC world.

Emo Gear - 1st Exp. Very Happy

Hello,

I had reserved it when it was open for reserve. Took a calculated risk. It has been discontinued now since according to emo it was not selling in big numbers even though rated as best amp by audioholics. Have read the same for UPA - 5 as well on emo forum.

Since faced wire transfer issues, asked my brother to pay to them from his credit card (he is in US). Shipped it through borderlinx, free shipping from emo to my boederlinx US address. From there onwards, ordered express shipping by DHL to Pune.

In all, paid $1298 (59,967/- @ 46.20) to my brother and another 39,900/- to borderlinx including express shipping, duty and taxes. Needless to say, got the combo in 1 lac which is much cheaper compared to similar spec systems.

Regards,

Amit

PS: Couple of members from Pune who have shown interest to audition the gear, please allow me some time and will get back to you guys.

Amit

Thanks for info. i am quoted 1.19 L for UMC1 + XPA5 including Customs by ICC, Looking at info I think its is ok Price since XPA5 is 900$.

What was mrp of UPA7?

Last edited:
Re: Emo Gear - 1st Exp. Very Happy

Hello All,

Back again, took so much time for another reason. Emo gear is working falwlessly.

The reason is my aquarium which is right in the living room. That was being set up. Somebody may ask why it took 4 months to set up a fish tank afterall. Though not related to this forum, would like to mention something about it just for glimpse of it. The tank dimension are 7 X 2 X 2 ft (210 US gallons) and set up as natural planted aquarium. Have imported all the planting material from ADA.

Anyway, post aquarium set up, I am now ready for demonstrating my emo gear to interested forum members from Pune (others also welcome) who had shown interest. Please pm me so that suitable date/time (week ends mostly) can be decided.

Thanks,

Amit

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back