This is Bliss

Surrealistix

Till about three years ago, I was most happy listening to music on my PC using my Klipsch Promedia 4.1 pc speaker. All of that changed when I heard my brothers high end AV setup in Singapore. It was a surreal experience.

I started out with a Denon receiver which I bought used on eBay and slowly built my system adding new components every few months.

Its been three years into this hobby, and I think I have everything from the room to the speakers integrated so well that I can finally sit back relax and enjoy listening to music.

My New Setup:

Stereo Setup:
Transport: HTPC with M-Audio Audiophile 196 sound card
Dac: Peter Daniel NOS Dac (Full upgrade)
Preamp: Shindo Aurieges (with phono)
Power Amp: Usher R 1.5
Speakers: Usher BE-718
Stands: Usher
Cables:
Digital Belden Coax from Peter Daniel
Dac to Pre Tekline 500
Pre to Power ClearAudio Pure Silver
Speaker Zu Wax

Room Treatment: Diy Panels made using 6 inch Mineral wool for low frequency absorption in corner traps and 4 inch Rigid Fibre Board Glasswool for the first reflection points

I noticed a huge difference in sound after upgrading from the Monitor Audio to Usher BE-718 speakers. Thats when I realised that I need a dedicated room to take the setup to a different level and upgrade the rest of the chain to match up to these fantastic speakers. I am sure there are many speakers that I havent heard in this price range, but I made a trip to Singapore and auditioned as many speakers as I could in a week. The Ushers were the last set of speakers I auditioned. Incidentally, they cost the same here in India so I ended up coming back home empty handed from Singapore and bought the speakers here in India.

In the last six months, I broke down two rooms to make a larger 20 by 13 room for AV. I built a whole bunch of acoustic panels for the room as it was empty and live.

On the equipment front, I think the Shindo pre, Usher Amp and the Peter Daniel DAC sound really good together and the Shindo pre is magic. I am sure I can tweak this till there is no tomorrowand I am sure I will, but for now this is bliss.

Here are some pics (click on the image to see gallery):

If any of you folks on the forum wish to check out my setup, send me a PM. I am located in Navi Mumbai.

Ahforgot the HT Setup

I love watching movies, but dont really care as much about video fidelity.

My HT Setup:

Front End: PS3 for Blueray movies, HTPC for DVD
Receiver: Denon 3808 receiver
Projector: Mitsubishi HC 3000 720p
Speakers: Usher S525 Center, Usher S520 rear channels
Subwoofer: DIY Dual Ported Sub with Tapco Pro Amp used for subwoofer duty (work in progress)

Thanks for reading this far!

Congrats Dude , you are a proud owner of Shindo , BTW how much did you pay for the Shindo pre amp.

david.

Great Setup......

Can you elaborate what speakers you considered with BE-718.
I mean how do they compare to Dali Ikon 6 or MA RS6f both being floor-standers.

regards

Congratulations ............ amazingly elegant for not being a pro job .....
Very nice equipment also ..... including the DYI subwoofer.

Nice acoustic treatments. I need tips on those.
Pm sent

surrealistix said:
Room Treatment: Diy Panels made using 6 inch Mineral wool for low frequency absorption in corner traps and 4 inch Rigid Fibre Board Glasswool for the first reflection points

Surrealistix, it will be of tremendous help if you could provide details of the the room acoustics you have done:

1. Sources from where you procured the material, and exact part name, number,
2. How did you make the bass traps
3. How did you make the Sound Reflectors
4. Breakdown of costs.

Cheers

Great Setup......

Can you elaborate what speakers you considered with BE-718.
I mean how do they compare to Dali Ikon 6 or MA RS6f both being floor-standers.

regards

Simply put there's no comparison. The usher is on a different planet compared to those speakers. Infact even the GS10 or the helicon bookshelf doesn't hold a candle to it.

Venkat: I will post a write up on the acoustic panel in the next few days.

Bazee: I owned the Monitor Audio RS 6 before the Usher BE-718 and I can tell you that it was a significant upgrade - as Reignofchaos mentioned there is no comparison between the two. I auditioned Dali Ikon 6, MA GS 10, Dynaudio Focus 140, Thiel SCS 4 and many more speakers (can't remember the names anymore).

Cranky: Let me know when you are coming by.

Nice, so you got the screen going as well!

I must listen to the PD DAC when I drop in next (if you're in town, the moment my Ushers land at your doorstep, hehe). I'll also get my Buffalo if it's done by then!

Cranky did you buy something already?

Simply put there's no comparison. The usher is on a different planet compared to those speakers. Infact even the GS10 or the helicon bookshelf doesn't hold a candle to it.

I heard the Usher on more than one occasion and even the top of the line BE-10s..

Was not impressed at all..
There are far better speakers in that range..

Bramberg audio and Roberts Acoustics are some that come to mind...Thought the Users were dull and lifeless

I heard the Usher on more than one occasion and even the top of the line BE-10s..

Bramberg audio and Roberts Acoustics are some that come to mind...Thought the Users were dull and lifeless

You are the first person on this forum and actually anywhere else on the internet I've come across who said this :p. Don't think you'd have too many people agreeing to you.

You are the first person on this forum and actually anywhere else on the internet I've come across who said this :p. Don't think you'd have too many people agreeing to you.

Umm..actually i have said the exact same thing here And i went with 2 other of my head-fi friends from Portland..they all concurred

Hi
Since I can take credit for bringing the Ushers to India, you can probably say that I'm biased :) I remember your post in the other forum, this (RMAF) was mentioned by another user on AC that I know personally who in fact is an Usher fan but said that on the previous day or the last (cant remember which), the setup sounded very good. But then people said this about the Linkwitz Orion (and the EP CS) too. Speaking of the Orion, I have had the good fortune to hear it in the designers home. By all accounts, this was a fantastic speaker although I admit I never heard this in a show. I guess what I am trying to say is that you could try hearing it in a decent audio showroom, then perhaps you may like it or not.
Cranky already named a very nice speaker....here's another one - RM40 from VMPS. Both these would work out to be considerably more expensive than the Be-718 which we sell for around $2100.

cheers

Umm..actually i have said the exact same thing here And i went with 2 other of my head-fi friends from Portland..they all concurred

I have heard the BE-718 on a few occasions and was impressed by it's dynamic response and soundstage. I have listened to this in audio shows as well as in a home enviormnet. What really caught me by surprise a few months ago later was when I visiting another good friend, I saw the Sonus Faber Concertino's and also the Domus and saw a striking resemblance to the Usher's.

Another think that had me totally stumped was the pricing. Usher's were almost twice the cost.

With a price/performance perspective as well as the good looks and design factors, I am a bit surprised with the Usher's thought process here.

This is nothing against the company or the product quality though I am still not sure if I would jump on getting a pair given the other choices.

Are you referring to the Be-718 or the X-718? (they both look similar), perhaps you are referring to the latter? The Sonus faber you mentioned and the Be-718 are in different classes altogether. The SF cant match the dynamics/low end or the highs of the Be-718.

cheers

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Be-718 or the X-718? (they both look similar), perhaps you are referring to the latter? The Sonus faber you mentioned and the Be-718 are in different classes altogether. The SF cant match the dynamics/low end or the highs of the Be-718.

cheers

Odyssey,

I systems I auditioned were the Tiny Dancers (the name stuck to my mind). I guess these are the 718s. Though I have seen the X-718s, i have not auditioned them.

Now I am not sure why you would say the SFs are in a different class? I know your FR range is larger but for effective responses, the SFs were quite dynamic as well. Western classical recording sounded very smooth with the right dynamics and bass comparatively

Again, this is nothing against the Ushers but I am only speaking about price/perf. benefits.

Also I would be curious if you have any A/B tests or reviews. I would enjoy both the brands if I purchased them but those are not in my plans :)

yeah! ur right. i felt the same way when listened to one at my friends place to check what the fuss is all about.

guess its mostly because usher speaker had some quality issues with the Beryllium tweeters and now they have changed their supplier to Brush Wellman.

I have heard the BE-718 on a few occasions and was impressed by it's dynamic response and soundstage. I have listened to this in audio shows as well as in a home enviormnet. What really caught me by surprise a few months ago later was when I visiting another good friend, I saw the Sonus Faber Concertino's and also the Domus and saw a striking resemblance to the Usher's.

Another think that had me totally stumped was the pricing. Usher's were almost twice the cost.

With a price/performance perspective as well as the good looks and design factors, I am a bit surprised with the Usher's thought process here.

This is nothing against the company or the product quality though I am still not sure if I would jump on getting a pair given the other choices.

I second your opinion about the SF Concertino. I heard this at a pal's pad recently and for the price/perf. ratio it definitely beats the BE-718 hands down. Of course, the high's are slightly brighter/shriller than the 718 but then it doesn't have the beryllium tweeter so it can be excused. I'd put my money on the Concertino any day. Marsilians can you share thoughts on the SF Domus?

Reading all the views has made me even more keen to hear the Ushers & judge for myself.
Sridharji, when is your Demo room scheduled to open in Delhi ?

Hi Kamalji
I wish I could give you a date, its at least another 2 months out :eek:
Once its ready, I will post here for sure.

cheers
Sridhar

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back