This is sage advice!

aeroash

Moderators, I'm not sure where this should appear. Kindly direct it in the proper direction if found inappropriate.

This video by Steve Guttenberg speaks volumes, especially for when we think of a change (I've intentionally omitted the word 'upgrade') because what we seek is a 'change', doesn't matter that our system costs an arm and a leg, yet we yearn to keep constantly swapping it. This video hits all the right spots, when we think of it rationally, but there's nothing rational about audio equipment purchase I guess, most of the time the decisions stem from the heart.

Echoing with the video, to give you an example, I bought an Audiolab 6000A, recently. This was my first quality integrated amplifier, all this while I had my speakers plugged into a Denon AVR, and the first time I turned on the Audiolab, I was underwhelmed, disappointed in fact. I didn't like the new sound at all! it sounded 'Airy'! I didn't like it one bit. I wasn't used to something sounding like that. I instantly had the dreadful, ever frustrating 'Buyer's Remorse'. (I had the Denon for 5 years until now, and it was EQued to my taste).

I decided to give myself enough time with the new amplifier and it is only now that I have learned to appreciate the finer nuances of the various aspects of the sound reproduced by the Audiolab. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now, and I'm really happy!

Do you guys have similar stories? Do you guys echo with what Steve is talking about?
Please share...

Last edited:
Sound .... especially music is highly subjective. And a lots of it stems from our brain innate bias and conditionings.

I guess this will remain so as long as humanity last. Audio nirvana is a myth. :D

Happened to me with my NOS dac i am using currently....i had put it for sale on this very forum.. LOL! I have always asked people to live with their systems for 6 months atleast. Lot of gear is pretty decent these days, mostly its the room and our listening habits that works or doesn't.

Yes, understanding one’s equipment/speaker takes a while, at least 2-3 months. And then a refined/deeper understanding develops after 2-3 years. That’s what happened to me with mine. I won’t be surprised if there’s another revelation after 2-3 decades! :D

Meanhwhile one will keep getting tempted by the ‘differences‘ one hears in others’ gear. Let it wash over, don’t act. Keep resisting change/upgrade and keep working on optimising sound from your own system. You’d keep discovering its (untapped) potential and fall in love again.

Not quite unlike a lovingly maintained and intelligently tuned old 118NE/Palio giving more driving pleasure than a brand new Brezza/Creta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back