This project I want to do - original ideas?

in principle, i want to use this kit for my next project - starting in March 2010.

Zaph|Audio ZRT 2.5-Way, Revelator Tower Parts Only - PAIR from Madisound

However, I do not want to go with the existing design (monkey coffin box).

crossover elements can be changed as necessary.

all DIY'ers - send me your suggestions, preferably with a diagram (hand drawn will do).

TIA

Hi Suri,

Cool DIY project...

How come u have time to do this things... Now I realise i miss a lot of sleep daily without thinking about DIY Jobs ... But happy to know U r spending only for DIY...

Happy to know this cool one....

Regards

this looks like a great project.You could try a different box design and go modular,then try decoupling the individual modules.This way you can individually move them back and forth to get a physical time alignment.You can also move the drivers in their individual casings up and down.Also if you want to tune the individual components further,you do not have to destroy or rework the entire box.(Alexandria 2, AA Sentinel)

You can look also at moving the internal bracing to the outside and creating an exoskeleton of sorts.You will probably have to employ treated ship wood or even steel/aluminium.

I tried my hands at decoupling ,in an experiment,the results were very good,I suspended the midrange box in the air using "O" rings.

You can also look at sandwich construction,filling the layer in between with sand,this results in an extremely heavy but dead cabinet if executed properly.

Someone I know has actually used a custom sized earthen "matka",loaded it in a box and filled the surrounding with sand.Added internal bracing and used a Scan Speak Revelator mid\woofer .It has some of the cleanest midrange I have ever heard!

Good luck! hope you have a rocking time building this thing.

this looks like a great project.You could try a different box design and go modular,then try decoupling the individual modules.This way you can individually move them back and forth to get a physical time alignment.You can also move the drivers in their individual casings up and down.Also if you want to tune the individual components further,you do not have to destroy or rework the entire box.(Alexandria 2, AA Sentinel)

You can look also at moving the internal bracing to the outside and creating an exoskeleton of sorts.You will probably have to employ treated ship wood or even steel/aluminium.

I tried my hands at decoupling ,in an experiment,the results were very good,I suspended the midrange box in the air using "O" rings.

You can also look at sandwich construction,filling the layer in between with sand,this results in an extremely heavy but dead cabinet if executed properly.

Someone I know has actually used a custom sized earthen "matka",loaded it in a box and filled the surrounding with sand.Added internal bracing and used a Scan Speak Revelator mid\woofer .It has some of the cleanest midrange I have ever heard!

Good luck! hope you have a rocking time building this thing.

thanks for the ideas - i have had to drop this project because it became simply too complex - and as cranky has mentioned somewhere, these full baffle-step compensated designs need a very large volume room to work in-

Suri, if you want to try something different from speakers,
here's an interesting one to draw inspiration from. It was posted
by Vlad on diyaudio -

work of art from Russia

hi quad - that is so amazing!!!!

the man is an artistic genius- sure that i want to do something like this when i am done with speakers.

thanks-
regds

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back