This time an Advance TL Floor Stander with Dayton Audio Drivers - New

Hari Iyer

I got an opportunity to build for my friend an Advance TL Floor Stander with the Dayton Reference Woofers (7" Aluminium cone) and Tweeter (1" Silk Dome). The box design was completed and a the box build (90% complete) - Images as below.

2eyuhvl.jpg

25umydh.jpg

Also i have completed the design of the cross-over network which is 1st order Butterworth - zero phase shift Phase Coherent system. The crossover frequency is exactly 1800 Hz which is the distance between the woofer and tweeter center (7.5").

33zbcj4.png

2enu4hs.png

Frequency response is flat in the simulation and shows the crossover at 1800 Hz. The load is more or less capacitive with this crossover. The impedance falls with increasing frequency. This is because the woofer is 8 ohms and the tweeter is 4 ohms. The simulation shows a gradual roll-off for the highs from 10KHz onward. This will allow a very mellow and soothing highs eliminating listening fatigue. It will be interesting to note how the baffle step will effect this roll-off.

The maximum phase angle with the tweeter is still 36 deg with the simulation. The min impedance is 3.2 ohms from 7kHz onwards which is okay as the angle is not too deep. This was required for compensating the tweeter for phase coherence and remove the phase errors.

The phase shift is zero degree for the filter considering the system phases. Individual low pass and high pass phase shows around 10 deg phase shift near the crossover region which was the minimum i could design.

Tweeter Reverse connected / Woofer and Tweeter Reverse connected:

fy0gg9.png

o083g6.png

The system phase shows accurate crossover and phase linearity and behavior.

Overall i am satisfied with the simulation. The built should be completed within next one / two weeks and then the measurements should follow to compare the simulated and measured results. I am planning to build the crossover with less than 1% component tolerance. Unfortunately none of the values are standard and will have to be custom made for minimum tolerance there by increase time, effort and cost.

For listening impressions after build - stay tuned.

Last edited:
Unfortunately none of the values are standard and will have to be custom made for minimum tolerance there by increase time, effort and cost.
You're going to get resistors and capacitors custom built or are you referring to inductors only?

Inductors always are custom built only. Resistors and capacitors will be need to be in parallel series combination for exacting the values. Custom built will be feasible only for large bulk orders of 100 nbrs each values only which is not feasible for me.

Good stuff Hari! I really like the wood finish you have on these speakers.

Just a question from my ignorance and curiosity:
Why do you "reverse connect" the woofer and tweeter?
Is that done to reconfirm the cross over frequency?

Best Regards.

Good stuff Hari! I really like the wood finish you have on these speakers.

Just a question from my ignorance and curiosity:
Why do you "reverse connect" the woofer and tweeter?
Is that done to reconfirm the cross over frequency?

Best Regards.
Thanks Nikhil. The reverse connection of woofer and tweeter polarity confirms the filter phase and SPL phase integrity. The SPL phase will bisect the Filter phase exactly at 0 deg for an accurate design without loosing linearity. Also the FR dip will centre exactly at the cross over frequency. Also the woofer and tweeter bisect at crossover freq.

Very nice build Hari......congrats, looks quite awesome

I am also using the Dayton reference 7 inch (4 ohm but) and Dayton Reference 4 inch
in my car. As I am not good at designing crossover these are running active and sound awesome.

I am also building speaker enclosure with dayton drivers for home audio....
Dayton DC250 10 inch
Dayton RS150P 6 inch
Onkyo silk dome tweeters

All drivers are 8 ohm....
Crossover to be set actively on my DSP....

Hari Sir, I'm interested if you can make TL speakers from a pair of vintage 8" drivers (Kef b200) I have?

Transmission Line Speaker Build

Thanks Heliumflight. I checked the design link, and usually I never have build on any published design as I will not be able to manage it if it does not sound okay. If you wish, i can build with my own design skills and techniques.

Thanks Heliumflight. I checked the design link, and usually I never have build on any published design as I will not be able to manage it if it does not sound okay. If you wish, i can build with my own design skills and techniques.

Great, please pm with quote.

Completed the TL FS yesterday evening with drivers and crossover fitted. Listened for over 2 hours and have only 3 adjectives to describe them - Superb, Excellent and Mind blowing. Will post the measured results later in the day.

Some images of the completed system -

2gvts13.jpg

11mdu7a.jpg

2qlvhqp.jpg

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back