Thoren TD 124

Beginner_N

Hi all,

Need quick help in getting right price for below: its Rs 1 lakh high?

A sought-Thorens TD124 turntable with a Ortofon tonearm and pickup. Tone armplate is from SELA. The terminal was designed and executed by the artist Forse spark. The sole plate is of aluminum, not cast iron. Which is better to MC pickups. Good condition. With original English manual.

Regards,

The pricing of decks like the 301, 401, 124, sp10, etc is very subjective depending on many factors. If being sold by FMs, usually one primary factor is how much the seller paid for them when buying it. Around December last year, a literally NOS TD124 was sold by a contact of mine, in the UK for 800 GBP but that was with OEM tonearm board (for 9 inch toneram), but without tonearm.

The aluminium platter suggests that the one you are looking at is a Mark-2, the Mark-1s I think had cast iron platters. Some say that the cast iron platter models were not suitable for use with MC carts, hence you should be ok on this front. However I have no personal experience with this angle, hence our FMs may be able to throw more light. I have use the Mark-2, which is a great turntable. I moved on as I wanted a pure idler, rather than one with a belt driven idler.

Last edited:
TD124 is a great turntable and it's price is based on how good the condition is. Every spare or refurbish is expensive. I have seen prices ranging from $600 to $3500.

I personally have been looking at acquiring a good TD124 for a long time, but never found one which justified price and condition.

All the best.

Cheers.

Like Anil, I also was looking for a Thorens TD 124 for a very very long time. I had to compromise and go for a mint TD 121 which has only 33 RPM and since it was made only for the American market, I had to do some extra work to get it to work in India. But, it is made to perfection by the Swiss engineers and truly a great Turntable if you can get one in good shape. It is so very silent, you can extract a lot of details if the right arm and cart is fitted. Since it is very easy to switch arms as it a detachable arm board facility, I have tried several arms on it including SME 3012, Origin Live and Ortofone professional tonearms. All perform well on this deck. So, my advice is to go for it even if it is a little expensive because it hardly comes up for sale these days

None of these hyped turntables that come on the market here in Mumbai are fully serviced, which requires a lot of effort, time and money. So IMO these prices in higher five figures or six figures are not at all justified. I was involved in purchase of two TD124s recently, MkI with SME 3012 and MkII with SME 3009, I had to work on them but as the combined price did not cross Rs50,000/- that was ok.

Regards,

The aluminium platter suggests that the one you are looking at is a Mark-2, the Mark-1s I think had cast iron platters. Some say that the cast iron platter models were not suitable for use with MC carts, hence you should be ok on this front.

I have been using a Denon DL 103 cartridge in my Mark I 124 without any issue. Earlier, I had used two other MC carts too without any issues. So I think it's safe to use LOMCs with the TD124/I.

I have been using a Denon DL 103 cartridge in my Mark I 124 without any issue. Earlier, I had used two other MC carts too without any issues. So I think it's safe to use LOMCs with the TD124/I.

I am using Denon DL103 on my TD 121 with a STAX UA 7 tonearm. TD 124 and 121 are identical except that 121 has only one speed. I don't have any isue on playback.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back