thorns td 125

A prickly one, that.:)

Depends on whether you're buying one from a friend, from eBay, or from the neighbourhood kabbadiwallah. You need to provide more detail, pal. Also condition, tone arm make, plinth type, etc.

It is not Thorns! It is Thorens. TD 125 is one of the best turntables that Thorens made with lot more electronics and modern technology than it's illustrious predecessor TD124.

Like G401 has said, the price you pay depends on the condition. Do you have picture?

Cheers.

A lot will depend on the arm fitted. Thorens 125 came without arm. Also the condition of the suspension springs, speed, etc. Cannot pay for such models based only on its brand name .

The TD125 is a suspended subchassis belt drive tt with a low torque/low RPM a/c motor. The motor does not run directly off the mains, but a regenerative type supply. The electronics inside the tt are for this. They consist of a sine wave generator and a signal amplifier. Most of the TD125 units are not working because of problems with these electronics. An expert DIYer with experience in repairing vintage ss amps can repair this but a commercial guy may not be able to/not interested. I haves also come across a case where the faulty electronic board was bypassed and the motor was wired directly to the mains through a register, as is the case with the TD150/160. But this shall degrade the performance.

If the electronics are not working perfectly, I would not pay more than Rs. 5000 for a TD125. Also, Make sure to take off the platter and store it separately during transportation. If left in place, it can come off, resulting in damage to the motor and tonearm.

HTH

sme 3009 is the arm...motor is working.

If you are going to give us one liners I'm afraid you wont get much help especially after such detailed responses by our FMs.

Still need to provide more detail on this TT i.e. Price quoted, condition of the TT both internally and externally with pictures Etc.

Last edited:
kamal5878,

What are you upto? I have had a casual look at all your posts on this forum. 90% of them seem to be asking what price to pay for a particular item. The rest of the posts are about selling something that you have.

I may be wrong, but if you are using this forum to use it as a trade guide, please refrain from doing so. Your answers are cryptic. You either do not want to reveal the full picture or do not know the details.

In any case please express yourself and clarify to us.

- Moderation.

you r wrong...iam not using this for trade purpose...if o found something intrested to buy i use help from you ppl to advice me for better buying....and my post is not only asking price but also technical things .
iam not an expert to find electronics which is old one and i need ppl guidlines to buy and keep it as an valuble item....i hav sold some doubles vinyl and some vinyls which iam not intrested in playing to ppl who likes those records....i think my explanation is ok for u guys...

BTW, if you find complete but non working Thorens TD 125 and if willing to part, then I am here to buy :) Specially at rates ~4-5K INR. ;)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back