thoughts on automatic speaker calibration??

manu4panjab

hey brothers

what do you think of automatic speaker calibration

is it any good or helpful for someone like me who never use spl metre

how much it is correct for speaker calibration

Last edited:
hey brothers

what do you think of asc

Hi,

This would depend on how the ASC is perfomed. Assuming the speakers are positioned correctly, the calibration mic is placed at the recommended positions and there are no spurious noise during the tests, this is normally satisfactory.

Ofcourse, you may have to tweak some settings to suit your personal tastes as well as your room accoustics. Do understand the algorithm works by measuring the sound intensity received by the mic, each speaker relative to the others and not on 'how' the sound is received, hence some error may result.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi,

This would depend on how the ASC is perfomed. Assuming the speakers are positioned correctly, the calibration mic is placed at the recommended positions and there are no spurious noise during the tests, this is normally satisfactory.

Ofcourse, you may have to tweak some settings to suit your personal tastes as well as your room accoustics. Do understand the algorithm works by measuring the sound intensity received by the mic, each speaker relative to the others and not on 'how' the sound is received, hence some error may result.

Thanks,

Nitin.

brother

when i do asc for polk speakers from onkyo av receiver i guess every speaker sound great except subwoofers i mean it sound too flat should i change it

because in onkyo official thread on another av frum sit they said we must give ourselfs fe weeks before critical listening because we are habitual to specific sound like if we like heavy muudy bass then we immediately dislike flat bass and we like bright sound then we immediately dislike neutral sound

so any thought on that

Hi,

What i feel is the thread is simply asking you to let the speakers "burn-in" so that they reproduce the sound at their best.

Yes, this is an important factor and if you perform speaker calibration (automatic/manual) on an "out of the box" speakers/equipment, there would be some error.

Finally there may also be some phsycological reasons as well. :)

As for your subwoofer sounding flat, here are some points to consider:

-Is this a brand new sub, that has NEVER been used?
-Have you set the speaker settings and cross-overs correctly?
-Is the speaker connected correctly (audio and power)?
-How is the phase of the sub? If this is adjustable, please try adjusting the phase and the level!

I would recommend you to set the AVR to route both the LFE and main channel audio to the subwoofer.

I had to keep the subwoofer at the back side of my room because the sub was radiating sound "out-of-phase" the other speakers and my sub does not have any phase control.

If all else fails, you should try a replacement.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi,

What i feel is the thread is simply asking you to let the speakers "burn-in" so that they reproduce the sound at their best.

Yes, this is an important factor and if you perform speaker calibration (automatic/manual) on an "out of the box" speakers/equipment, there would be some error.

Finally there may also be some phsycological reasons as well. :)

As for your subwoofer sounding flat, here are some points to consider:

-Is this a brand new sub, that has NEVER been used?
-Have you set the speaker settings and cross-overs correctly?
-Is the speaker connected correctly (audio and power)?
-How is the phase of the sub? If this is adjustable, please try adjusting the phase and the level!

I would recommend you to set the AVR to route both the LFE and main channel audio to the subwoofer.

I had to keep the subwoofer at the back side of my room because the sub was radiating sound "out-of-phase" the other speakers and my sub does not have any phase control.

If all else fails, you should try a replacement.

Thanks,

Nitin.

brother i have check everything though i have two polk psw 125 and they are both new i mean just two weeks old is this the reason

Hi,

Well, that is a possibility.

Try playing the unit for 3-4 hrs for about a week or so and see.

Else you may request for service.

Thanks,

Nitin.

hey brothers

what do you think of automatic speaker calibration

I have used a number of ASC's and don't think there is anyone that does a perfect job. Normal adjustments after running are:

- Setting speakers to "small" instead of large
- if your Onkyo allows sub frequency calibration, then changing this to a value between 60, 80 or 100Hz
- checking the center speaker volume settings

Apart from this, it does a good job. For most people this beats the manual calibration as it takes away a lot of labour and guessing from the process.

I have used a number of ASC's and don't think there is anyone that does a perfect job. Normal adjustments after running are:

- Setting speakers to "small" instead of large
- if your Onkyo allows sub frequency calibration, then changing this to a value between 60, 80 or 100Hz
- checking the center speaker volume settings

Apart from this, it does a good job. For most people this beats the manual calibration as it takes away a lot of labour and guessing from the process.

you are right i too set my speakers to small and crossover frequency to 80 hz

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back