Thread to avoid cheapo dabba(small cheap) speakers

I guess my past post is clear for people who has read ,
I already told debaters always succeed over me

i thought i was using my brain answering to an experienced audiophile, who has faith on 2.1 systems probably knows low cost sources

but it turns out the other person is a philosopher " A perfect system for a newbie will be simple : Whatever his ears tell him"

but my ears never told me ?!! buy tripath/buy marantz ,

how is it possible ? Telekinesis from the showroom audio items ???

mine is fine what about your ears ?? why you keep on on ""fiddling" components
and never got happy "[as you told in previous thread]

so people discussing all about speaker /systems/source are gone mad ,

@jaudere..they should wait for ears to ring ("kaan bagne tak wait karo")

Last edited:
Just came across a thread started by you. So finally what did your friend buy? Did you manage to convince him not to buy el-cheapo but some decent system as per your definition?

http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/23019-5k-elcheapo-fren.html

In fact I am happy that at least in that thread you seem to understand why your friend had that priority and considered philips / sony as decent.

that friend does good job but keeps 1000Rs mobile , that is ok .
but will spend on food,travel

when it comes to audio like 'i know there are good stuff on audio,for me they are pretty useless' ..stagnant.

people who are willing to change with new knowledge will sure love my thread , people who suspect i am advocating expensive audio will never . .
. cant help it !

Hey Kaushik..

Excellent thread.. on why should newbies avoid those mass market cheap products.. I think when one is starting with first (PC ) system those cheap speakers are ok as they cost very less, they will help them appreciate good and nautral sounding systems ( like Toppings etc) later when they graduate to next level.

Having said that, My cousin had same requirement..but i made him think of long term and get a better system by spending little more..

Here is what his requirements were :

1) For a living hall of 18 ( wide ) * 10 ( length ) - He needs speakers to cover TV veiwing area of 10* 10

2) I got his budget increased but only to 35K INR.

3) In that he initially he wanted 5.1 - but i convinced him not to get 5.1 instead he should look for 2.1 or 2.0 as he said mostly he will use it for music and say 20% of times for movies.. also since his listening area or even room is not big enough with distance from TV wall to back wall of only 10 feet.

4) then he was keen on Floor standers + woofer, i convinced him to get bookshelves as the room is small.. he said with that he needs a woofer as well as he likes thumping sound..

5) So now finally i need to help him decide a 2.1 speaker system ( book shelves + sub ) + Amp ( hopefully DAC as well with that ) - Source he will be using his tablet or mobile as source for now . later will upgrade at some time in future to a CD / BD player.

So can you suggest any good 2.1 system + amp with DAC in the budget of 35K ? I think his budget can further increased by 3-4K max but he may not want to spend more than 40K.

We auditioned Toppings TA2020 Amp with my PSB IMage B6 bookshelves yesterday the combo sounded good uptil 50% of volume post that there was clipping. Additionally he likes to play music at loud volume plus he needs to connect so I guess toppings wont do .. for speakers i am thinking of having him audition sonodyne bookshelves.. but dont know what other stuff can be auditioned other than that also what amp to try sonodyne with etc.

Please can you give your suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Naren

Its pretty good thread to share the experience,

Since Childhood i was more attracted towards "BRANDS" so i like to stay away from Unknown brands.I would ask an music lovers to start with a Stereo setup and build little by little.

One point i like to mention here "Owning a 1 Lakh worth Audio components doesn't mean that a person is more towards the quality of music or lover\ passionate on music"

Everyone who likes music ,would probably love to own the best in market, But its not possible for a person to Own Usher or Sonus faber BS with 10K monthly salary:)

Coming to the point
* Dont get attracted towards PMPO (4500W,5000W even 1000W),The crazy thing is "In Jurasic park film the dangerous dinosaurs will be sealed with 10,000wats fence :)",and my street transformer has a warning "5000 Watts Danger",But still some of my friends never fail to say "Dude i got 1000w 5.1 system"

*Dont be in hurry in setting up 5.1 in one short,later you need to run for servicing the same or upgrade,moreover the Secondhand market for the Fancy music system is very low (taken for Plastic weight)

*Personally i recomend to buy a Stereo speaker first, Am a big sighter of speaker on shop,net and also in Home. Then the speakers will make you get a good partner for it.

*Dont be "racist" on deciding the music system ie,COLOURFULL, BRIGHT COLOURED Components produce good quality compared to black. In AV components only the Black are dominating :)(Just for fun) as far i known

*Finally the marketing mantra "5.1 Home theater,give our theater effect" in your home.(stay away from this)

As we know ppl out here really were not able to achieve a basic Stereo setup for 50,000 INR and in market they sell 5.1 with 4500 W pmpo just for 5000.

Last edited:
naren,
i am not correct person to suggest the louder systems . I have seen aviano and warfs FS playing pretty loud . Remember adding a sub is just not easy , a cheaper sub will not match in phase part , so extending the lows with a fast sub is recommended ...i will leave it to the sub experts .

for normal listening pairing tripath of 50wpc with TANNOYs or KEF q series book shelf pairs should suffice . ODAc is a good start in 5k ( cabinetless option). So in 36K one pair of BS + 50w*2 Tripath +ODAC .

Some of cheaper speakers also can sound best for the money.I remember hearing Conic 2.1 setup connected to DVDp sounded very good for the price(2.5k).

Conic guys are doing very good it seems :)

10000Watts!! in a small package (screen for alien technology alert alert ! )
they have not left frequency band and gone beyond expectation

20Hz t0 ooooooooo.. 40Khz
see specs

CN 222 U | Conic Electronics Industries
CN 222 U

LED /VFD display with prologic function.
Remote & button control.
Turn your DVD player into 9000-18000 watts theatre system.
Includes satellite speaker plus sub woofer.
Audio inputs for DVD/CD/AUX and gaming systems.
Computer compatible turns your computer into a home theatre system (Cable included).
Easy mistake proof color coated speaker setup.
Frequency response :- 20 Hz 20khz/40 Hz -40 khz.
Connector : Line in
Recommended use : PC/DVD/Play/TV

Wow that's a GEM:)

10,000 watts 2.1 system,This is first in life time am coming across such "Extraordinary".

But worried about only EB bill, My normal music listening time is 3-4 Hours, So what would be my EB bill for a month on owning and using this system?

frequency response also awesome- 20Hz- 100 Hz ,Why does man ppl spend thousands to own a Music Sub? instead they can get a small package and shake the House:)

I feel this would price between 2.5 to 5 k ,Instead i would get a Old "National Panasonic" deck player with Aux and a decent DVD. That would sounds 100 times better than these crap things.

But really sad on people get attracted towards these stuffs

We can always debate that people who spend lavishly to build a house with 1000 sq ft that they don't really need, or buy a car with more power than they will ever use, could always buy a decent stereo separates/music system for Rs. 30k. But, in the end, it all depends on individual priorities, doesn't it?
A lot of people will give you that " are you out of your mind?" look when you talk about spending a lac rupees on a stereo set up, but will spend 40k for a Full HD flat panel, 6 lacs for a car or 60 lacs for a house/flat, finding it perfectly acceptable to do so.

I guess it has got to do with perceived value( from the owners standpoint) and also that of his family, friends etc.

>Even if you have an audiophile friend to show you the difference between a htib and a proper separates based set up, it is difficult to discern the finer/subtle difference when playing music on both.

I, myself, wouldnt have 'looked' for imaging or soundstage 6 years back eventhough I was no less a music lover. But now I nitpick about all that, even when I am listening to a set of 2.1 speakers which costs Rs.1000.
>Used hi fi is not always an option. You cant come across such things everywhere. Availability is an issue. Then comes aesthetics. We all want things that look neat, if not beautiful in our room. Next would be form factor, space constraints, wiring mess, clutter etc. And above all reliability, peace of mind and simplicity. For all these reasons and more, people will continue to go and buy sleek, unobtrusive, cheap, brand new 2.1 speakers.

iaudio...
agree to most ,but i suppose majority of people here going for some 2 channel setups,are ready to allocate little sum for it ,am i correct?

practically good a make stereo setup sounds better, who says?

why people are discussing which BS/FS ,dac,cables etc

buy 2.1 , you will get amp speaker cable all included why so many threads ,so many shops

The thread is aimed to demystify the bad hardware(yes , no matter if that was due to cost cutting)

Isnt it good to know why quality difference in sound between good 2.1 and good 2 channel system...

very good thread. I appreciate the Indian touch. however I do not appreciate the debates.

coming back to the topic,
I've donated all my crappy 2.1s and 5.1 and stereos away. now I use a self designed 11 speaker setup made from many salvaged and recovered parts also new parts. 11th speaker is a big bad 15inch subwoofer.

now when I compare my usual tracks the way I used to listen on normal 2.1 etc, I can discover new sounds on this awesome system that I never knew!
I'm in heaven. and yes, quality has its place. and you don't need a fortune for it.

The worst Dabba speakers that I recently experianced is a Dell laptop speaker marketed as OEM Piece "original price is 1200 your price 450" :D

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back