Three days of speaker and systems audition in Mumbai (Part 1)

Arhant, I am already feeling so blessed and thrilled reading you experiences, can not imagine if I would be able to remain grounded with such illustration. :eek:hyeah:

Sorry for the late response.

@Thad : Thanks. It was a good experience, hearing different setups just a little bit apart gave me a good sense of comparison.
I dont know if you will like the Amphions but they do merit a audition for sure.

@SatMumbai : Thanks for your kind words. This was my first proper audition experience so i was enjoying it like a child! Hence i tried to cover as much as possible in 3 days.

@MPW : Thanks. Though next time i am there i would love to hear your Naims, if you dont mind of course.
I was thinking you'd be there at Sereneta Audio meet and i would tie up with you to hear the Naim, but next time. :)

@Bhagwan: Thanks for your support and feedback. I know i should have taken pictures but i dint really think i would have much to write about and when i realised it was too late.
Next time i will for sure.

There is definitely so much more i need to hear as you have correctly pointed out. I just made out to places and people i knew of this time. Next time ill explore a bit more.
Actives are definitely on the audition list. I am thinking might make a small trip in Jan itself.

As for the Kashi of systems, i think you are referring to Aashir's system. Yes had a beautiful session there last night, and try to do so one every month.
That system has set the benchmark very high. Something even KJ pointed out, saying "boss you wont like anything now." So true, but have to be realistic!

My test Cd's were not of top quality, there were some FLACs converted to WAVs and some WAVs ripped by Aashir form his CDs.
Most of my music now is in FLAC not WAV so will try to improve on that.

But thanks a lot for the support and encouragement.

@Santy and @Srisaikat: Thanks a ton for the kind words. Atleast in Mumbai now there are just so many nice systems to hear and nice speakers to audition that it is an endless ride. I am sure its the same for other bigger cities as well as Bhagwan pointed out. Just Jaipur has not really caught on with Hi-fi as much yet so one has to travel to explore. :)

Last edited:
What a wonderful read, and your comments on the Amphion BS speakers have just exponentially increased my interest in them - must resist :)

I'd would have loved to join you on a trip like this (do you have plans for Delhi) because though it seems like you have had a great experience with most of the dealers (excepting Avenue Sound), I've had a few bad experiences (admittedly with ninnies like ProFX and I have had a good experience with Lakozy Delhi) and that has made me quite shy to enter the "hallowed" showrooms of India. Funny thing is that I don't mind spending a good amount online over spending it in Indian dealerships :)

Sorry for the late response.

Just Jaipur has not really caught on with Hi-fi as much yet so one has to travel to explore. :)

So strange it is;
The 'best' I have heard in India is right in your city & you need to come here to listen to these 'glorious' set ups...

How I wish I stayed in Jaipur - I would never buy any audio gear - just spend the money on 'good gifts' that I would take to your friends house - as an excuse - so I could listen to what was there in that room;;;:licklips:
It is just outstanding & stupendous...

Top 3 in the world for me at least !
:clapping:

Still - jokes apart - enjoy your ride - listen to set ups that you want to - this will teach you how to listen & mature your abilities to understand better - I am happy to see someone as young as yourself taking the trouble to travel & listen - how I wish other 'senior' FM's did the same...
;)

What a wonderful read, and your comments on the Amphion BS speakers have just exponentially increased my interest in them - must resist :)

I'd would have loved to join you on a trip like this (do you have plans for Delhi) because though it seems like you have had a great experience with most of the dealers (excepting Avenue Sound), I've had a few bad experiences (admittedly with ninnies like ProFX and I have had a good experience with Lakozy Delhi) and that has made me quite shy to enter the "hallowed" showrooms of India. Funny thing is that I don't mind spending a good amount online over spending it in Indian dealerships :)

Sir, this is sad to learn - indeed.
I just suggest that either you call / fix an appointment & visit Indian D & D's or pm / call Indian Audiophiles & visit their house & listen to audio set ups.
That is very very important.
Cause audio is not only about what you use - but what you use it with & how it is used;
Human interaction is imperative to get a good result from any audio set up.

Cause audio is not only about what you use - but what you use it with & how it is used;
Human interaction is imperative to get a good result from any audio set up.

So true. I did have a very good time at one Delhi FM's place sometime back. Had simply taken a chance and sent him a PM, which got a positive reply. I might even add that it is always better to look for a home audition instead of one at the retailer's. Yes, your choice speakers might be absent, but it is a small price to pay for the pure knowledge one could gather, by both, seeing a real installation as well as opportunity for elongated direct interactions with 'was there, done that, now this'.

Hi Arhant. Thanks for the kind words and the excellent write up. Really sorry I could not entertain you for longer, but I assume you empathise with a father of 2 young kids on a weekend....pls feel free to call and drop in any time you are in Mumbai.......

@Bhagwan, one day I hope I have the honour of visiting you and experiencing your extraordinary hi end set up.....

@Bhagwan, one day I hope I have the honour of visiting you and experiencing your extraordinary hi end set up.....

Sir,
There is a 'huge' mis-understanding here;
My Set up is very modest & rather simple.
Trust me - when you visit [my doors are open] & see & listen you will know what I mean.
I live in a small apartment & my music is in a 150 sq. ft. room [if not smaller] & the speakers are less than 5 feet from the listener.
I have written about it in Post # 8 - here :-
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge...tems-audition-mumbai-part-1-a.html#post555966
So please do come - get your music - but do not come with high hopes - the system to listen to is the one in FM - Arihant's City & that is
extraordinary hi end set up
:clapping:

Thanks a lot for appreciating. Sure, next time i am in Delhi we can hit some people and places to do a good audition. I'd love to.

Slight correction, I did not visit Avenue Sound, you meant Audio Vision India. It was a decent experience and not bad in any particular way, just a bit formal.

Hi Arhant. Thanks for the kind words and the excellent write up. Really sorry I could not entertain you for longer, but I assume you empathise with a father of 2 young kids on a weekend....pls feel free to call and drop in any time you are in Mumbai.......

Thanks for having me Ozzie, yaar i just came to your place as soon as i landed in Mumbai and that too on a sunday, without giving you any room!!
And you entertained me very very well and the setup was killer so that made the trip amazing.
Thanks! Will definitely be back for some more beer and music!! :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back