Three Steps to Hi-Fi Heaven

Jagat

Three Steps to Hi-Fi Heaven by Russ Andrews

Source: Three Steps to Hi-Fi Heaven

According to Russ Andrews the three steps to hi-fi heaven are:

1) The mains.

The mains is fundamental to the perfomance of any system, budget or High-End and so has a marked influence on the sound of the hardware and connecting cables. Typically, connecting cables and speakers are chosen which hide the effects of the mains problems. This is why everything seems to be system dependent. Once you start down the road of hiding problems the result is confusion and dissatisfaction. On its own, of course, improving the mains doesn't bring complete satisfaction. Quite often it shows up problems in a worse light.

2) Interconnect cables

3) Speaker cables.

Once you've done these three steps, you can turn your attention to optimising the acoustic environment.

I think you can easily add a fourth dimension - vibration isolators. They are a significant improvement for loudspeakers (FOR SURE) and then CD players, then pre-amps and finally power amps - in order of my priority.

Try one at a time to guage the full impact of these small tweaks.

Ahh. YES! A very important but often forgotten tweak. Can we buy vibrapods and their likes in India? If so can you name the dealers.

Thanks.

Guys, please read theaudiocritic.com berfore spending money on such things!!

Ravi

Will second that. Don't waste (esp., if hard-earned!) money. It is proven (just google) that there is no perceptible diff even if one uses normal electrical cables !

Jagat, thanks for showing us all this link. Greatly appreciated your other link - Ron Harper's Six Rules of Speakers Placement. This is a must read for most folks.

PLease do keep up the gyan flowing our way. Thanks again.

Cheers!

The mains is fundamental to the perfomance of any system, budget or High-End and so has a marked influence on the sound of the hardware and connecting cables. Typically, connecting cables and speakers are chosen which hide the effects of the mains problems. This is why everything seems to be system dependent. Once you start down the road of hiding problems the result is confusion and dissatisfaction. On its own, of course, improving the mains doesn't bring complete satisfaction. Quite often it shows up problems in a worse light.

I get electricity in my house through ordinary cables, which in turn is distributed to my house using ordinary aluminum cables. Throughout my house the electrical wiring is of the same bog-standard INR 600-700 a coil (90 meters length) cable.

Now what I do is - buy a mains lead that someone gives me in lieu of INR 10k saying - take this - replace your mains cable will this - and your audio system would start sounding great. What rubbish :mad:

Why don't people just understand "A chain is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain".

It is proven (just google) that there is no perceptible diff even if one uses normal electrical cables !

Very true if your equipment is budget or mid-fi. Cables and Isolation will make little, if at all any difference. Your setup has to be capable of resolving the differences that these can bring about. Till then use Finolex and for isolation (if at all), cut squash balls into 1/2 and put them cut side down, under each foot of the component - and if the equipment is very light, put some weight on top.

Last edited:
Cables and Isolation will make little, if at all any difference. Your setup has to be capable of resolving the differences that these can bring about.

This is where rethinking is required. A setup doesn't need to be capable of resolving the differences that cables bring about. A cable should be just good enough to transfer everything without doing anything to it.

This is where rethinking is required. A setup doesn't need to be capable of resolving the differences that cables bring about. A cable should be just good enough to transfer everything without doing anything to it.

Precisely.
Other than conveying the message, what does the messenger (cable) do - spice up the music/movie?
Quality is deemed proportional to price. Cheers to the marketing depts!

You are totally wrong my friend. If your system is not capable and has a limited resolution how will a 'better' cable help?

Consider a system with full resolution, cable of reproducing the music as recorded. In this setup a cable upgrade will definitely prove to be substantial. It is simple logic and can be easily experienced.

You keep saying "A chain is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain". What if the cable is the weakest link? Is that not possible?

BTW what cables do you use? Do you believe in cable geometry, design, materials, etc. or do you think that makes no difference at all?

Mr. Jambumali: Please go to a high end audio dealer (and I don't mean Marantz (most models) or NAD) and please experiment for yourself. If you don't hear a difference, consider yourself fortunate! You choose to make statements based on what?? Some articles you read on the net??? I speak from experience - I am not a dealer, distributor or manufacturer of audio equipment. Neither am I 'enlightened' or have special hearing powers, nor do I like to spend money unless I am assured of getting my money's worth!

Let me also tell you that Siltech who makes some very well regarded and super expensive cable is part owned by the owner of Finolex. I wonder why he chose to buy Siltech. Do you think he uses Finolex in his setup. Or maybe he needs your guidance on the subject of cables?

You are totally wrong my friend. If your system is not capable and has a limited resolution how will a 'better' cable help?

Consider a system with full resolution, cable of reproducing the music as recorded. In this setup a cable upgrade will definitely prove to be substantial. It is simple logic and can be easily experienced.

You keep saying "A chain is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain". What if the cable is the weakest link? Is that not possible?

BTW what cables do you use? Do you believe in cable geometry, design, materials, etc. or do you think that makes no difference at all?

Mr. Jambumali: Please go to a high end audio dealer (and I don't mean Marantz (most models) or NAD) and please experiment for yourself. If you don't hear a difference, consider yourself fortunate! You choose to make statements based on what?? Some articles you read on the net??? I speak from experience - I am not a dealer, distributor or manufacturer of audio equipment. Neither am I 'enlightened' or have special hearing powers, nor do I like to spend money unless I am assured of getting my money's worth!

Let me also tell you that Siltech who makes some very well regarded and super expensive cable is part owned by the owner of Finolex. I wonder why he chose to buy Siltech. Do you think he uses Finolex in his setup. Or maybe he needs your guidance on the subject of cables?

Nobody denies the usefulness of a good quality cable. But the problem arises when you go to the extent of saying "Your setup has to be capable of resolving the differences that these can bring about."

Mate, that's an entirely wrong way of looking at it. Read that again and think what that says. You are turning the audio industry on its head. If one were to follow that the person would first of all buy a very high quality cable, the best he can afford and then build the rest of the system. And this forum would be full of questions like - I want to buy cable in the range of 2000-2500 Rs a meter. I listen to Hard Rock and Metal. Please also suggest amps and speakers that will fully utilize the cable.

C'mon mate, get real. Cables need to be decent. They should be able to carry the current faithfully without distorting or coloring. Suggesting people to have cables with warm, bright or such sound and then advise them to buy components that will "resolve the differences" is a well, I don't know what, you decide for yourself.

Not at all Sir,.. read my posts.. I have clearly said that till you have a system capable of resolving the differences cables and isolation can bring about, you can pretty much use anything. Nowhere have I said that you should start with cables - that is stupidity. My response was solely in reply to the following statement. Please don't take it out of context.

"It is proven (just google) that there is no perceptible diff even if one uses normal electrical cables !"

I too went through the stage of DIY and not accepting that cables can do anything, till I experienced it. Not once, but everytime I have auditioned cables (including mains) in a PROPER setup.

There has been a long argument among Indian hobbyists on mains cables on another forum, please read it:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&back=1&sort=lpost&forum_id=59&thread=1531

Speaker cables & Interconnects fabricated for the purpose of better Audio reproduction do make a difference.
For many years I used an ordinary electrical mulistrand wire for speakers & the standard I/C's thrown in by component manufacturers.
When I switched to I/C's & Speaker cables manufactured by Lyrita Audio of Delhi, the diff in sound quality was astonishing-my only regret is that I did'nt do the switch earlier,bec I did'nt know that these things make a diff!
And yes , I agree with the statement that your system has to be resolving enough to be able to take advantage of better cables-it seems quite logical, I cant understand why tere is a dispute on this.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back