Tips for choosing car-tyres..?

TheSeeker

hello everyone,

i need to get the stock-tyres that my car came with, replaced soon (maruti suzuki brezza, with mrf wanderer sport, 205 60r16). i dont have any knowledge about this so began reading & ended up getting confused (as earlier i was thinking to get michelin), hence thought to seek some suggestions. a friend suggested continental & yokohama (and michelin, but with the caution that they wear out soon & very prone to punctures...read something like this online as well, pertaining to indian roads). his reason to suggest continental was because of its very good ridges & grip (for wet roads esp), and he claimed its very well-suited for indian roads, though it might impact the mileage a bit.

am also keeping bridgestone as an option (as well as apollo amazer 4g, reading some good things about it).

usage-scenario is like - the car is seldom taken out for long drives, and usually only for short distances in the home-city, around home. at times it stays idle for 20-25 days at a stretch. isnt used for any daily commutes.
so its mostly driven in the pothole-ridden & bumpy cityroads, and very few times if any, for 'offroading' (ie, when taken out to go for some outing).

could anyone pls advise (with model if possible)? planning to get it done in the next 1-2 days as have to soon leave the city for work & then again the car would remain idle for atleast a few weeks.

Considering the usage of the car, I would suggest one of the below in no particular order. You could choose based on availability at your nearest trusted tyre shop.

1. Apollo Alnac 4G
  2. Goodyear Assurance
  3. CONTINENTAL ContiUltraContact
  4. Yokohama HE400
  5. Kenda KR-10
  6. MRF Wanderer
They are not too expensive and should fit your requirement quite well. There obviously are better tyres which could be more expensive too, but not needed in your case.

MaSh

hello everyone,

i need to get the stock-tyres that my car came with, replaced soon (maruti suzuki brezza, with mrf wanderer sport, 205 60r16). i dont have any knowledge about this so began reading & ended up getting confused (as earlier i was thinking to get michelin), hence thought to seek some suggestions. a friend suggested continental & yokohama (and michelin, but with the caution that they wear out soon & very prone to punctures...read something like this online as well, pertaining to indian roads). his reason to suggest continental was because of its very good ridges & grip (for wet roads esp), and he claimed its very well-suited for indian roads, though it might impact the mileage a bit.

am also keeping bridgestone as an option (as well as apollo amazer 4g, reading some good things about it).

usage-scenario is like - the car is seldom taken out for long drives, and usually only for short distances in the home-city, around home. at times it stays idle for 20-25 days at a stretch. isnt used for any daily commutes.
so its mostly driven in the pothole-ridden & bumpy cityroads, and very few times if any, for 'offroading' (ie, when taken out to go for some outing).

could anyone pls advise (with model if possible)? planning to get it done in the next 1-2 days as have to soon leave the city for work & then again the car would remain idle for atleast a few weeks.
If the car is seldom ever used, why don't you contemplate getting a set of grippier tires in order to add some fun into the mix. The best set of tires I ever had were the Goodyear Eagle F1s which stuck to the tarmac like a leech and were shredded to bits within 20K kms because of the high speeds and hard cornering that they incited. In any case, you can't go wrong with Michelin, Bridgestone or Continental.

I replaced the stock (MRF) tyres with Continental tyres and noticed a reduction in the tyre sound while on the highway at moderately high speed. (Important if listening to music while driving)
Not sure if it was because the old tyres were worn out (35k km) hence more noisy.
While choosing a replacement I only had the manufacturer claims and the budget as guideposts. I don’t think anyone has done AB testing with brand new tyres from different brands to compare as retailers will not agree.
Also some tyres are designed for off road driving (more grip=less mileage?)
If your roads are like what we have in Bengaluru, off road types may be better suited. :)

hello everyone,

look for the one with good sidewall protection and best comfort

I have used Michelin/Pirelli and Yokohama over time as my upgrade and all have been excellent. IN terms of Ride quality and grip prefer Michelin. the extra price is usually worth it in terms of comfort, reduced noise..both of which are apparent.

Have not had any puncture so far in city and long distance over 4 years. my usage has been low due to covid but have driven on really bad roads.

You may be better off asking experts at the team bhp forum though. there is a lot of experience there.

Considering the usage of the car, I would suggest one of the below in no particular order. You could choose based on availability at your nearest trusted tyre shop.

1. Apollo Alnac 4G
  2. Goodyear Assurance
  3. CONTINENTAL ContiUltraContact
  4. Yokohama HE400
  5. Kenda KR-10
  6. MRF Wanderer
They are not too expensive and should fit your requirement quite well. There obviously are better tyres which could be more expensive too, but not needed in your case.

MaSh

thanks for suggesting the model-types as well!

I replaced the stock (MRF) tyres with Continental tyres and noticed a reduction in the tyre sound while on the highway at moderately high speed. (Important if listening to music while driving)
Not sure if it was because the old tyres were worn out (35k km) hence more noisy.
While choosing a replacement I only had the manufacturer claims and the budget as guideposts. I don’t think anyone has done AB testing with brand new tyres from different brands to compare as retailers will not agree.
Also some tyres are designed for off road driving (more grip=less mileage?)
If your roads are like what we have in Bengaluru, off road types may be better suited. :)

thanks! am not aware about b'luru roads, albeit yes, i can relate. suffice to say that the roads are not good here as well, owing to constant digging up everywhere & then 4-5 months of rains.
i was told the same for continental, that they will be grippier, (and hence) would affect the mileage a bit.

look for the one with good sidewall protection and best comfort

I have used Michelin/Pirelli and Yokohama over time as my upgrade and all have been excellent. IN terms of Ride quality and grip prefer Michelin. the extra price is usually worth it in terms of comfort, reduced noise..both of which are apparent.

Have not had any puncture so far in city and long distance over 4 years. my usage has been low due to covid but have driven on really bad roads.

You may be better off asking experts at the team bhp forum though. there is a lot of experience there.

thanks for reminding about that point! side-wall bursting yes i read could be an issue of concern and thus qualitywise one needs to keep that in mind when choosing tyres.
i also read that michelin tyres wear-out 10-20% faster/earlier than of its other competitors. need to give it a thought.
not a team-bhp member, but i did go through a similar thread there. wasnt though updated/concluded by the OP.

-------------

thanks again everyone!

thanks for reminding about that point! side-wall bursting yes i read could be an issue of concern and thus qualitywise one needs to keep that in mind when choosing tyres.
i also read that michelin tyres wear-out 10-20% faster/earlier than of its other competitors. need to give it a thought.
not a team-bhp member, but i did go through a similar thread there. wasnt though updated/concluded by the OP.

-------------

thanks again everyone!
I am not sure if the wear out as that big an issue and definitely not 20%. but they do last long. and if the difference is not much and compromise is between better ride quality and wearing out..I would prefer the ride quality !

hello all,
to conclude the thread, would like to share the update that after some extensive reading i have gotten the tyres changed to continental uc6 (purchased for ~8k per tyre, minus some discount through buyback of the old tyres. cost seemed reasonable to me after gleaning from couple of online marketplaces). alignment, balancing & fixing etc were done without any additional charges by the dealer. i had shortlisted the uc6 plus continental cc6, michelin's primacy 4st, yokohama bluearth ae50, bridgestone turanza t001, mrf perfinza, apollo alnac 4gs and a couple more. some of them werent in stock (for eg, the turanza t001). could have ofcourse gone with the same make-model as my stock tyres (mrf wanderer sport), but then thought to give a try to uc6, reading arguably the most all-round good feedback about them & continental's warranty-cover/service (the tyres carry 3Y unconditional & 2Y conditional warranty).

thanks again everyone for helping me with your suggestions!

P.S. - yokohama is running an offer on its earth-1 & bluearth tyres (and possibly on others as well) - on purchase of 4 tyres one gets a 'tropicool' brand electric tyre inflator free (that costs 1800/-, mrp being 2300/-).

I am looking to change tyre for my car and have almost decided to go with Continental UC6. But I am little concerned with the sidewall protection in this tyre. Can anyone share their experience of they had any issue considering driving on mix of good and bad roads.

I am looking to change tyre for my car and have almost decided to go with Continental UC6. But I am little concerned with the sidewall protection in this tyre. Can anyone share their experience of they had any issue considering driving on mix of good and bad roads.

I've had the Continental UC6 for the past few months and they are pretty good. They were recommended by quite a few after I was looking to replace the stock Bridgestones on my Innova Crysta. So far no issues except for a few punctures that were as a result of a few nails but that's really no fault of the tyre.

Have made one trip to Goa and two trips to Mumbai so far. Ride quality is good and has not been an issue.

Hi...have to change my 205 60 R 16 tyres for my Scross diesel car.thinking of UC6 but can these tyres take rough kachha roads ...i have a trip planned in my village this year where there are no mettaled roads.or should i chose between Earth1 or perfinza.my max running otheriwse will be city only with 2 or3 highway trips this year only.also if i have to chose which one should it be between earth 1 and perfinza

Had used Earth1 tyres last year on the infamous Goti road on the way to Bhandardara which was 8 kms mud road (as the road was being made) and 12 kms of full potholed ridden tar road on first gear. It survived for the next short trip this year too. But the tyres at that point in time were new. Earth1 seems good so far. Dont know anything of Perfinza though.
Only issue with Earth1 is, very small stones/pebbles may get lodged in the grooves as they are a bit wide.

Last edited:
Only issue with Earth1 is, very small stones/pebbles may get lodged in the grooves as they are a bit wide.

have noticed this in my UC6 as well...and have driven on rough roads, pothole-ridden roads, kachcha roads, roads with mud & slush etc during this time since getting these tyres. but havent noticed any other (detrimental) issue so far @anirudh panwar.

have noticed this in my UC6 as well...and have driven on rough roads, pothole-ridden roads, kachcha roads, roads with mud & slush etc during this time since getting these tyres. but havent noticed any other (detrimental) issue so far @anirudh panwar.
Earth 1 is quite good for Indian roads in my limited experience so far. Though I have used them mostly on city roads.

Hi...have to change my 205 60 R 16 tyres for my Scross diesel car.thinking of UC6 but can these tyres take rough kachha roads ...i have a trip planned in my village this year where there are no mettaled roads.or should i chose between Earth1 or perfinza.my max running otheriwse will be city only with 2 or3 highway trips this year only.also if i have to chose which one should it be between earth 1 and perfinza
Go for it.. I am using it from last 5 years, no issues so far...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back