To All Chennai Residents

venkatcr

Guys, 2009 monsoon has set in in earnest from today.

I would like to remind all HFV members residing in Chennai to unplug their expensive A/V equipment completely from the power socket before they go to sleep every night. In addition if there is a sudden storm during daytime, please request someone at home to unplug the equipment. This simple step will save your equipment from being possibly fried. Of course if there is severe rain or thunderstorm, please put off and unplug all equipment. Your movies and music will not run away. Would you rather miss a movie or get thousands of Rupees worth of equipment fried? Remember, 100,000 volts is bad for your equipment.

Take care,

Cheers

Last edited:
10K volts is bad for anyone Venkat. Also this message would apply to all and not just Chennai residents.

Guys, 2009 monsoon has set in in earnest from taday.

I would like to remind all HFV members residing in Chennai to unplug their expensive A/V equipment completely from the power socket before they go to sleep every night. In addition if there is a sudden storm during daytime, please request someone at home to unplug the equipment. This simple step will save your equipment from being possibly fried. Of course if there is severe rain or thunderstorm, please put off and unplug all equipment. Your movies and music will not run away. Would you rather miss a movie or get thousands of Rupees worth of equipment fried? Remember, 100,000 volts is bad for your equipment.

Take care,

Cheers

10K volts is bad for anyone Venkat. Also this message would apply to all and not just Chennai residents.

Oh, Absolutely ! But, since I reside in Chennai and am conversant with when the monsoon starts here, I thought I will give a friendly warning. But, yes, as you say, it is valid for all people.

Cheers

Take care,

Cheers
Hai Vankat,

Thanks for your alert. I would like to bring to this forum, a very bad experience I had about 10 years ago. We had a 21" SAMSUNG TV which we had left in standby mode overnight with the Cable TV connection. There was heavy thunderstorm the whole night . In the morning we noticed that the the TVs motherboard was dead after a lightning strike. The TV though repaired by the Authorised service center, did not give the same picture clarity as it used to . So finally we had to dispose that and go for a new one.

N.Murali

I would like to remind all HFV members residing in Chennai to unplug their expensive A/V equipment completely from the power socket before they go to sleep every night. In addition if there is a sudden storm during daytime, please request someone at home to unplug the equipment. This simple step will save your equipment from being possibly fried. Of course if there is severe rain or thunderstorm, please put off and unplug all equipment.
Bro,
A basic question,
1) Is it advisable to rely on a branded voltage stabilizer ?
2) Will a stabilizer stop us from unplugging our HT setup like HTIB, Plasma, XMP etc from thunder / lightening ?
3) If yes, can we still take the risk of playing movies / music during bad weather ?
4) Finally is it worth installing a stabilizer for our HT setup ?

Thanks,
Ranga.

1) Is it advisable to rely on a branded voltage stabilizer ?
4) Finally is it worth installing a stabilizer for our HT setup ?

These questions have been discussed a number of times in this forum. I will give you a short answer. A good stabiliser is not only worth for your system, it is essential.

2) Will a stabilizer stop us from unplugging our HT setup like HTIB, Plasma, XMP etc from thunder / lightening ?

A stabiliser is meant to control variations between say 150 volts to 300 volts. No stabiliser can protect you from lightning that can go upto 200,000 volts. Though there are some surge protectors that guarantee against lightning strikes, they all depend upon a good earthing system, and take a chance such as insurance companies do. If you strike any equipment with 100,000 volts, believe me it will fry.

3) If yes, can we still take the risk of playing movies / music during bad weather ?

If you have a good relationship with an insurance company and have particularly taken care of Force Majeure, yes, you can take of getting your equipment fried and new equipment.

Cheers

Dear Venkatcr,
Namasthe. We HiFi forum members thank you for cautioning our members against high voltage attacks by nature during monsoons. Though some of us are well aware of the dangers in running costly AV equipments and electrical/electronic gadgets during thunderstroms/lightning none could have given forethought to caution our fellow HiFi members. But our senior forum member VENKATCR goes deep in to the minutest problems in AV and has been giving timely tips and precautions to be followed by all of us. Today being Thulasi Puja I pray Goddess Thulasi to give HiFi wizards like Venkatcr long life to guide us all through this wonderful HiFi Vision Forum.
Raslibi/Ramamurthy.
Mysore.

Thanks for the heads up Venkat sir, I didnt realize just keeping them plugged(though switched off) would do them harm..

Cheers
S

Hai Vankat,

Thanks for your alert. I would like to bring to this forum, a very bad experience I had about 10 years ago. We had a 21" SAMSUNG TV which we had left in standby mode overnight with the Cable TV connection. There was heavy thunderstorm the whole night . In the morning we noticed that the the TVs motherboard was dead after a lightning strike. The TV though repaired by the Authorised service center, did not give the same picture clarity as it used to . So finally we had to dispose that and go for a new one.

N.Murali

Can the surge or spike travel from cable TV co-ax wire to the TV? Should that be disconnected as well?

TIA

Can the surge or spike travel from cable TV co-ax wire to the TV? Should that be disconnected as well?

A lighting strike will travel down to earth by the shortest possible path. Many buildings have a long post on their roof that will offer themselves for the lightning to pass through. These posts are directly connected to an earthing system.

Yes, a DTH aerial can also act as conduit for lightning. If you have severe lightning or thunderstorms and your building does not have a lightning post, it is safer to disconnect the coaxial cable carrying the TV signal. When you do that, make sure it is out of reach of children who may tend to play with it. See if you can keep the tip connected to a wall or something that can earth the surge, if there is one.

Cheers

Today being Thulasi Puja I pray Goddess Thulasi to give HiFi wizards like Venkatcr long life to guide us all through this wonderful HiFi Vision Forum. Ramamurthy.

Thank you so much, Ramamurthy, for your kind wishes. Today happens to be my birthday also, so that becomes a double blessing.

Cheers

A lighting strike will travel down to earth by the shortest possible path. Many buildings have a long post on their roof that will offer themselves for the lightning to pass through. These posts are directly connected to an earthing system.

Yes, a DTH aerial can also act as conduit for lightning. If you have severe lightning or thunderstorms and your building does not have a lightning post, it is safer to disconnect the coaxial cable carrying the TV signal. When you do that, make sure it is out of reach of children who may tend to play with it. See if you can keep the tip connected to a wall or something that can earth the surge, if there is one.

Cheers

My terrace has many cables hauled from building to building. Is it safe for children to touch during a thunderstorm?

TIA

My terrace has many cables hauled from building to building. Is it safe for children to touch during a thunderstorm?

This is very difficult to answer, as one never knows which cable will carry the lightning strike. During a thunderstorm, it is always safe to stay away from trees, not touch tall metal posts, etc. There are enough stories of humans and animals that have been killed standing next to trees, leaning on telephone poles, and such.

I am assuming that children will not be playing on the roof during a thunderstorm. Hopefully the lightning will be carried to earth by a tall pole. Generally nothing should happen, BUT, it is better to be safe, and give the children enough warning about potential dangers.

Cheers

Happy returns of the day, Venkat and thanks for the timely reminder. Had my TV go kaput few years back.

BTW, how about the telephone cable? does it have to be disconnected from the modem too? and is it safe to disconnect anything at all during a thunderstorm?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back