To buy good subwoofer

Apologies, but I guess we are back to square one.

You need to fix up a budget first, then the AVR and then the speakers. For your room size, a Denon 1910, Yamaha 665 or Onkyo 607 could do well. You could also go for 2310/765/707 depending on the budget.

Put a cap on your budget, then we could close on the rest (including a Sub) one by one.

Apologies, but I guess we are back to square one.

You need to fix up a budget first, then the AVR and then the speakers. For your room size, a Denon 1910, Yamaha 665 or Onkyo 607 could do well. You could also go for 2310/765/707 depending on the budget.

Put a cap on your budget, then we could close on the rest (including a Sub) one by one.

You are right. I almost zeroed in on Denon 2310 / Onkyo 707. but my wifey is strongly against setting up a full fledged HT at home right now. So, I thought of at least to add extra punch to my existing Sony mini Hifi (got LFE to connect subwoofer) and Home PC (got LFE) which has got onboard 7.1 channel output along with BenQ 22" Full HD monitor.

I really wanted to go by the proper way to setup HT as our forum buddies suggested but its very difficult for me to convince my wife as we are currently living in a rented a house. She insists me to go for full/proper HT once we move to our own house/apart (which we are currently planning). Moreover, I don't even have proper space to accomodate an AVR and I need to modify my existing entertainment panel(Its a fixed wooden setup :() if I really wanted to. For which I need to get permission from my house owner also.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your help and suggestions. I wish I could get my ideal HT setup especially after the audition at Modern World with Klipsch setup I am excited to have one at my home ASAP. But hope you guys understand my position :(

Please let me know if it will not be worth to add a good (active) subwoofer to my existing system (without go for a AVR) which has got two bookshelfs (Sony hybrid 4" double subwoofers but doesn't give the punch I am expecting).

Thanks

Last edited:
Saw in the 1st page that you are not so confident in DIY stuff.I have been using and making DIY hi-fi for the past few years.one of my customer who had Technics 5.1 receiver and Bose 5.1 speaker system bought from the US,heard my DIY setup and bought it.
He now uses my setup and gave the Technics/Bose setup to his brother...later his brother bought a DIY subwoofer from me for that extra punch.If you are not into DIY,you can have the best of both worlds.buy a good receiver and DIY speaker setup or better you can buy a processor which can decode most of the audio(DTS,Dolby)+DIY amplifier and speakers.

If there is good DIYer in your reach,its a bargain for you...total value for money..all that company HT is worth the money when your budget is something like 3+lacs..I have seen some entry level HT setup.when compared with DIY,they are avoidable with lots of money saved.
A guy in here bought Yamaha sound processor and added DIY amplifier and speakers.It cost around 1lac for the whole setup,processor being the costliest part.you can have Philips HTS 9800 7.1 HT or any other model or Sony HT for not much money

Last edited:
Saw in the 1st page that you are not so confident in DIY stuff.I have been using and making DIY hi-fi for the past few years.one of my customer who had Technics 5.1 receiver and Bose 5.1 speaker system bought from the US,heard my DIY setup and bought it.
He now uses my setup and gave the Technics/Bose setup to his brother...later his brother bought a DIY subwoofer from me for that extra punch.If you are not into DIY,you can have the best of both worlds.buy a good receiver and DIY speaker setup or better you can buy a processor which can decode most of the audio(DTS,Dolby)+DIY amplifier and speakers.

If there is good DIYer in your reach,its a bargain for you...total value for money..all that company HT is worth the money when your budget is something like 3+lacs..I have seen some entry level HT setup.when compared with DIY,they are avoidable with lots of money saved.
A guy in here bought Yamaha sound processor and added DIY amplifier and speakers.It cost around 1lac for the whole setup,processor being the costliest part.you can have Philips HTS 9800 7.1 HT or any other model or Sony HT for not much money

Sarith, Can you post details of your diy sub? Where are you located in Kerala:)?

Sarith, Can you post details of your diy sub? Where are you located in Kerala:)?

I did this sub 2-3yrs back..that time I used 2*12" Bolton in 1" MDF ported enclosure with mosfet amp..
for the other guy,I used one 10" pressed paper cone subwoofer with double magnet and very big rubber surround (covering quarter of the cone)..

was an awkward name...it was an imported one bought from a TVM shop..again mosfet amp..3/4" MDF ported enclosure..dampening material in all my builds..

rubber tape is applied to the surface of connectors and woofer to make sure no air is leaking..

if using carpet to cover the wood,no use for the tape..I prefer Mica over carpet,but carpet won't get damaged easily :)

(location-tvm)

Periyar - I would suggest that you go for an entry level but decent sub like Wharfedale 150 for now and revisit your whole setup whenever you are ready to add the AVR, speakers etc. The Onkyo brand showrooms also have an entry level sub for 10k, check that out. This Onkyo may not be that great, might be OK for your current use.

I did this sub 2-3yrs back..that time I used 2*12" Bolton in 1" MDF ported enclosure with mosfet amp..
for the other guy,I used one 10" pressed paper cone subwoofer with double magnet and very big rubber surround (covering quarter of the cone)..

was an awkward name...it was an imported one bought from a TVM shop..again mosfet amp..3/4" MDF ported enclosure..dampening material in all my builds..

rubber tape is applied to the surface of connectors and woofer to make sure no air is leaking..

if using carpet to cover the wood,no use for the tape..I prefer Mica over carpet,but carpet won't get damaged easily :)

(location-tvm)
hey sarith ..
10" pressed paper cone subwoofer can you get it many people will go for it for sure!

Periyar - I would suggest that you go for an entry level but decent sub like Wharfedale 150 for now and revisit your whole setup whenever you are ready to add the AVR, speakers etc. The Onkyo brand showrooms also have an entry level sub for 10k, check that out. This Onkyo may not be that great, might be OK for your current use.

Thanks. Could you please let me know where can I look for Wharfedales at Bangalore?

Also, how'bt Polk DSW PRO 600? At ProFX, they mentioned the price as Rs 30K.

For the money, the Whafedale SW150 is an excellent well built sub - fast and musical.

img1278yz2.jpg

You can find it at -
Vector Systems near St.Joseph College in Brigade Road.

The last time I picked it up for a friend, it was 17k from Decibels in Gem Plaza, Infantry Road (heard they moved elsewhere) Recently in here, the updated prices mentioned are between 19-21k. You might want to get in touch with Ramesh aka hifipal4all in the forum if you are open to used ones.

PS: Anand of Decibels is a very helpful guy. Wonder where he opened his renovated shop! I can't say the same about Vector systems though.

Happy auditions.

Thanks. Could you please let me know where can I look for Wharfedales at Bangalore?

Also, how'bt Polk DSW PRO 600? At ProFX, they mentioned the price as Rs 30K.

Vector Systems, Brigade Road (next to St. Josephs Commerce College) and Total Sound, South End Circle (next to bangalore hospital) both deal with Wharfedale......... Vector has Onkyo, Denon........Total Sound has Yamaha.

If you want to demo Denon 2310 with Mission, you can drop by my place. Mission are good budget speakers, maybe you can consider them.

Cheers.

can u give me mobile no. of DIY dealer i am intrested to bye a subwoofer cross over frequency at least 15 Htz to 140 Htz
hellmate9(rajasthan)

Vector Systems, Brigade Road (next to St. Josephs Commerce College) and Total Sound, South End Circle (next to bangalore hospital) both deal with Wharfedale......... Vector has Onkyo, Denon........Total Sound has Yamaha.

If you want to demo Denon 2310 with Mission, you can drop by my place. Mission are good budget speakers, maybe you can consider them.

Cheers.

Thanks for the offer to audition your 2310 with Mission setup and I'll let you know soon.

Spoke to Ramnathan @ Vector Systems and Ali @ ARN systems - Frazer Town. Will go for audition and let you know.

The 10" pressed paper cone subwoofer I bought kinda looks like this...with butyl rubber surround...it was power hungry and weighty...but good result

I have used look alike sub,probably asian..pressed paper cone and rubber surround..gets to see this kinda stuff only once..got one few years back..after that...never :(

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all our forum members who has provided valuable suggestions to my request for subwoofer.

Of late, lot had happened at my side and I wasn't able to respond in the forum. Good news is, "Finally I have convinced my wife and got permission to go for full fledged HT setup :eek:hyeah:". It also requires a few arrangements (moving things, put up small stand etc, but not allowed to make any structural changes) in my living room. Budget allowed is Rs.2.5 Lakhs :yahoo:

Already went for audition at ProFx and ARN systems in Bangalore last weekend. And, I feel that this thread will not be relevant to discuss further on this. So, please bear with me and I would like to start a new thread with a title - "My new HT setup with Rs.2.5 Lakhs" under "What should I buy" Section. I will write my audition experience at ProFx and ARN Systems and my requirements.

Looking for your valuable suggestions there.. http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/7203-my-new-ht-setup-rs-2-5-lakhs.html#post91886

Thanks a lot to you all.

Regards,
Periyar

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back